PDA

View Full Version : First Communion Ideas

Steve Clarkson
03-03-2009, 8:26 AM
Has anyone done any cool 1st Communion things that they'd like to share?

I was thinking about making a cross out of Corian, but all the designs I have are too intricate.

Thanks

Wolf Nitsch
03-03-2009, 12:49 PM
We did quite a few of the coconut bracelets for classes last year. We would engrave a cross, the childs name and the date. People really like them. Hope that helps.

Has anyone done any cool 1st Communion things that they'd like to share?

I was thinking about making a cross out of Corian, but all the designs I have are too intricate.

Thanks

Keith Outten
03-03-2009, 4:10 PM
Steve,

Not a great picture but I did three of these awhile back.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36442&highlight=corian+plaque

Steve Clarkson
03-03-2009, 6:07 PM
Thanks Keith.....I was focusing on doing a cross, but that looks really nice.....I may have to reconsider........

Keith Outten
03-03-2009, 8:23 PM
Steve,

When I made these plaques I was also looking for a cross. I never found the right one but I'm still looking. I want a cross that has a solid design that is intricate I can cut on my CNC router and a top piece with find detail that I can vector cut and engrave with the laser.

Steve Clarkson
03-31-2009, 8:21 AM
Does anyone have any 1st Communion clipart...vector or otherwise.

I've been searching for the past hour for a chalice with Host above it and maybe some grapes around the bottom, but all I could find are cartoonish ones.

Thanks!

Keith Outten
03-31-2009, 9:02 AM
Steve,

Try the Dover Clipart web site. A long time ago someone shared information about a religious clipart book and CD thay have. I tried to find it at my local Barnes and Noble but they didn't stock that particular book.

Martin Boekers
03-31-2009, 10:30 AM
Steve,

You might want to check a Catholic Supply shop if you have one in your area. They have many items for sale in a fairly large gift shop.

In Saint Louis we have Catholic Supply and in Bellville IL they have the Shrine of the Lady of Snows It also has a nice gift shop.

These are great to get ideas from.

They have all sorts of gifts for different religious event.

This may open opportunities to market some products through also.

Both the companies have online stores so a bit of research on the internet will help with that.

There are stores in St. Louis, Art Mart, Blicks "art supply store and usually they have royalty free clip art books on mant subjects, they are well worth a visit to.

Marty

Steve Clarkson
03-31-2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks guys!

Dee Gallo
03-31-2009, 12:48 PM
Steve, I sent you a PM - dee

Bill Cunningham
03-31-2009, 10:18 PM
Does anyone have any 1st Communion clipart...vector or otherwise.

I've been searching for the past hour for a chalice with Host above it and maybe some grapes around the bottom, but all I could find are cartoonish ones.

Thanks!

I never got involved with too much religious stuff Steve.. First time I went to church as a child, they tried to drown me! :eek:

Dan Hintz
04-01-2009, 6:36 AM
First time I went to church as a child, they tried to drown me! :eek:
ROFL!!!

Raised Catholic, gave it up when I hit The Age Of Reason.

I vaguely recall someone selling a marble cross...

Steve Clarkson
04-01-2009, 8:42 AM
That's what I'm making......a white Corian cross to be exact......and I wanted some clipart on it to dress it up a bit.

Thanks anyway.

Frank Corker
04-01-2009, 9:48 AM
That's what I'm making......a white Corian cross to be exact......and I wanted some clipart on it to dress it up a bit.
Thanks anyway.

You should have said that in the first place, I just thought you were whittering on again, so I missed your request. This has the host the chalice and the grapes! :p

Steve Clarkson
04-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Uhhhhhh.....weren't you supposed to post your ENTIRE clip art collection?

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Dan Hintz
04-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Uhhhhhh.....weren't you supposed to post your ENTIRE clip art collection?
What, you didn't get your copy?

Jim Finn
04-01-2009, 10:01 PM
I have recently made some oak boxes that will fit a Bible.I glued a cut out of a nice cross on the lid.I also made a smaller box (3.5"x 5") of cedar and applied matching but smaller cross to it made of purpleheart. This smaller box will hold a rosary. I then , using this smaller cross pattern,made a book mark by gluing some ribbon to it. Just some other ideas.

Steve Clarkson
04-01-2009, 11:24 PM
I have recently made some oak boxes that will fit a Bible.I glued a cut out of a nice cross on the lid.I also made a smaller box (3.5"x 5") of cedar and applied matching but smaller cross to it made of purpleheart. This smaller box will hold a rosary. I then , using this smaller cross pattern,made a book mark by gluing some ribbon to it. Just some other ideas.

Thanks Jim!

Bill Cunningham
04-02-2009, 9:40 PM
Steve.. The daily scrollsaw.pdf had a Bible box earlier this week.. Check your email..

Steve Clarkson
04-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Steve.. The daily scrollsaw.pdf had a Bible box earlier this week.. Check your email..

I saw that.....it looks very nice, but not First Commumioney enough.

Steve Clarkson
04-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Here's a picture of the finished cross.

Without me telling you what was involved in making it (I will later), what is your opinion of a fair retail price for this?

Steven Wallace
04-17-2009, 3:11 PM
Steve, by now, you should know what a generous guy Mr. Corker is. He is giving his entire clipart gallery away to all of us on the Creek for free... one zip file at a time. Be patient, we'll soon have it all... if we don't pass away before he gets it all down loaded to us. Keep the requests coming. If each of us ask for something different with each post, he can't possibly out last us.

Frank thanks for being a great sport and letting us poke fun at your expense.:)

Frank Corker
04-17-2009, 3:54 PM
Be my guest to poke away! Steve, nice job, looks like acrylic filled with gold rub'n'buf just needs a shot with the flame polisher.