PDA

View Full Version : PM Gold is found in Arkansas.!!!!!

Dennis Peacock
07-15-2004, 12:33 AM
Yup....you read it right!!! I called the shipper today and it is "supposed" to be in Little Rock, AR as of now. Needless to say:

<b>My PM 3520A lathe has been shipped and has arrived in Arkansas.!!!</B> :D

Now I'm just waiting for them to call me and tell me when and where I can pick it up.!!! Getting it OFF the trailer will be the real chore!!!!

Needless to say....I'm a "little bit" excited!! :eek: ;)

Steven Wilson
07-15-2004, 1:04 AM
Nice score on the 3520A. One nice thing about that lathe is that it's fairly moveable. The headstock/motor unit is quite heavy so if you remove it first then the base should be quite manageable.

Michael Ballent
07-15-2004, 1:06 AM
Nice, I have been looking at that lathe for a while... hopefully I will be able to get it someday :D Congrats that it's so close you can almost taste it :)

Ken Fitzgerald
07-15-2004, 1:52 AM
Congrats Dennis! But.....the earth is flat! :eek: ;)

Jim Becker
07-15-2004, 7:43 AM
Congratulations, Dennis...you can now see the yellow light at the end of the tunnel.

BTW, Steve is correctly, the machine can be easily disassembled for easier transportation into your shop.

John Miliunas
07-15-2004, 8:00 AM
Awright Dennis! :D Really happy for you, as I know how much you've been waiting for this! Somehow, I have a hunch you'll have it all figured out as to how to get that puppy off the trailer long before it hits your driveway! :D I sincerely wish I lived closer, as I'd be more than happy to give you a hand with it. Aw heck...I'll do it anyway: "Clap, clap-clap, clap....!" :D :cool:

Terry Hatfield
07-15-2004, 8:30 AM
d,

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to check it out. Sorry I'm not closer to help with getting it in the shop.

t

Dennis Peacock
07-15-2004, 9:15 AM
d,

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to check it out. Sorry I'm not closer to help with getting it in the shop.

t

Well....what's keeping you from driving down here? :confused: :p :D

Need gas money? Encouragement? Do I need to have one of those long, lonely and helpless faces to post on your screen? :p

Just kiddin' buddy....I know you would be here if you could.

Not to worry.....I'll just tie it off to the building and pull out from under it!! :eek: :D

Dennis Peacock
07-15-2004, 9:18 AM
Awright Dennis! :D Really happy for you, as I know how much you've been waiting for this! Somehow, I have a hunch you'll have it all figured out as to how to get that puppy off the trailer long before it hits your driveway! :D I sincerely wish I lived closer, as I'd be more than happy to give you a hand with it. Aw heck...I'll do it anyway: "Clap, clap-clap, clap....!" :D :cool:

Thanks John,

I am excited!!!! I have wanted a nice lathe for years now. It's not as "whoop-Down" as Becker's lathe, but she orta be a dandy.

Now...about that "giving me a hand".!!! :eek: :p

Terry Hatfield
07-15-2004, 9:19 AM
d,

LOL..."Tie off to building and pull out from under". Spoken like a true Arkie. Your catchin' on to this deal.

Actually I'm trying to get going on the shop addition this weekend.

t

Bruce Page
07-15-2004, 11:35 AM
Actually I'm trying to get going on the shop addition this weekend.

t

:eek: :eek: :eek: SHOP ADDITION!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

It must be nice...

Dennis Peacock
07-15-2004, 12:50 PM
Well...

The freight company just called and said:

Come and pick this thing up. It is some kind of machine and it weighs about 800 pounds.

