PDA

View Full Version : List of tools to start with for the beginner...

Rick Cicciarelli
03-03-2009, 9:35 AM
I think I might be going for a Jet 1220VS for my first lathe. I like the reviews, size, options, and price. I will however be leaving me with a tight budget for the hand tools. I have an interest in both spindle work and bowl turning. In order of importance, what would be the top 5-10 tools you would get for covering both spindle work and bowl work, considering I'll probably only be able to buy 2-3 tools at a time. What would be a good quality brand to go with as well? I realize that a bowl gouge is not the same as a spindle gouge, but with a limited budget how would you prioritize you list of tools (including sizes)?

Cyril Griesbach
03-03-2009, 9:50 AM
Woodcraft slow speed grinder
Wolverine sharpening system with Vari-Grind
1" spindle roughing gouge
Parting tool
3/8" detail gouge
1/2" bowl gouge

Paul Douglass
03-03-2009, 9:51 AM
On a limited budget, I'd do what I did. I got Harbor Freight's $40 set (some times cheaper on sell). I have been using them for over 3 years now. I have added some "more expensive" tools, i.e., Crown and I don't see much difference. You have to sharpen them a little more than real expensive probably but for the price, I think they are a very good set. I know I use them more than the others,

Belton Garvin
03-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Everyone has their own opinion, but this is how I did it, and would do it again.

1. Safety gear - Dust mask, eye protection (glasses or shield)
2. Grinder 8" - absolute must (especially with cheaper tools that dull quicker)
3. Sharpening jig - Either hand made or store bought I have the wolverine and like it
4. Tools - HF or similar set - Comes with:
a. Bowl Gouge 3/8" or 1/2" - My "go to" tool
b. Spindle Gouge 3/8" - personally I use my bowl gouge for almost everything, never use my spindle gouge
c. Skew 1" - takes lots of practice...I'm not there yet
d. Spindle Roughing Gouge 3/4" - great for getting things to shape without wearing out your bowl gouge
e. Parting Tool 1/8" - can't part wit much else
5. Sand paper - depending on what you are making a penmakers roll pack will do most things well.

Just my .02, but that covers the basics.

Bear

Alan Trout
03-03-2009, 10:47 AM
First I will say I am no expert. But if I had to do it all over again these are the tools I use 99% of the time. I would buy mostly premium tools that I use most of the time. Cheaper are fine for tools you don't use all the time. I originally purchased a HF set because I was scared of sharpening but quickly found out that it was not all that hard for me at least. Premium tools typically hold a better edge. First I would get 1/2 bowl gouge, I prefer the Thompson 1/2V it is a great tool and make your own handle. Next I recommend a 3/8 spindle gouge and put a fingernail grind on it. This is my favorite for rolling beads and spindle detail work. Next a 1" skew. I use the skew for roughing spindles and also for larger beads. 3/4" round nose scraper. I use the scraper on rare occasions with a really sharp burr to remove tear-out that I cannot remove any other way. Very light touch with this tool or nasty side effects can happen. 3/4 or 1" roughing gouge is a tool I use on rare occasions but can be useful. Parting tool. I have 2 but prefer my 1/8" for most of my parting requirements.

Of course you need a sharpening system. All are pretty good and the choice is really yours. Just be sure to have a good jig for fingernail grinds. I also recommend a diamond honing plate such as a DMT Dou-Sharp bench stones for honing skews and such. Very handy to have.

You can add to this list as your skills progress. That is the process I am in now. Also let me add just three things, practice practice practice your tool handling skills. Time at the lathe is the most important tool and many times the hardest to acquire.

Good Luck

Alan

Bob Hallowell
03-03-2009, 10:56 AM
If you are just talking about turning tools, I would reccomend one of the Harbor freight hss sets. I like the red handle ones better myself but the can only be bought at a store not online. The other set is availible online both are 40-50$ with the red handled set being a little more. For a bowl you can' beat a Doug Thomson 1/2 v grind bowl gouge and I beleive it is around $50.

I have both sets of the Harbor freight tools and use alot of the after several years of turning.

Bob

Kyle Iwamoto
03-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Good choice for a starter lathe. IF you can swing it, the Nova 16" is on sale at Woodcraft. Very sweet deal. I'd get it instead of tools and the Jet, wait a couple months then buy tools so you can use it... LOL

The HF set is definetely a good deal. I just checked the site, they may be on sale at 10 bucks. I didn't think they came with a "bowl gouge" but I guess you could re-grind the small gouges into a semi-bowl type gouge. They're not that deeply fluted. I got mine long ago.

