PDA

View Full Version : Ebonizing questions

Brian Brown
03-03-2009, 12:22 AM
I want to ebonize some walnut for a pedastal. I didn't have time tonight for the steel wool method, so I used India Ink. It seems to have worked well except that it raised the endgrain enormously. The side grain raised just a bit, but the endgrain stood on end. Feels like 100 grit sandpaper. Is this normal?

Second question, when soaking steel wool in vinegar, how long does it need to soak? Also its there magic to using vinegar, or can acetic acid be used?

Jarrod McGehee
03-03-2009, 12:26 AM
I don't know a darn thing about ebonizing wood but as much as I learned in last year's Chemistry class, acetic acid and vinegar are the same thing. the only difference (may) be the concentration.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Brian...IIRC...Folks were saying here that it takes about 2 weeks for the vinegar to have an effect on the steel wool.

Norm Zax
03-03-2009, 3:39 AM
Use a glass jar. Make sure wool is submerged (otherwise exposed bits will quickly rust). Leave at least 48 hours and then strain (coffee filter will do). Apply layers until dark enough. By the way, a friend of mine has kept the wool in for over two months. No harm done but not a pleasant site.
Enjoy.
http://www.wildlifeintarsiadesign.com/Tips%20HTM/Tips%20Frame.htm

George Guadiane
03-03-2009, 4:58 AM
I had a pretty large bowl to ebonize for a customer... I wanted to try out alanine dye coloration anyway, so I ordered some USMC Black. It goes on, kind of like stain, but it buffs well and you can still see the grain. I finished the piece with some microcrystalline wax (it's not supposed to leave fingerprint marks), just rubbed some on, on the lathe and burnished it in, then buffed... It almost looks like boot polish, but it does what I need.

Jeff Nicol
03-03-2009, 6:16 AM
Brian, If you are going to use the ink you should wet the piece with some water to raise the grain first. Let it dry and sand the piece back to smooth and then put the ink on after that. I have used an ebony stain from minwax that will work on most woods. I will aslo mix up some transtint dye in black and use that. But the same thing should be done by raising the grain and sanding back before using the dye. I have not tried the steel wool method yet but I will have to some day just to see. I have also used a large permanent black marker to darken wood like black walnut, cherry and maple.

Good luck and hope you figure out the best way for you!

Jef