PDA

View Full Version : Steppers suitable for CNC?

Jeff Clow
03-03-2009, 8:57 AM
I have some surplus steppers from work. These are proprietary from a large printer, so I have no real specs. The label says 1.8 degree per step, 2.6V, 4.0A.
Would these be big enough (based on this info) to build a CNC router, 3 axis, about 2' X 4' ?
I know this is pretty vague, but I'm trying to figure if maybe I'm in the ballpark.
Where would I look to find some specs on similar motors to compare to?

thanks
Jeff

james mcgrew
03-03-2009, 11:42 AM
do you have a name and model number?

jim

Jeff Clow
03-03-2009, 12:41 PM
The ones I referenced are made by Nanotec, Type 4H5618C0408. I have seen some others made by Minebea that say Astrosyn Stepper, type 23LM-C720-02, no. T2510-04. 12V, 1.5A, 8.0ohm,1.8 degree. This last one comes from a much smaller machine.

Jeff

Dave Johnson29
03-13-2009, 2:29 PM
Would these be big enough (based on this info) to build a CNC router, 3 axis, about 2' X 4' ?

Jeff,

In the absence of the most important spec, the Holding Torque, the next best thing to guess suitability is the physical dimensions of the motors and the number of wires. How big was the printer? What were they driving in the printer?

If they have a NEMA mounting then it would not be such a big deal to remove them and install something bigger after you have built and tested if it did not have the grunt you require.

You could email Gecko with the Volt/Amp spec and they may be able to tell you which driver to use.

james mcgrew
03-13-2009, 4:01 PM
sorry i was real busy, jeff's motors are a nema 23 base, so dave is right you could get some gecko201's a power supply, a plan from joes cncand you would be off to a good start,

james mcgrew
03-16-2009, 9:02 AM
here is the link for joes cnc

http://joescnc.com/

jim

Brian Backner
03-16-2009, 4:35 PM
You might want to look at the following website from South Africa:

www.mechmate.com (http://www.mechmate.com)

It is a massive site that details the design and construction of a very capable CNC router. The site is very active and you can probably get whatever information you're looking for by doing a search on the archives or asking a question. Once you register (free), you can download the entire plans in pdf format for free.

Enjoy.

Brian