PDA

View Full Version : Wide Board glue up, wider than Jointer

Philip Florio
03-03-2009, 5:19 PM
I'm building a router cabinet. The plans call for a board that is 9" wide, the board is Pine. From this board I will cut out the Base front, back and side along with the molding. The board is only 3/4" thick so I'm going to take another board and re saw it so I can build up the thickness.

My jointer is only 6", my question is can I just use the planer or drum sander to flatten the the 2 boards so I can glue them together?

Thanks,
Phil

Stephen Edwards
03-03-2009, 5:34 PM
Sorry, I don't really understand your question. You're saying that the plans call for a board that is 9" wide, from which you will cut into other smaller boards? You mention that it is only 3/4 thick. How thick is that board supposed to be?

What is the cut list of the boards that you are supposed to get from that one 9" board. How long is the board? Answers to these questions will help folks better answer your question.

Chip Lindley
03-03-2009, 5:40 PM
As to your question, edge-joint the 2 boards on the jointer, glue together, and THEN plane or drum sand them flat. It is difficult if not impossible to edge-glue two boards together perfectly without further planing or sanding.

Pine comes in 1x10's which are 9.25" wide. (or used to be) If you need thicker than 3/4", use a 2x10! What is preventing you from using one wide board for your parts?

I am unclear as to what problem the 3/4" thickness poses for you.

glenn bradley
03-03-2009, 5:53 PM
Well don't scare him off guys. Philip, can you rephrase your question or possibly post a page of the plan?

Philip Florio
03-03-2009, 11:08 PM
The plan calls for a thickness of 1 1/16". All I could get was the 3/4" thickness that was 9" wide X 48" long.

The plan also suggest to have the board to be 8" wide and 48" long. The pieces to be cut from this are are 3-1/2" X25-5/8", 3-1/2" X 18-5/8" and 3-1/2X23-1/2"

Thanks again,
Phil

Stephen Edwards
03-03-2009, 11:54 PM
The plan calls for a thickness of 1 1/16". All I could get was the 3/4" thickness that was 9" wide X 48" long.

The plan also suggest to have the board to be 8" wide and 48" long. The pieces to be cut from this are are 3-1/2" X25-5/8", 3-1/2" X 18-5/8" and 3-1/2X23-1/2"

Thanks again,
Phil

Philip,

Are these boards support boards for the base. Or, are they simply trim base boards around the outside perimeter of the cabinet? If they are trim baseboards only, the 3/4 material should work fine.

If they are the actual support for the cabinet, as another person suggested, you might consider getting a 2 x 10 from the lumber store and planing it down to 1 1/4.

Again, if it's just for trim, I think I'd work with the 3/4 and not worry about it.

Hope this helps.

Mike Gager
03-04-2009, 8:23 AM
was the 3/4 stuff already surfaced? if so its likely pretty flat, id just throw it in the planer

Philip Florio
03-04-2009, 9:27 AM
The 3/4" stock was from the shelves from Home Depot, Select Pine.

This is for decorative purposes. However the cosmetic aspect is that these pieces will extent out more than the vertical molding which would be 3/4".

Phil

Paul Johnstone
03-04-2009, 9:55 AM
I'm building a router cabinet. The plans call for a board that is 9" wide, the board is Pine. From this board I will cut out the Base front, back and side along with the molding. The board is only 3/4" thick so I'm going to take another board and re saw it so I can build up the thickness.

My jointer is only 6", my question is can I just use the planer or drum sander to flatten the the 2 boards so I can glue them together?

Thanks,
Phil

Yes, you can use a planer and skip the jointer. Most of the time that is fine, provided you are starting with a board that is flat. The planer will not flatten the board, but often times the result is good enough.. A drum sander with a low grit is actually better for a board that needs some flattening. It is time consuming but it will flatten the board.

You say you have 3/4" pine, but you need it thicker than that. Yes, you can glue another board to make it thicker, but you might be able to modify the plans. I really doubt a router table needs material greater than 3/4" thick. Give us some more information and we can help.

Jules Dominguez
03-04-2009, 10:15 PM
It's pretty difficult to glue two boards face-to-face and get adhesion across the complete surfaces.The problem is getting adequate clamping pressure in the center. After you glue them they may seem to be completely joined, but you might find that that's not so when you rip them down the center.
I'd try to avoid that problem by starting with wood that's as thick or thicker than needed for the finished product.