PDA

View Full Version : Novelty Plane

Don Rogers
03-03-2009, 4:54 PM
For a some time now, I have enjoyed reading the posts on this forum. Not strictly a Neanderthal woodworker, planes, chisels, spokeshaves, saws, and other hand tools are fascinating to me. Being retired, I managed to make a fairly decent classical guitar and am now in the process of making a few more. Woodworking is a very nice hobby.

This small plane was purchased at a flea market several years ago and may be of interest to some of you. Perhaps someone can tell me something about it.

It is 1.75” long, 1” high, and 1.375” wide (including wings) and is made from nickel-plated 0.065” thick steel. The sole is 1” wide by 1.200” long.The blade is 0.75” wide by 0.028” thick. It is held in with one machine screw and is adjustable for both depth of cut and blade squareness by means of two small setscrews. For some reason, the head of the machine screw and the upper part of the setscrews are painted red.

The only markings on this plane are “PAT PEND”. I have no clue as to its intended purpose or who manufactured it.

The plane fits my hand nicely either pushing or pulling and works well cutting pine. Other woods have not been tried.

Jim Koepke
03-03-2009, 5:42 PM
It looks like an edge trimming plane for use with veneer, instrument or model making.

Most of the ones I have seen do not have the adjustment screws.

jim

Justin Green
03-03-2009, 6:00 PM
The bottom doesn't look very flat, is it curved?

Ben Davis
03-03-2009, 9:57 PM
The red color is making me think Miller's Falls vintage.

Don Rogers
03-03-2009, 11:47 PM
The bottom is flat except for the very front (between the front edge and PAT PEND) which is elevated slightly. When pressing straight down on the plane it is solidly flat but can be tipped up if pressed at its front edge. Looks like it will plane a fairly large inside radius.