PDA

View Full Version : Going Camping !!!

Steven Wilson
07-14-2004, 9:56 PM
Well, last week I took the kids camping for the first time and they had a great time. To keep things organized I thought I would make a camp kitchen. The box in the picture is the result. The sides are 1/4" birch ply, top and bottom are 1/2" birch ply, and the framing is 3/4" birch. Three birch runners are on the bottom. The inside has compartments for a Coleman stove, Coleman lantern, Coleman fuel, and kitchen gear. On top I trimmed it out with some scrap walnut to keep cutting boards, or stove from falling off. The finish was something new; Defthane. Defthane is an oil based poly that's good for indoor and outdoor use; it worked well. It was a nice chance to get some practice using a pocket hole jig as well as try out a lipping planer that I recently scored from someone who was selling one on the Felder forum (Lamello Cantex).

Jim Ketron
07-14-2004, 10:07 PM
That box looks too nice to take camping!:eek:
Great job!
Looks critter proof too!
Jim

Steven Wilson
07-14-2004, 10:20 PM
That box looks too nice to take camping!:eek:

That's what my wife said !!! The finish is quite glossy but that's a good thing as you get a much nicer build of solids with a gloss finish than with satin. I guess it has around 6 coats of finish on th outside and 3 coats of Deft lacquer on the inside.

Bruce Page
07-14-2004, 10:54 PM
Cool idea, and it looks great too!

Dale Thompson
07-15-2004, 12:30 AM
That's what my wife said !!! The finish is quite glossy but that's a good thing as you get a much nicer build of solids with a gloss finish than with satin. I guess it has around 6 coats of finish on th outside and 3 coats of Deft lacquer on the inside.

Steve,
Ditto on the gloss finish. However, if you want a satin finish, apply the gloss first and then lay on a coat or two of satin. It works for me. ;) :)

By the way, nice work on the camping box. I've camped quite a few times over the years and know that storage efficiency is a REAL advantage! ;)

I hope that you folks have a lot of fun!! :)

Dale T.

Dan Mages
07-15-2004, 9:06 AM
Nice job with the box! I used a similar one when I was in Boy Scouts.