PDA

View Full Version : TV Cabinet Construction Advice...

Vito Baratta
03-03-2009, 1:23 PM
Greetings everyone,

I am seeking some advice for an upcoming project which will be a TV cabinet for a 42" flat screen TV. I am building a small cabinet, nothing that has anything on the sides or on top of the TV, only one shelf and 2 doors below the TV.

I am planning on using 3/4" hard maple plywood for the case construction, held together with dado joints and then dress it up with hardwood face frames to cover the plywood edges. I was also thinking of adding a solid wood top so that the TV sits on it.

My only concern with the hardwood top is that it may warp since this cabinet will go in a basement.

I will most likely be using hard maple.

Is there anything I should watch out for in order to ensure the solid wood top stays flat, such as the method I use to secure it to the rest of the case?

Would I be better off using only hardwood to build the entire case instead of the plywood?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Vito

Rod Sheridan
03-03-2009, 2:44 PM
Hi Vito, the solid top will be better as far as scratches go, however you have the expansion issues if the sides aren't solid wood.

If you make a plywood case, the solid top would have to float somehow to allow for expansion.

This could be a sliding dovetail joint with the top only glued at the front, or the top could be attached with srews in elongated holes.

Regards, Rod.