Sharpening system. (a whole discussion here) At least a diamond hone, up to a Tormek.

I'd get a good bowl gouge next. I did pay full retail for a Sorby 3/8 gouge, which I am really happy with, although the Thompson gouges are probably a much better deal. And you get to fashion your own handle. This will be your workhorse.

Good heavy bowl scraper.

From there the vortex will make you spend more and more money. It won't end.

Scott Conners
03-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Very good advice so far. After sharpening and safety gear which are both mandatory, here's my list:
1)Harbor freight set ($40)
2)Thompson 1/2"V bowl gouge
3)3/8" fingernail spindle gouge
4) Benjamin's Best 1"-1 1/2" bowl scraper

I do most bowls with just the 1/2" gouge and a parting tool. Sometimes I use a 3/8" bowl gouge with a rounder flute and steeper grind. For spindles the HF set has roughing gouges, skews, and parting tool, but I dislike the 1/4" spindle gouge that comes with it, my 3/8" sorby fingernail is a FAR better and more versatile tool, I use it for every spindle. The bowl scraper isn't as necessary, but very useful. If you decide against the HF set, the most important parts of the set are (in order) parting tool, skew, roughing gouges, scrapers.

Gordon Seto
03-03-2009, 2:18 PM
Don't rush into getting tools.
Join your local AAW chapter if you can first. You will get support and gain knowledge with hands-on and mentoring programs. Knowing how to use the tools with right technique safely is more important than the actual tool.
Get the best lathe you can afford. As you know what your interests are, you can add what you really want.
In woodturning, you are holding the tool free hand. Using different parts of the edge, varying the tilt, direction or rotation of the tool would yield different effects. A hands-on with following up will shorten your learning curve and save the tool steel.
Don't make the mistake I did. There is no magic tool or tool grind (including the expensive signature tools from famous turners). To maximize the benefit of the tools, it is better to learn how to use them as the famous turners does.

Rick Cicciarelli
03-03-2009, 2:26 PM
I did take a lesson and I certainly see that it does take a fair bit of knowledge to use the right tool correctly, between tilt, angle, edge etc. I will likely take another lesson to refresh it all in my head and get more pointers.

Frankly I am suprised at how many of you have suggested the Harbor Freight tools as a starter kit. In the past I have tried to stay as far away from Harbor Freight as possible. The very limited experience I have with their stuff has not been at all good and I've told myself that I would never buy anything from them again. That whole "bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has been long forgotten" kind of thought.
I would be thinking more of you guys would be suggesting to me to buy 3 or 4 high quality tools to start with instead of going out and buying a whole set of really cheap tools. Not that I am arguing your opinions...I am just surprised...thats all.

Rick Moyer
03-03-2009, 4:55 PM
I'm reading this thread and have similar questions, although I don't think I'll do anything until at least the fall now (golf season starts soon I hope). I thought I would say though that you probably are getting the HF recommendations because you DID say that your budget would be tight for the hand tools.

Scott Conners
03-03-2009, 5:20 PM
It's a matter of budget really. If I could have afforded those basic tools in a good brand from the start, I would have. There is SO much you'll "need" once you get started though, saving money somewhere is really useful, and the set is a surprisingly good start. I did buy 3 Sorby tools to start, but added the HF set asap because I couldn't afford to buy sharpening jigs, sanding supplies, finishing supplies, measuring tools, chucks, drillbits, etc AND buy all the tools I needed/wanted for $40 or more.
For bowls all you really need is a decent bowl gouge and the faceplate that comes with the lathe. For spindles, a 3/8" fingernail gouge, a skew, and a parting tool can do almost anything, if you use the bowl gouge to rough. I prefer a spindle roughing gouge for rough shaping myself, especially for gentle curves.

The HF kit provides a few decent pieces of usable steel that you can learn grinding on, as well as some scrapers and such you can repurpose later for specialty tasks. That lets you get started and figure out what you prefer doing, and where you shoudl spend the real money. I wish I hadn't bought the 3/4" Sorby oval skew at first, because I find I prefer a larger heavier skew and rarely pick it up now. I'd substitute a bedan or parting/beading tool instead, as I find it more useful.

