PDA

View Full Version : project pics

Ken DeMarco
07-15-2004, 11:28 AM
Well, here is my first attempt at carving, as you can see still a along way to go, but I am having fun practicing. The wood is sassafrass, no finnish just wiped with mineral spirits. Also attached is a picture of a rocking chair made for my nephew, made of white oak with all M&T joinery. It was a quick fun project that provded a needed break from tile work. I usually read the forums here several times a week and thought it was time to add something.
Thanks
Ken DeMarco
Sylvania

Gary Whitt
07-15-2004, 11:58 AM
That's a very good first attempt at carving!!! :D

BTW...
I like the noose over the chair....... :rolleyes:
Subliminal message.....

Byron Trantham
07-15-2004, 12:04 PM
Looks great. :D :D I just don't have the patients. :mad:

Jason Tuinstra
07-15-2004, 12:40 PM
Ken, thanks for the addition. Looks nice. Looks like you have a pretty nice shop there as well.

Alan Turner
07-15-2004, 3:04 PM
Ken,
Looks like a good start to me. I too feel the need to learn carving, and will start by taking a class this Fall. The course will concern the making of a Newport Kneehole Desk, which will be nice, but the only good reason to take the course is for the carving, of which there is a fair amount.

I note your bandsaw dust collection setup. You run two hoses to one port for mobile connection, I assume. Good idea. Is this a stardard way to do it? Thus far I only dust collect my top port and just ignore the bottom one, but you may have inspired me.
Alan

Ken DeMarco
07-15-2004, 6:08 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words! I am just kind of feeling my way in the dark on the carving, much more of a challange than I thought it would be, If anyone has a good book recomendation, I'm all ears. Alan, I don't know if its standard but it seems to work pretty good so far. I've only had the saw for a month now.

Cecil Arnold
07-15-2004, 10:46 PM
Ken, great first attempt. I fear my 20th or 30th wouldn't look nearly as good.

Jerry Olexa
07-15-2004, 11:11 PM
Ken Great first attempt. Looks good as does your shop! A few years ago, we lived in Sylvania, Ohio. Great town!