PDA

View Full Version : First finial HF on pedestal

Jeff Nicol
03-03-2009, 7:49 AM
Well here is the HF I have been working on with a pedestal base and finial top. The body is made from White Pine with some blue mold/spalting and the finial and base are made from East Indian Rosewood. There is a small collar of Paduak for pop of color. It is 10 1/4" tall and 3" wide, it is hollowed to about 3/32 thick and has a coat of tung oil finish on it right now. Still wondering if I will leave it the way it is or give it a few more coats and buff a bit. But anyway here it is and what do you think?

Thanks,

Jeff

David Christopher
03-03-2009, 8:25 AM
WOW that is a beautiful HF. and I think that is the best looking piece of pine Ive ever seen....well done

Steve Schlumpf
03-03-2009, 8:30 AM
Wow! Now that's nice! Looks like no pine I have ever seen before! At first glance it looks like some form of stone - marble? alabaster? Great effect! Nice work on the pedestal and finial! The Rosewood really adds some rich color without detracting from the hollow form portion. Nice detail work on both and the Paduak ring does add some visual interest when you see the top of the piece!

Nice Jeff - real nice!

Alan Trout
03-03-2009, 9:17 AM
I love it Jeff, Great work!!

Greg Haugen
03-03-2009, 9:33 AM
Beautiful!! Nice Work Jeff!!

Cyril Griesbach
03-03-2009, 9:58 AM
Very well done, Jeff.

Jack Giovo
03-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Got my vote for some nice work choice of wood and workmanship:D

Great looking piece.

Jack

Don Carter
03-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Jeff:
Beautiful! Great color combinations and I love the pine. Wow! Great work.

All the best.

Don

steven carter
03-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Jeff,

Super job! I never would have guessed the hf was pine. Good form, I think I would buff for a little more shine to it.

Steve

alex carey
03-03-2009, 2:34 PM
That is a very nice looking HF. Shape is perfect. nicely done.

Ken Glass
03-03-2009, 6:07 PM
Jeff,
You hit a homer with this one. Shape, fit, and finish. It has great lines and I really like the small amount of color contrasting the collar under the finial gives. I also have not seen Pine like that before. Its very rich looking

Bernie Weishapl
03-03-2009, 7:18 PM
Jeff that is a beauty Jeff. Really nice pine.

Mike Svoma
03-03-2009, 8:34 PM
That is very nice Jeff. I'll have to come down and check that one out.

Mike :):):)

Ben Gastfriend
03-03-2009, 9:11 PM
It looks great, especially for pine. Never seen pine look that good. Usually I like extra shiny, but I think the matte finish here works great, especially with the contrast you have between the finial and the body.

Toney Robertson
03-03-2009, 9:33 PM
Very nice Jeff.

I am not a pine fan but that is one beautiful piece of pine.

Well done.

Toney

Randy Hoch
03-04-2009, 12:43 AM
Jeff,
I love this piece. Everything works - color, form, pedestal, finial. You've got a great eye and the technique to match.
Randy

Jim Kountz
03-04-2009, 1:53 AM
Nope, sorry Jeff, this one is just too perfect, you have to modify it somehow so my posts dont look so bad!!
Awesome job and I cant believe thats pine!! Fantastic!!

Jeff Nicol
03-04-2009, 7:12 AM
Good morning alll, Thank you very much for the great response on this piece. I had the block of pine sitting on the bench for a while and knew it needed a special thing made out of it. There was a knot where the collar is so there is some curl from that and it has some pinkish hues along with the gray mold. White pine has so much to offer to us that turn but is mostly forgotten. It is very soft and it you look at it wrong you can dent or scratch it. It is very light too which is good for me with my bum sholders when turning larger pieces. But like I said before it smells so good when you are turning it! I have a ton of it and keep lots of the pretty pieces around the knots. Lots of time when you turn the areas around the knots you will get a tranlucent amber color from the hardened sap and light shows right through it.

Thanks again and I will stop rambling!

Jeff :D

Allen Schmid
03-04-2009, 2:19 PM
Jeff,
This is a really nice piece you have here. Nice job with balancing the height of each piece and making a well proportioned work of art.
Allen