PDA

View Full Version : Safety glasses that go over your glasses?

Dan Friedrichs
03-02-2009, 9:43 PM
Does anyone have a recomendation for a good quality pair of safety glasses that sit on top of regular eyeglasses? I have several good pair of splash-resistant GOGGLES, but none are comfortable to wear for a long period. All the fit-over-your-eyeglasses types I've ever tried have either been 1) horrendously uncomfortable, or 2) "universal" (which I think is code for "enourmous" or "covers half your face").

Peter Scoma
03-02-2009, 9:49 PM
I just wear my regular glasses. Theyre not impact resistant but theyre pretty thick lenses. If I ever take a good enough shot to the face, i dont think safety glasses are going to help me more than regular glasses.

Plus I have cat-like reflexes! :eek:

ps

Mac McQuinn
03-02-2009, 9:53 PM
Uvex Astro OTG 3001 is what i've been wearing over my progressive lens bi-focals, Got em at the woodworking show in Novi, MI a few years back. Work great, even w/ the bi-focals. Made in the USA, has adjustable temples and a neat tilt feature. Can't remember what they cost me but with the replacement price of eyeglasses today, they're well worth it.

Mac

Bruce Wrenn
03-02-2009, 9:59 PM
Why not buy a pair of safety glasses? I pay about $100 at Wally world for mine. Also look at Clark Howard's site for Zinni's Optical (sp?) They do glasses dirt cheap.

Michael Prisbylla
03-02-2009, 10:11 PM
I was able to pick up a pair of prescription safety glasses at wally world, too. I paid only $44 and they're not ugly. Probably the best way to go.

Greg Cuetara
03-02-2009, 10:14 PM
I will make my pitch for wally world also. I picked up a pair for around $59. They had a deal for safety glasses when I picked up mine that the lenses were only $10 each. When I went to my optician they wanted $300 + for 'safety glasses'. Might be worth looking into them at wally world.

Jim Kountz
03-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Dont know how bad your eyes are but for me Im able to get by really well with the bi-focal safety glasses. Got mine from Woodcraft I think and in the +1.5 power. I love those things and I dont have to wear my real glasses in the shop at all. But my eyes arent too bad really, 20/30 in one eye and 20/50 in the other. Could be worse.

glenn bradley
03-02-2009, 10:59 PM
I just wear my regular glasses. Theyre not impact resistant but theyre pretty thick lenses. If I ever take a good enough shot to the face, i dont think safety glasses are going to help me more than regular glasses.

Plus I have cat-like reflexes! :eek:

ps

You might want to discuss that theory with your eye doctor or optician. Your frames are built to keep your lenses from falling out (away from your face). Safety glasses frames are built to keep the shatterproof (unlike your) lenses from being pushed out towards your face (ah, the curse of being an optometrists son rears its ugly head) :D

glenn bradley
03-02-2009, 11:01 PM
I wear Rx safety glasses. They are much cheaper than your eyes and you never have to remember to put them on. the problem I have is remembering to take them off. I figure out I'm still wearing them when someone at the grocery store is staring at me!

John Rene Lastre
03-03-2009, 12:51 AM
Well after lurking on this forum for over a year I finally feel there is a discussion to which I can add. I have fairly poor eyesight so I fear going to Wallyworld to correct my 20/200 vision would still cost me about $100 for Rx safety glasses. I do have a pair of my father's old glasses he used as a machinist with wire side deflectors and all, so I might get lenses made for them when I want to go retro.

After reading a review from Fine Woodworking on EyeArmor (http://www.liveeyewear.com/eyearmor/) I purchased a set and have been very happy with them. I feel the plastic is clearer then any other OTG safety glasses I have had, fit comfortably over Rx glasses, come with a carrying bag and strap, and are vented. I sweat alot so the last point seems to matter little. They are a bit pricey with a MSRP of $25 but you can find them cheaper.

ron hokenson
03-03-2009, 1:19 AM
Does anyone have a recomendation for a good quality pair of safety glasses that sit on top of regular eyeglasses? I have several good pair of splash-resistant GOGGLES, but none are comfortable to wear for a long period. All the fit-over-your-eyeglasses types I've ever tried have either been 1) horrendously uncomfortable, or 2) "universal" (which I think is code for "enourmous" or "covers half your face").

Dan, My woodcraft store has cheap plastic glasses that go over my glasses. They were about $10 and work just fine. I use them regularly and don't have any problem with vision or comfort and they don't even fog up. They do scratch easily if you leave them laying around. For $10, it's worth a try if you have a woodcraft store close by. I didn't see them in the online catalog.

Mike Null
03-03-2009, 6:31 AM
I recently installed a polycarbonate shield over my saw and I often wear a face shield.

I wear tri-focals and have eased off my wood working quite a bit so I doubt if I'd consider prescription safety glasses but think they are a good idea.

Brian W Evans
03-03-2009, 8:37 AM
+1 for the EyeArmor. I've had mine since the FWW review came out and I like them quite a bit. Most importantly, they're comfortable, clear, and don't seem to fog, which means that I actually wear them.

Anthony Whitesell
03-03-2009, 9:27 AM
Most safety glasses that go over prescription glasses are physically huge. I have convertible prescription safety glasses (meaning the side shields snap on and off), but in a pinch I use the AOSafety Tour-Gaurd (Grainger P/N 3AN09) to go over my glasses if I don't have my side shields available. They a little on the large side and not as comfortable as regular glasses. But I have had to use worse in both cases (larger and more uncomfortable). Better yet, they cheap ($2.10 a pair)

Don Bullock
03-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Well after lurking on this forum for over a year I finally feel there is a discussion to which I can add. I have fairly poor eyesight so I fear going to Wallyworld to correct my 20/200 vision would still cost me about $100 for Rx safety glasses. I do have a pair of my father's old glasses he used as a machinist with wire side deflectors and all, so I might get lenses made for them when I want to go retro.

