PDA

View Full Version : Hats off to Charles M at Freud America

BOB OLINGER
03-03-2009, 9:07 AM
On Sunday night, I posted a problem I had with a new Freud router concerning getting the router bit shank into the collect. I worked at it for like 1/2 hr., then gave up. I am grateful that Charles M. from Freud America saw my problem and suggested a solution. I tried the solution early this am before leaving for work and SUCCESS!!!! These new engineering designs can be a bit challenging for us older woodworkers, but once figured out, they are great. I'll be remembering Freud on additional purchases.

Ray Dockrey
03-03-2009, 9:42 AM
I am glad you got it figured out. The self releasing collet threw me for a loop the first time I ever used one.

Bill White
03-03-2009, 9:46 AM
WELL?????? Are ya gonna share the solution, or keep it a SECRET???
Bill :confused:

BOB OLINGER
03-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Hi Bill,

Not trying to keep any secrets whatsoever. On this router, the collect has to be snapped into the retaining nut prior to inserting the router bit. In doing so, it opens the collect enough to get the router bit shank inserted. Believe me, I tried everything I could think of; originally didn't give much credence to his suggestion but gave it a try this morning and it worked beautifully.

Chris Padilla
03-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Bob,

How about linking this to the thread you started so everyone has all the info. I could even merge the two threads so everything is in one place.

Rick Gooden
03-03-2009, 12:52 PM
I had a problem with a Freud router about a year ago and Charles went out of his way to help. Best customer service I have ever experienced. If I need it and Freud makes it, I buy it.

Chris Padilla
03-03-2009, 3:09 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=106013

Here is the original thread.

Rick Moyer
03-03-2009, 4:11 PM
Believe me, I tried everything I could think of; ..

Except reading the manual I bet, right Bob? :D

Clifford Mescher
03-03-2009, 6:18 PM
Except reading the manual I bet, right Bob? :D
That gave me a chuckle, Rick. Clifford.

BOB OLINGER
03-04-2009, 9:12 AM
Hi Rick,

Good try - you had me second guessing, so I went home last night and reread the manual (had previously several times) to see if I missed something. The manual explains how to change out the bits OK, but does not refer to this engineering thing where the collet must be snapped into the inside of the retaining nut which actually spreads the collet open enough so you can get the bit in. Maybe most are shipped with the collet snapped into the nut, but mine wasn't and believe me, I couldn't get that 1/2" shank into what looked like a collet about 15/32". Anyway, case is now solved.

James Gillespie, Jr.
03-05-2009, 6:30 PM
Glad you're having better luck with Freud Tech Support than I am. Contacted them in Feb. about a collet that wasn't holding the bits tight. Jim, in Customer Service, said to send it in, they'd send me a replacement. I sent the collet in on 2/24/09, and it was rejected by Freud and returned to me unopened. So I've now paid for shipping a package that was rejected by addressee, the return shipping of the package was postage due to me and I don't have a resolution to my problem. My first experience with Freud's customer service haven't been very good so far. I'm waiting to hear back from Jim as to what to do now and why they rejected my package. :mad:

Just in case anyone wants to know the problem with the collet, I put in a bit, tighten down the nut as tight as I can get it, and I can push down or pull up on the bit with only moderate force. Trying to run wood across the bit also pushes it down. The collet simply isn't holding the bits tight enough.

Sorry to rant in your thread but I'm frustrated and I have a project on hold waiting for a collet that works...

James

BOB OLINGER
03-06-2009, 9:32 AM
Hi James,

Keep us informed of your problem. I haven't run any wood through mine as I just figured out how to get the bit in. I trust yours is an isolated situation.

bob o

Charles McCracken
03-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Glad you're having better luck with Freud Tech Support than I am. Contacted them in Feb. about a collet that wasn't holding the bits tight. Jim, in Customer Service, said to send it in, they'd send me a replacement. I sent the collet in on 2/24/09, and it was rejected by Freud and returned to me unopened. So I've now paid for shipping a package that was rejected by addressee, the return shipping of the package was postage due to me and I don't have a resolution to my problem. My first experience with Freud's customer service haven't been very good so far. I'm waiting to hear back from Jim as to what to do now and why they rejected my package. :mad:

Just in case anyone wants to know the problem with the collet, I put in a bit, tighten down the nut as tight as I can get it, and I can push down or pull up on the bit with only moderate force. Trying to run wood across the bit also pushes it down. The collet simply isn't holding the bits tight enough.

Sorry to rant in your thread but I'm frustrated and I have a project on hold waiting for a collet that works...

James

James,

I am sorry to hear of your negative experience with Freud customer service. We do not reject any return unless it arrives with postage due so that is the only explanation I can think of.

James Gillespie, Jr.
03-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Thank you for the follow up Charles. I heard back from Jim, he requested photos of the package so he could investigate, which he now has. He also requested that a replacement collet be sent out to me without the bad one being returned so that should be going out in the mail to me soon. I took the package to a Pack 'N Ship Store, where it was put on a scale and correct postage applied, so it shouldn't have arrived postage due unless the store really messed up.

I'll let you know how things work out once the new collet arrives. I do hope that solves the problem (which occurs with different bits from different manufactures).

Thank you,
James

James Gillespie, Jr.
03-09-2009, 8:39 PM
Wanted to give the follow up that I promised everyone. The replacement collet and nut arrived today. Tried it out on the router and the bits held tight, just like they are supposed to. I do appreciate Freud for resolving the problem and for putting up with me when I got a bit heated over the returned package. :o

Happy Routing!
James

BOB OLINGER
03-10-2009, 8:13 AM
Hey James,

Glad to hear your problem is solved. Take care.

bob o

Bryan Berguson
03-10-2009, 9:54 PM
I had a problem with a Freud router about a year ago and Charles went out of his way to help. Best customer service I have ever experienced. If I need it and Freud makes it, I buy it.

I'll second that! Freud KNOWS customer service!

Bryan