Don Carter
03-03-2009, 5:23 PM
Rick:
If this is going to a long term addiction for you and you have some funds in the budget to spend on the front end, then I would recommend Doug Thompson tools. IMO, they are the best. They come with no handle and that keeps some beginners away and they are not cheap.

I started out with some Penn State Industries tools and Craftsman tools and some shop made tools but then added Doug Thompson tools and will continue to add as funds are/if available.

I don't have the HF tools but I have looked at them and for someone just sticking a toe in the vortex they are very inexpensive if it does not work out and you enter rehab to break the addiction.;)

All the best.

Don

Gordon Seto
03-03-2009, 5:38 PM
It seems we always want more toys that our budget allows. They don't call this hobby a vortex for no reason.
One way works for many is to get a few quality basic tools and make some small turnings from kits. Sell them at work or church to finance the tool fund. Add new tools based on what you really want. At our Club meeting, we have some "hands-on" demo. We have lathes and various tools set up so members can try out themselves.
Buy quality so you don't have to waste money upgrading the same tools later.

Kyle Iwamoto
03-04-2009, 1:34 PM
I normally agree with buy quality once, buy crap and replace. But in the case of the HF tools, cheap gets you a lot. They give you the choice of tools, to see what you "like". Better to spend 40 bucks on 8 tools, use the gouge, and discover you like the skew better. At least you didn't spend the 40 bucks on a gouge that will not see any use. Vice versa too. Most people are afraid of the skew. With the HF set, you get to try both. And it comes with a pretty good roughing gouge. To be honest, I got the whole set, just for the roughing gouge. I was surprised at the good quality of the tools in general. Yes, they are better out there, but these will definetely suffice for the first few months of turning. At the very least, you can practice sharpening, and experienting with different grinds to see what you like, then get your name brand tools of your choice.
Much better than spending 70 bucks on a Spindle Master and finding out I didn't like it. Expensive lesson. Good tool? Yes. No useage. Bad deal.
Oh, anther 2 cents, basic tools, gouge, skew & scraper. The combo tools, such as the spindle master, skewchigouge etc don't do what they can do. Learn the 3 basic and save your money. I should have.

Thom Sturgill
03-04-2009, 3:47 PM
I love my 1220VS, it a great machine for the price. I bought the HF $50 red handle set, but if buying today, I think I might start with the Penn State (Benjamin's Best) (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LXWM1007.html) set that Wood Magazine liked as a best value a couple of years ago. Then add a serious bowl gouge or two or three. Or more spindle gouges if that's what you get into.

I like having several sharp gouges at hand when I start a project as I don't like stopping to sharpen, and as each of my gouges has a slightly different grind, each works best in different aspects of turning.

As several others have said, get safety equipment first and use it, get a grinder if you don't already have one, and if you do get the right wheels for it. Get or make a grinding jig, and get some instruction - join the AAW and your local chapter - its money well spent.
And welcome to the vortex !

Rick Cicciarelli
03-05-2009, 12:20 AM
So is this the kit you are all suggesting then?.....
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=35444

Dewey Torres
03-05-2009, 1:01 AM
Hey Rick,
Since we have the same lathe see here:
This is how I got started

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=101946&highlight=list

Bob Hallowell
03-05-2009, 7:46 AM
I like that set better than thier other hss, I didn't know it was availiable online as I never seen it before. It has a true 3/8 spindle gouge, I like the rouging gouges better they don't have the high wings and are more of a continental gouge, and the scrapers and skews are thicker.

Bob

Thom Sturgill
03-05-2009, 9:11 AM

That's the set I bought. I like the 'continental' gouges and use the smaller one regularly even though I have since bought 'standard' English-style spindle and bowl gouges. Its sort of a half step toward using a skew. If you buy them I would recommend rounding the corners on the skews.

The BB set I recommended earlier has more a more standard selection, but is a little more expensive. It will probably let you go a little longer before you need to add to it, depending on what kind of turning you get into.

Kyle Iwamoto
03-05-2009, 2:02 PM
I got the even cheaper set. It's 45 bucks now. I wanted the roughing gouge. They are both dirt cheap tool sets, and good quality.

If I may suggest a book, get Mini Lathe Magic. After reading it, I turned a walnut goblet that I'm quite proud of. For a first try.....

DVD, Alan Lacer's Skew chisel.