PDA

View Full Version : Replacement motor for PM66

CPeter James
03-03-2009, 2:37 PM
I have a friend who is looking a a used PM66 but will need to find a replacement motor or other easy, simple means to deal the the 5 hp 3 phase motor that is on it now. He has a complete shop and will not be getting into other 3 phase machines, do this will be a one time problem.

CPeter

Joe Meazle
03-03-2009, 2:58 PM
Here is the thread where I dealt with the same situation.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=93254

I have not had time to put it to the test yet. I will report back once I have.

Mark Norman
03-03-2009, 3:05 PM
For $600 he could use the single phase 220v household current on the three phase motor using one of these.

http://www.driveswarehouse.com/Drives/AC+Drives/Phase+Converter+VFD/PC1-50.html

If he was to convert to a single phase motor he would need to change out the variable drive anyways.

Mike Wellner
03-03-2009, 3:05 PM
Look at the label for frame size and go from there.

Rod Sheridan
03-03-2009, 4:03 PM
I have a friend who is looking a a used PM66 but will need to find a replacement motor or other easy, simple means to deal the the 5 hp 3 phase motor that is on it now. He has a complete shop and will not be getting into other 3 phase machines, do this will be a one time problem.

CPeter

Hi Peter, is 5 HP really required?

If not, obtain the frame number from the motor and purchase a 3 HP motor to fit the saw.

Regards, Rod.

Steve Prill
03-03-2009, 10:03 PM
I had the same issue last June. I bought a late 1990's PM66 with a 5HP, 3-phase motor. I found that the best replacement motor bang for the buck was a Lesson 3HP motor from "electricmotorsite" which was selling on ebay. The motor I purchased was listed as "New 3 HP Leeson 3450 TEFC 1 Phase Electric Motor 145TC." This motor has a C face and bolted right up in place of the Baldor 5HP motor. Works great and runs smooth.

Steve

Mark Norman
03-03-2009, 10:17 PM
I had the same issue last June. I bought a late 1990's PM66 with a 5HP, 3-phase motor. I found that the best replacement motor bang for the buck was a Lesson 3HP motor from "electricmotorsite" which was selling on ebay. The motor I purchased was listed as "New 3 HP Leeson 3450 TEFC 1 Phase Electric Motor 145TC." This motor has a C face and bolted right up in place of the Baldor 5HP motor. Works great and runs smooth.

Steve
What did you do for speed control Steve?

Chip Lindley
03-04-2009, 1:26 AM
Mark, why is speed control needed on a table saw? 3450 rpm motors are the norm. A spindle rpm of about 4000 is standard.

IMO, a dedicated $600 VFD solution to utilize the 5hp 3-phase motor seems a bit whacked, compared to purchasing a rotary phase converter or single phase replacement motor.

I found several new 5hp RPCs in the $400-$600 range on eBay. Same or less Bucks...vastly expanded capabilities for multiple machines. (never say NEVER!)

The "New 3 HP Leeson 3450 TEFC 1 Phase Electric Motor 145TC" mentioned by Steve is $287.99!! A used C-face motor would MOST definately be cheaper!

The Rock Bottom cheapest solution to running the 5hp PM66 on single phase current is a static phase converter. (around $100) Although these are less efficient than rotary phase converters or VFDs, a 5hp motor putting out 2/3 of its HP still gives 3.33 HP! Few 10" tablesaws are pushed to the limit of stallling a 3HP motor! It is worth a try since only this one 3-phase machine is contemplated in the shop! I doubt seriously if the motor would suffer OR lack of usable power would result from implimenting the very economical SPC.

Mark Norman
03-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Good point Chip, Not sure what I was thinking last night.

A lot of things rolling around my feeble lil mind sometimes...lol

Steve Prill
03-04-2009, 7:40 PM
Speed control...hmm, I never thought of speed control on my table saw but I suppose some thick bois d'arc wood might slow it down a bit.

I looked for several weeks for a used motor and didn't find one at the time. One thing to watch out for is the shaft size. Make sure it's the same as the current motor. If I remember right, I considered a used 2HP motor but the shaft size was different and maybe the hole mount spacing was different.

Steve

Steve H Graham
03-04-2009, 8:34 PM
I kind of wonder if I need the 5 HP motor on my saw. It makes for a more dangerous kickback, and I don't know that I'll ever need the power.