Now...I said calmly....Ok, and how do I get to your freight terminal?
They said....here is how to get here......blah-blah-blah.....blah.....
I said......ok, thanks...so how long do I have to pick the freight up at your terminal? (as if I was going to wait very long at all... ;) )
They said...today or tomorrow and no later than 7PM.
I said....ok....I'll see what I can do. ;)

I'm about to bust at every seam.!!!!!! I gotta find a way to get off work long enough to go and pick it up......<b>TODAY!!!!!</b> :)

I guess I should go ahead and say that I'm almost getting excited. :p

Donnie Raines
07-15-2004, 1:14 PM
Dennis,

I can sense that something is coming over you....almost as though you are getting sick or something. Me thinks you should leave work early...you dont want to risk getting your co-workers sick. Do the right thing and ask to leave early....since you are "feeling" ill........ :rolleyes: ;)

Tyler Howell
07-15-2004, 1:46 PM
Yea , I think he's got Foot problems! "Can't stand to wait another minute. "

Congrats Dennis, Great being a member of the Gold Standard.:cool: Course I don't know if they even run:o . Been on the road all week. Tonights the night.
They sure are purty though;)

Brad Schmid
07-15-2004, 2:18 PM
Dennis,

Oooohhhhh, you're gonna like that! Congrats! Can't wait to see some pics...
Cheers

Dennis Peacock
07-15-2004, 2:32 PM
Yea....I may develop a severe case of Rectal-Glaucoma tomorrow morning.!
I can't see my A&& Coming into work.!!!! :eek: :D

Looks like I'll be getting out of here in about 1.5 hours. A buddy here at work is not "feeling very well" either and we are both going to Little Rock to get a cure for the PM Gold Fever.!!! :rolleyes: :eek:

PICS will be coming tonight. :D

Michael Ballent
07-15-2004, 2:38 PM
Just make sure you do not have any cosmoline or wood shavings stuck on ya by the time you get back to work :D

Chad Young
07-15-2004, 4:00 PM
I just hate when I come down with a 24 hour bug like. :D

Dennis Peacock
07-15-2004, 9:04 PM
Ok boys and girls and all you bow-legged squirrels. Here are the pics first:

Dennis Peacock
07-15-2004, 9:10 PM
1st pic - My good buddy Glenn volunteered to help me with getting the lathe from the transport company and bring it home and put it where I wanted it to go. THANKS Glenn...!!!! Couldn't have done it without ya.

2nd pic - The label on the box. Need I say more.? ;)

3rd pic - is how this thing comes but with the cardboard box off of it.

4th pic - Lathe now on the floor. Glenn and I unloaded it assembled and without the use of a hoist.

5th pic - Rear side shot of what my new baby looks like.

6th pic - The new 3520A parked in its new home.!!!! Ah-h-h-h-h-h-h-h!!!!

Ain't she sweet? Nice figure too I might add. :) :rolleyes:

Jim Ketron
07-15-2004, 9:17 PM
Congrats Dennis!
Thats one nice looking lathe!
what you gona make first?
Jim

John Miliunas
07-15-2004, 9:35 PM
Congrats Dennis!
Thats one nice looking lathe!
what you gona make first?
Jim

I'd say, it had BETTER be something for his BRIDE!!! :D Way to go, Dennis, but I was really looking forward to some WIP pics of you guys bulling that thing off the trailer! :) Yup, sure do look sweet! A BIG congrats, buddy! :) :p :cool:

Bruce Page
07-15-2004, 10:16 PM
How sweet it is!!

Congrats Dennis!

Dennis Peacock
07-15-2004, 10:17 PM
I'd say, it had BETTER be something for his BRIDE!!! :D Way to go, Dennis, but I was really looking forward to some WIP pics of you guys bulling that thing off the trailer! :) Yup, sure do look sweet! A BIG congrats, buddy! :) :p :cool:

Thanks John,

I would have taken WIP pics but I couldn't hold the camera, lathe and trailer all at the same time. Did I forget to tell you that this baby weighs 325KG! :eek: That's only 715 Pounds.....And I thought my Jet 1236 was heavy!!!! :rolleyes: :D

Cecil Arnold
07-15-2004, 10:24 PM
I'll bet you're as happy as if you had a new baby, and it's cheaper too, even though is is baby poop yellow.

