PDA

View Full Version : 7.25" circular saw recommendation

Tom Godley
03-02-2009, 9:45 PM
I noticed the other day that I had a small amount of play in my old Milwaukee circular saw arbor -- It looks like I can still get the parts to fix it but I can purchase a new one for $139.00.

Any recommendations? .......I have liked the old Milwaukee !

I was thinking of getting the left hand unit as I normally use the saw to rip sheets of plywood and I have often thought that the left hand blade configuration would be a plus.

Paul Ryan
03-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Tom,

I have a porter cable. The 423mag is the left had version. These are really nice saws. They are lighter than the milwaukee dont have the handle adjustment but I have never missed that. The really nice thing about this saw is the fact that you don't need a wrench to remove the blade. The spindle locks and the blade washer has an arm that slides out so you can remove the washer which threads on the spindel. Not a nut, it is basically a threaded washer. I would highly recommened this saw. I wouldn't worry about the cheapening of the line as some thing is happening. I think porter cable will have their economical items but will also have there premium products. The saws and routers will continue to be higher quality.

Tom Esh
03-02-2009, 10:56 PM
I have the blade left PC 423 Magsaw and like it. Very solid. The tool-less blade change is nice and the swiveling dust port nozzle, though not vac hose sized, can be made to fit one with a little duct tape. For a right-hander, blade left is great if you make a lot of un-guided cuts. However if you do mostly guided cuts, you may find yourself left-handing the saw to avoid clearance issues between the motor and your guide board or rail.

Sean Kinn
03-03-2009, 7:11 AM
Milwaukee 6390-21 with the tilt-lock handle.Enough said.

Rick Moyer
03-03-2009, 8:10 AM
For a right-hander, blade left is great if you make a lot of un-guided cuts. However if you do mostly guided cuts, you may find yourself left-handing the saw to avoid clearance issues between the motor and your guide board or rail.

I bought the Milwaukee last year, left blade, and really like it. Guided cuts can be a problem because of the motor clearance unless you raise the handle. I use a plywood rip guide and if I keep the handle(motor) all the way down it intereferes with the plywood guide I made. This isn't a problem with ripping plywood as I just raise the handle/motor, but it could be if you use a thicker guide or are cutting thicker stock with a guide. I suspect you would have the same issue with any left blade saw. All in all, I am very happy with the saw and would recommend it. I also would buy a left blade again as I like to see what I am cutting easily. (I am right handed).

Tom Godley
03-03-2009, 9:13 AM
i am obviously speaking of a 7.25 -- for 71/4

How did I type 7.24 -- I remember doing it !!!

Mike Goetzke
03-03-2009, 9:29 AM
I have & like the Makita's. Look at the 5007MGA 7-1/4" or 5008MGA 8-1/4". These saws are light weight due to the cast magnesium base. They are very smooth running and have a brake. There are many good saws out there but I would highly recommend you choose one with a brake.

Mike

Bill White
03-03-2009, 9:44 AM
Have the reg. PC (not mag) left blade. Thought about the right blade, but breakin' down sheet goods left me usin' what I've always had.
The old Craftsman I bought in 1978 didn't like the fall from the ladder.
Bill

Neal Clayton
03-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Milwaukee 6390-21 with the tilt-lock handle.Enough said.

i have one too. no complaints.

Tom Esh
03-03-2009, 12:36 PM
...I suspect you would have the same issue with any left blade saw....
Correct, same potential issue with any sidewinder regardless of brand. Worm drives are nice in that regard, but I think they're all substantially heavier - definitely not one-handed tools.

Chris Padilla
03-03-2009, 1:33 PM
i am obviously speaking of a 7.25 -- for 7 1/4

Fixed it for ya.

If you want a workhorse, it's hard to go wrong with a Skil 77 wormdrive CS. However, I must admit that I don't use mine so much anymore with all the F goodies I have.

I have the slightly lighter Magnesium version (Mag 77)...it was around $180ish when I bought it 12 years ago.

Chris Tsutsui
03-03-2009, 2:20 PM
I like the Milwaukee with that Tilt Lock handle too.

I don't like any of that worm drive stuff. I always wondered if a lot of people like that style.

Greg Cole
03-03-2009, 2:27 PM
If you want a workhorse, it's hard to go wrong with a Skil 77 wormdrive CS.

+1 to that vote. Great all around saw.
I had to make a UHMW ZCI for mine as it's done some exterior stuff that left the sole a little beaten and scarred & the ZCI is the bees knees when cutting decent veneer ply.

glenn bradley
03-03-2009, 4:39 PM
i am obviously speaking of a 7.25 -- for 71/4

Its that new quasi-deci-fractional method that is challenging all comers for supremacy.

I have the PC MAG left blade and like it a lot. Even when cutting 3/4" material with a guide the motor easily clears the guide rail. I really like the Mil too and was going that way since I love their routers and a few of their other tools. The PC showed up on clearance at Sears for $70 and I just happened to be passing through.

Tom Godley
03-03-2009, 5:12 PM
Thanks for the ideas.

I was helping a neighbor last summer who had a new gear driven saw -- it was a Bosch or Mikita - can't remember. I loved the power the thing had and it could cut 2x12s all day but it was too heavy for general use IMO.

I do not use a portable saw very often but I am going to be cutting a lot of plywood in the near future and I need straight cuts. For general work around the house I do not think I would even have noticed any movement.

The cost of some of the sheets of plywood are greater than a new saw!

Chris Allen
03-03-2009, 5:47 PM
+1 for the Makita. http://www.amazon.com/Makita-5007MG-4-inch-Magnesium-Circular/dp/B000N5SVEY

I have this saw paired a Freud Diablo blade. Great saw, and produces great cuts.

Neal Clayton
03-03-2009, 6:01 PM
while we're at it, it's worth posting again...

'green' makitas are the higher end line aimed at heavy use, and generally more solid than the 'grey' models which are priced, engineered, and marketed to light use homeowner type stuff.

that goes for the drills and other such things as well.

Tom Hargrove
03-03-2009, 6:34 PM
I bought a new saw after X-mas. My old Skil saw also did not take kindly to a fall . . ..

I had used a Bosch owned by a friend who is a professional carpenter. He said it was the best saw he had ever used. I also liked it very much. I also had the Milwaukee and the left blade PC saw on my short list.

I ended up with the right blade PC model, in part because I wanted to be able to take advantage of the EZ Smart system at a future time, which won't work with a left blade saw. Two points convinced me to purchase the PC: 1) I like the dust port, which can direct the dust away from me or into a shop vac hose (the orange borg has an adapter that works perfectly); and 2) the store where I bought it gave me a good deal on the saw and some free blades. I also like the tool free blade change device, although I am not convinced that it won't break sooner than later.

I am extemely happy with the saw, but I probably would have been equally as happy with either the Bosch or the Milwaukee.