PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Dowelmax.....

Chris Allen
03-02-2009, 9:52 PM
.....and it sucks!!!

Kidding, kidding.

Did a couple of test joints a while ago. First try, and everything came out perfect. Very nice, tight, and flush joint.

The machining on this thing is impressive. And if you know anything about machining, then you can understand why this jig is a little pricey. I tried explaining this to my wife; nonetheless, to her, it still looks like a hunk of metal.;)

Pretty cool stuff. That's all.

Bill Huber
03-02-2009, 10:19 PM
+1 on that, I love mine and use it all the time.

Now 3 little things I did to mine that help.

1. Drop a little black enamel paint in the check marks, makes them easier to see.

2. Scribe a center line on each end of the main block, this helps when using it in the center of a board. Use a pin to put a little of that enamel paint in them.

3. Put some 400 grit sand paper on the under side of the clamp on bracket, this helps keep it from moving when you use it.

Great tool.....

Ray Schafer
03-03-2009, 10:59 AM
+1 for DowelMax. I use mine all the time!

Phillip Bogle
03-05-2009, 2:30 AM
I have had mine for two years and love it!
I posted about this on another thread and I think the most telling observation is: Have you ever seen one of these for sale -- used? I haven't and doubt that I ever will (other than a widow selling what she doesn't understand).

I was considering buying a biscuit cutter and ended up with the Dowelmax. Glad I did. I case anyone is wondering -- no I do not work for Dowelmax. I just own one and love it.

Brian Penning
03-05-2009, 5:14 AM
+1 on that, I love mine and use it all the time.

Now 3 little things I did to mine that help.

1. Drop a little black enamel paint in the check marks, makes them easier to see.

2. Scribe a center line on each end of the main block, this helps when using it in the center of a board. Use a pin to put a little of that enamel paint in them.

3. Put some 400 grit sand paper on the under side of the clamp on bracket, this helps keep it from moving when you use it.

Great tool.....

Good ideas.....
Got a best method of accurately getting that centreline?
Kind of tough to do with a ruler or even a vernier. (For me anyway) :o
Thanks

Bill Huber
03-05-2009, 8:48 AM
Good ideas.....
Got a best method of accurately getting that centreline?
Kind of tough to do with a ruler or even a vernier. (For me anyway) :o
Thanks

Brian, I used my Starett 6 combo and measure from one side, make a pencil line. Then flip the square to the other side other side and make a pencil mark, then adjust the square to the center and try it again. Once I have the square set and there is only one line I scribe it.