Steve Clardy
07-15-2004, 10:34 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: SHOP ADDITION!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

It must be nice...

Yea Bruce. So I can park in it at the barbecue!!!!!!!!
Steve

Steve Clardy
07-15-2004, 10:40 PM
Hey!!!! FOUL FOUL!!! You already got er offin da trailer!!!!!!!! I though you'd just leave er on there and haul er to the barbecue and I'd bring er back to Missouri where it can be used, not just gloated all over and get rusty!!!!!!!
Man, what a haul!!!!!!!!!

Dennis Peacock
07-15-2004, 11:01 PM
Hey!!!! FOUL FOUL!!! You already got er offin da trailer!!!!!!!! I though you'd just leave er on there and haul er to the barbecue and I'd bring er back to Missouri where it can be used, not just gloated all over and get rusty!!!!!!!
Man, what a haul!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Steve....

Nope...her home is here with me!!! :p

A "haul" it was....boy....hauling that thing on interatate highway was "fun" since it was a 40 mile trip ONE WAY!!!! They couldn't put it far enough in the trailer to get it OVER the axle, so the trailer was extremely light on the tongue and bounced on the hitch like I was playing basket ball.!!!! I was nervous hauling that much money in the back of the trailer on these bumpy highways. Needless to say, I didn't break any speed laws on the way back with it.!!! :eek: :D

Billy Reynolds
07-15-2004, 11:09 PM
:( Hey, old buddy sorry I was not around to help you. I was thinking you were going to pick it up Friday. I had to take the day off and drive the Ms. to the hospital for another spinal injection. Will be back at work tomorrow. Glad to see you got it home and unloaded safely. Later :)

Steve Clardy
07-15-2004, 11:12 PM
Thanks Steve....

Nope...her home is here with me!!! :p

A "haul" it was....boy....hauling that thing on interatate highway was "fun" since it was a 40 mile trip ONE WAY!!!! They couldn't put it far enough in the trailer to get it OVER the axle, so the trailer was extremely light on the tongue and bounced on the hitch like I was playing basket ball.!!!! I was nervous hauling that much money in the back of the trailer on these bumpy highways. Needless to say, I didn't break any speed laws on the way back with it.!!! :eek: :D When I moved my current lathe, 3000#'s, I was nervous also. It rode nice, 16' trailer, 1 ton truck, but it is top heavy. Had every available chain in the county and still didn't feel safe. Getting it unloaded was a real kicker too.
Steve

Dick Parr
07-15-2004, 11:49 PM
Nice Dennis. :) You should have a couple of hours of fun with the new toy. ;) But where is the cot? :confused: I thought you would be sleeping with it the first night. :D :p :D :p

Jack Young
07-16-2004, 12:04 AM
Dennis-

Can't miss your excitement. And it's exciting for me to have been referred to this site by John Miliunis and find a couple of Arkies involved (you and Hatfield, at least), along with Arctic John, of course.

I practised law in Little Rock from '57 to '83 when I left to do something else, which eventually brought me to Fairfax Station VA, where I'm retired, more or less. Maybe there are some on the site from around here, also. Anyway, I drove up to Baltimore (actually Glen Burnie) last week to get my order of Festool equipment languishing on ABF's dock, claiming they had no telephone number for me. I figured if they couldn't find my tf # they couldn't find my house either. I could have given them my number, of course. But I wanted possession, and share your feeling well. My lathe, someday later, perhaps. But near the end of the month, a shiny new Laguna 14SE band saw arrives, which is going to be delivered, for sure. It's too much for my Saturn pick-up.

