PDA

View Full Version : can I store generator outside in FL

tom coleman
03-02-2009, 11:13 PM
I have a $1200 electric start generator just in case. For 3 years it has occupied prime real estate in my garage. Once a year I start it, run it drain it and cover it. I hope I never use it.

I am thinking of storing it outside wrapped in waterproof tarp. Anything I need to be cautious about or any reason not to do this?

Joe Pelonio
03-02-2009, 11:20 PM
You have been lucky, I never used mine last year, but most years it's 2-3 times. My concern would be theft. If you have it in the back yard, with a locked gate and chained up then it should be safe. I have never heard of pests eating wires or anything on a generator like they do with cars.

David Christopher
03-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Tom build a plywood box to sit over it ...a tarp will gather water, dirt and bugs

David G Baker
03-02-2009, 11:49 PM
My Honda generator will never reside outdoors unless it is being tested or used to power my home. It cost me $3000 and I value it.
Do a Google on generator enclosures. They make them that can be locked, weather proof and can even be run from the enclosure if your generator is made to have an extension to its exhaust. The enclosure looks like one of the larger Rubbermaid deck storage boxes.

Rod Sheridan
03-03-2009, 9:41 AM
I would be worried about condensation, and in particular, condensation in the alternator.

Alternators that are used in areas where there is the possibility of condensation, have anti-condensation heaters installed.

If you made an enclosure, and then put a 25 or 40 watt lamp inside, you should be OK.

Regards, Rod

Robert Parrish
03-03-2009, 10:56 AM
I would not leave my generator or any of my equipment outside here in FL. The environment is just to tough on metal. I have my generator by the small door to my garage and I built a removable table top over it and use it as part of my finishing room.

keith ouellette
03-03-2009, 11:58 PM
If you store it outside (and probably if you don't) you should keep a carburetor rebuild kit handy. Most problems with starting and running a generator reside in the carburetor