PDA

View Full Version : BAndsaw issue

Angus Hines
03-03-2009, 4:09 PM
Yes the first part of the problem is it's the 14" Rigid. Dont use it much so it works or used to.

Anyway, I have no idea why when it used to cut straight I now get these kind of cuts and have to stop.

Chris Tsutsui
03-03-2009, 4:17 PM
I think you posted the wrong picture because that's a shot of my first featherboard.

j/k

Have you given it a tune up yet?

David Marks has a nice band saw tune up video how to on DIYnetwork.com... woodworking videos, then search videos for band saw tuneup.

Prashun Patel
03-03-2009, 4:22 PM
Your blade might just be shot. Dullness, pitch build up can cause the blade to deflect.

The tensioning might be off also.

With a good blade, and proper alignment, the cut should be like butter.

Rick Cicciarelli
03-03-2009, 4:23 PM
I made a post in reference to this same sort of thing happening to me...the post was about a week ago. Made me wonder how anyone was able to cut veneers out of 12" stock when I was getting cuts like yours just trying to go through something 3/4" thick. I haven't taken the time to follow up on the advice, but it definitely sounds like proper setup and a proper blade are all that is needed to fix the problem...

M Toupin
03-03-2009, 4:23 PM
First guess is the blade is shot...

Try the simple solutions first.

Mike

Burt Alcantara
03-03-2009, 4:51 PM
Your blade may also have a kink. They are very subtle and difficult to find but often will cause deflection. Just for the heck of it, crank up the tension until the blade is very taut then try again.

Check the blade for build up. Gummy woods can clog the teeth.

Burt

Pete Bradley
03-03-2009, 4:59 PM
In order starting from most likely:
1. Band is toast (you caught one side of the teeth on metal or a guide, or it's just worn out)
2. Improper tension
3. Guides are chewed up, improperly set, or guide bar isn't locking down properly.

Pete

Brian Kent
03-03-2009, 8:24 PM
After double checking that the blade is centered on the wheels and that your guides are set right, it's the blade.

Angus Hines
03-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks all I'm off for a new blade as thats the only thing I haven't tried.

Rick Fisher
03-04-2009, 12:40 PM
I would check tension, then guides.. then a new blade.

If it still doesnt work... call Mini-Max and order an MM-20.

That will fix the problem as well. :D