I do have an anecdotal issue which someone might help me with. The new chemical treatment for exterior wood, i.e., 4x4 posts, stringers, etc., apparently corrodes aluminum and ordinary nails and screws in short order. It nearly all comes sopping wet and can't be sealed or painted for weeks, I know, but is there a need to wash or treat, say, something like a forstner bit or other steel tool used in notching and drilling the stuff? My new Festool jigsaw walks through the 4x4 stuff like a hot knife through butter, but has a lot of aluminum in contact with the wood. Apparently, the entire fastener industry has been turned on its head by the new treatment system, as framing nail guns don't have nails that can work with the new poisons, etc. Does it eat tools, too? Perhaps this should be a new thread, and if the monitors think so, please post it that way.

Jack Young

Kelly C. Hanna
07-16-2004, 12:30 AM
Congrats Dennis! My wife wants me to get a lathe someday (caught her eye at the WW show). We'll be looking for the pics soon!

Dennis Peacock
07-16-2004, 12:32 AM
Dennis-

Can't miss your excitement. And it's exciting for me to have been referred to this site by John Miliunis and find a couple of Arkies involved (you and Hatfield, at least), along with Arctic John, of course.

Jack Young

Jack,

First things first.....<b>WELCOME to Sawmill Creek!!!!</B> This is truly a wonderful site and tons of great folks and knowledge. Share what you will and learn all you can.

It's a small world that we live in and I'm amazed at how many folks I meet that have lived or still live in Alabama and Arkansas (the two places I have live most all my life).

I too feel "your" excitement as I remember when I got my Laguna LT16HD BS a few year back as well as my Robland X31 Combo machine. I wish you much success and happiness in your life and if you are ever in the area again, holler at me and we'll meet up. :)

Dennis Peacock
07-16-2004, 12:52 AM
Well, since I started a lathe thread here. I'll share how my day went with picking up the lathe at the freight terminal.

Glenn and I left work around 14:30 hours and got over here to the house to get the Suburban and trailer and left here to pick the lathe up.

Got to the shipping terminal and the only person there was the lady that ran the office. There was only one guy working there but he was making a local delivery and would be back in about 15 minutes.
I drove around to the dock expecting to find a "ramp" that they could drive the forklift down and load the lathe onto my trailer. Nope! :eek:
I drove around to the other side of the terminal and guess what, no ramp. :confused:

We waited around a bit and the guy finally showed up. He thought that we could just "muscle" the 800 pounds of freight down the high loader dock and onto my trailer....so he checked out the "piece of freight" and decided that it was really a bad idea to even try.

He went back in the office and started making phone calls. "I need a favor if you could help me get a piece of freight off my semi-trailer and down onto a customers residential trailer. Uh....Ok....Thanks." End of conversation one.
Another phone call to a neighboring carpet business just down the street and BINGO!!!! They said that they would drive their forklift over and help him out.
A few minutes later come a guy on a forklift, picked up the "piece of freight" and placed it onto my trailer. Finally, after 2 hours, we got loaded up and tied everything down and began the long journey home.

Not a cloud in the sky UNTIL we started out of the shipping terminal!!! It started thundering, lightening but no rain...at least not now. Made it through all the interstate construction, set the cruise control on 60 MPH and made the 45 mile trip to the house.

Backed the trailer into the shop and Glenn and I started unpackaging the lathe to remove a little more weight and to give us something to hold on to. We heaved and hoe'd....spouted a few words back and forth and finally got the lathe to the back end of the trailer.

I unhooked the trailer from the car and I balanced the trailer to tilt it so the back of the trailer would be on the shop floor. Glenn and I then started scooting the lathe on its skip onto the shop floor and the tough part came when the trailer wanted to lift the corner of the lathe UP so the lathe was beginning to turn over and we managed to put a foot each on the back of the trailer while working the lathe completely off the trailer and onto the shop floor. Glenn held the lathe in place and I moved to the front of the trailer to lift the tongue up as high as it would go and Glenn performed the final scoot of the lathe onto the floor and I was then free to remove the trailer from inside the shop.

