PDA

View Full Version : Finishing a ambrosha maple bowl?

jason lambert
03-03-2009, 3:30 PM
Ok I know there is a finishing forum but I think I would probably get a more accurate answer here.

Anyhow I just finished my first ambrosha mape bowl/vase. I now need to put a finish on it. I would like some recomedations for something that will bring out the wood but not yellow to much, a little yellow is fine. Mainly I want some thing I can't screw up to much. I tried waterlux on a previous project but could never get that nice and even without stuff in it.

Belton Garvin
03-03-2009, 3:36 PM
I just finished a couple Ambrosia Maple bowls and finished them with Deft spray lacquer. One coat of Deft lacquer sanding sealer followed by a couple coats of your choice of shine (Gloss, Semi-Gloss, Satin) I was happy with the finish with very little yellowing. Extremely easy to apply and dries quickly.

Scott Conners
03-03-2009, 4:37 PM
Deft lacquer, easy to apply, easy to buff out to an amazing finish. It will yellow very little, and is a really nice clear deep finish if you like that glossy look.

David Pearson
03-03-2009, 4:41 PM
if you don't like the glossy look you can use satin wipe-on poly. I did a couple last week and they turned out really nice.

Don Carter
03-03-2009, 5:29 PM
Jason:
Give the Minwax Antique Oil a try. It is very easy and after three coats and wait for it to cure, then buff. It really does look good and feels great.

All the best.

Don

Nathan Hawkes
03-03-2009, 5:51 PM
Another vote for Minwax Antique Oil. It's a really easy to use, good finish, and if you sand enough beforehand, you get a perfect, flawless finish. You can get a much deeper shimmer to the grain with an oil finish like this than poly. You might have to go to a paint store to get it; it isn't carried at the box stores. Keep it closed; it oxidizes very quickly & will skim over if you don't close it. I pour mine into old medicine bottles for easy use.

charlie knighton
03-03-2009, 6:26 PM
me too

i am having a hard time deciding what to finish an ambrosha maple form

i really do not have a place to do lacquer espically in winter

i have some clear poly and some clear wax or could bleach it, but i would like to to have a non brown form, just natural maple and the ambrosha highlighted

outside ok, inside less than ok but i going to do something around the top. when i turned the bottom off i ended up with 2 different shades of maple where i tried to blend it in, sanded smooth, still have a differance in shade

i have an idea, it just may take a while for me to learn how to do it, for
the top opening which is about 4.5 inches while the form is 6.5 x 6.5 inches

anybody have an idea for finish for just natural maple and the ambrosha highlighted?

Bernie Weishapl
03-03-2009, 7:15 PM
I used minwax antique oil on one of mine and General Finishes Seal-A-Cell followed by Arm-R-Seal.