After reading a review from Fine Woodworking on EyeArmor (http://www.liveeyewear.com/eyearmor/) I purchased a set and have been very happy with them. I feel the plastic is clearer then any other OTG safety glasses I have had, fit comfortably over Rx glasses, come with a carrying bag and strap, and are vented. I sweat alot so the last point seems to matter little. They are a bit pricey with a MSRP of $25 but you can find them cheaper.

I have EyeArmor safety glasses as well and bought them because of the FWW article. They are very comfortable and I often forget that I have them on over my prescription glasses. I must add, however, that my prescription glasses are very light weight and small. They are made by Sihouette (similar to those pictured below).
http://eyeglasses.go-optic.com/DFRAMES/IMAGES/AUSTJoHJ.jpg
Because I'm nearsighted and I use progressive lenses, finding "off the shelf" magnifying safety glasses isn't an option for me.

Myk Rian
03-03-2009, 10:59 AM
I've been wearing prescription safety glasses since I've worn glasses. About 25 years now.

Rob Diz
03-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Wally World is your best bet. I was there (I really do hate the place) waiting to get some sought after electronics crap for my kids. Anyway, they had "given out" the numbers but you had to wait until 10 to buy the thing.

So I walked into the glasses area. I asked about safety glasses, the nice lady showed me a pair for $100. I then said "I don't care what they look like - I want full coverage of my eyes with side pieces. She pulls out the UGLY glasses. $29.99 for the frames AND single vision lenses.

Those $30 glasses are the first thing I put on when I walk in the shop - I leave on the bench so I don't forget.

I to was stuggling with glasses over glasses. These glasses are really the best - no fogging, no hassles, no worries about paint on the sides of my regular glasses.

My wife hates when i come into the hosue wearing 'em, but I think it's gradually growing on her.

I do get a bit of shock if she has any friends over visiting.

you can spend more, but why?? With very few exceptions, I'm alone in the shop or I'm with one of my kids. Did I mention that they were $30??

Dan Friedrichs
03-03-2009, 5:19 PM
Thanks for the opinions, everyone. I'm especially grateful to those of you who recommended the EyeArmor brand. That's exactly what I've been looking for! Not some cheap ill-fitting throw-away pair, but something that looks like I might actually wear it.

I'll give them a try and report back :)

Mark Visconti
03-03-2009, 7:29 PM
Does eyearmor work well with over the ear protection? I have some safety glasses that I wear over my glasses, but they muck with my peltors

Mark

Tim Brodeur
03-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Hi am very new to this forum and about one year into (old) home ownership. Due to the many really dirty, dusty, etc jobs around the basement or attic, I picked up a pair of the DEWALT® Safety Goggles, Concealer™ - Clear Anti-Fog Lens. These are goggles, but will keep small things from falling into your eyes, especially if you are on your back or constantly looking up. They are about 12 to 15 bucks doing a quick Google search.

Because of their design and size, I find them pretty comfortable over my glasses - similar to ski goggles actually.

I keep them hanging right above my table saw in the basement for quick access. Between these and a pair of peltor ear muffs, I would say comfort ok. After a while it's the ear muffs that start to irritate, pressing against my glasses. Also, I am pretty sure I am not getting maximum ear protection because of the small gap - but that's another story.

DeWalt also has a smoked lens version that I have and plan on using this spring time when I am outside working on one of the many projects outside...

-Tim

John Rene Lastre
03-04-2009, 8:14 AM
Does eyearmor work well with over the ear protection? I have some safety glasses that I wear over my glasses, but they muck with my peltors

Mark

Live Eye Wear (makers of EyeArmor) also markets to the shooting (and fly-fishing) community, so the glasses appear to be designed to go with over the ear (OTE ?) protection. I have worn them with OTEs (two sets of different Peltors in fact but for shooting sports) without problems at all.

I would point out that there is some debate whether one should wear ear protection pugs when you have glasses with OTEs. The reason for this is that there is a gap (all be it small) where the seal is opened between your head and the OTEs when wearing glasses. For this reason I am saving for a set of custom plugs. Perhaps this is overkill but my brother was born with 50% hearing loss and after working in the music industry is up to 80%. So I have special ensentive.:eek:

John Rene Lastre
03-04-2009, 8:35 AM
Thanks for the opinions, everyone. I'm especially grateful to those of you who recommended the EyeArmor brand. That's exactly what I've been looking for! Not some cheap ill-fitting throw-away pair, but something that looks like I might actually wear it.

I'll give them a try and report back :)

Glad to have given back to the community that has helped me so much with one of my hobbies. As Brian stated you will sometimes forget they are even on. I started wearing them when I re-upholster furniture (yet another hobby) and can sit there removing staples for hours with them on.

Kevin Ladenheim
03-05-2009, 11:40 AM
My regular glasses are very tiny and light but my Rx safety glasses are very
heavy because I have a strong Rx. I'd much rather wear my regular glasses and put something over them.

visorgogs are the only thing I have found that does this comfortably and
they are cheap. I just polish them with a cloth wheel in the drill press when they get scratched.

I'd really like a face shield that is part mesh so it doesn't fog. Has anyone found one at a good price?

Joe Von Kaenel
03-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Dan,

I wear glasses also and wear these from Lowes $6. Joe