We removed the skip and shoved the lathe into its new spot in the shop.
Throughout all this...both of the LOML's left the shop as they just "knew" that we were going to get hurt bad trying to wrestle this thing off the trailer. Needless to say, we made it safe and sound...but I'm sure I'll be a little sore tomorrow after my unused muscles remind me of what I did today.! :D

Dennis Peacock
07-16-2004, 12:56 AM
Congrats Dennis! My wife wants me to get a lathe someday (caught her eye at the WW show). We'll be looking for the pics soon!

Thanks Kelly....The pics are on page two of this thread if you want to have a view of the lathe. If you get this beast....you WILL need help.!!! ;)

Keith Outten
07-16-2004, 6:47 AM
Dennis,

She's a beauty!!!

Bobby McCarley
07-16-2004, 7:17 AM
Way to go Dennis. I got my PM in April. Couldn't be more pleased with it as I'm sure you are also. Good luck with it and may the shavings start flying.

Bobby McCarley

Ken Salisbury
07-16-2004, 8:31 AM
Congrats on the new purchase Dennis. I am sure you will love that machine. When I went from my Jet 1242 to 1642 it was like the difference between daylight and dark. The added weight , stability and the VS really made turning even a greater pleasure.

Now for the downside: You will have to cancel your own order for a SMC hat ----- your head will be too big to fit in one of those "itty-bitty" hats.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/smiley2.gif

John Shuk
07-16-2004, 8:49 AM
Dennis,
That is a sweet machine. I'm willing to send you a black walnut bowl blank to christen her just so's I can hear about how she turns. I really love all the Freedom Pens you do and I'd consider it an honor. Just let me know if you'd like it. LEVUK@optonline.net

Steve King
07-16-2004, 8:52 AM
"WOW" What a nice machine.
Dennis, does this mean the pens will be a little Bigger?
Steve

Jim Becker
07-16-2004, 9:00 AM
Congratulations, Dennis. A fine machine!

Dennis Peacock
07-16-2004, 11:21 AM
"WOW" What a nice machine.
Dennis, does this mean the pens will be a little Bigger?
Steve

I guess so Steve....but isn't everthing big in Texas? Do I live close enough to classify a turning as "Texas Style"? ;)

Dennis Peacock
07-16-2004, 11:23 AM
Congrats on the new purchase Dennis. I am sure you will love that machine. When I went from my Jet 1242 to 1642 it was like the difference between daylight and dark. The added weight , stability and the VS really made turning even a greater pleasure.

Now for the downside: You will have to cancel your own order for a SMC hat ----- your head will be too big to fit in one of those "itty-bitty" hats.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/smiley2.gif

Thanks Ken....I'll be firing that baby up tonight and will be doing a comparison between the two lathes....maybe I'll post it on SMC. ;) :p

Now...about that hat size thing.!!!! :D Maybe I can spin a new hat between centers and use the round end of a tool handle to stretch a hat out big enough to fit the newly resized head of mine!! :eek: :p

Looking forward to seeing you at the BBQ.!!

Dennis Peacock
07-16-2004, 5:39 PM
Nice Dennis. :) You should have a couple of hours of fun with the new toy. ;) But where is the cot? :confused: I thought you would be sleeping with it the first night. :D :p :D :p

Dick,

Thanks...but LOML took the cot away from me as I was beginning to use it too much.!!! :eek: :D

Terry Hatfield
07-17-2004, 11:53 PM
d,

Have you even been in the house since you got the new lathe???

t

Dennis Peacock
07-18-2004, 12:56 AM
d,

Have you even been in the house since you got the new lathe???

t

Yup....Remember.....? I'm OnCaLl this weekend.!!! :mad:

I did fire the new lathe up via a temp wiring job to my DC circuit. Maybe I'll post some picks of the NEW and improved setup in time for the Weekend Accomplishments post.! ;)

Terry Hatfield
07-18-2004, 9:01 AM
d,

New lathe on a "on call" week!!!! E-gad!!!! That must be tough to deal with.

t