PDA

View Full Version : Experimenting with forms. My funky bowl.

Alan Trout
03-02-2009, 8:24 PM
I turned this bowl yesterday afternoon/evening. The wood pretty much dictated the shape because of a defect in the wood and wanting to keep the height. I figured I would make it an experiment and see how I liked it. It is a piece of mesquite that is about 8.5 inches in diameter and about 4 inches high. The piece is a consistent 1/4 inch think except bottom because I did not feel like hollowing down into the foot. It is finished in Watco Danish Oil and I plan after a few weeks of cure time spraying with lacquer.

I really tried to keep radius's consistent and flowing into each other. Now one of these day's I need to figure out how to take a decent picture.

All in all I kind of like the way it turned out.

Thanks for looking

Alan

Don Carter
03-02-2009, 8:28 PM
Alan:
It looks like that big fat lathe stand is doing pretty good! ;) Your work is too! I like the bowl. Good job!

All the best.

Don

David Christopher
03-02-2009, 8:30 PM
Alen, thats a good looking bowl. dont think I would laquer it I like just like it is

Steve Schlumpf
03-02-2009, 9:20 PM
Good looking bowl Alan! Beautiful wood and finish! Sort of a footed calabash bowl! Interesting form!

Toney Robertson
03-03-2009, 6:44 AM
I love the form.

Everyone has their favorite form but there is no reason not to experiment.

Nice bowl.

Toney

Jeff Nicol
03-03-2009, 7:57 AM
Alan, That form is one of the ones that has stood the test of time, very simple but graceful at the same time. The thickness of the sides is really the only thing that can be changed but not on yours. I think the look and weight of the bowl are right on!

Great job! and love the Mesquite wood!

Jeff

Alan Trout
03-03-2009, 8:21 AM
Thanks to everyone for the kind words. The mesquite was saved from the burn pile. Last week I had an inspection in Dilley Tx. which is about 40 or 50 miles from the Mexican border. As I was driving down there I was talking on the phone to my wife and was discussing how the only thing in Dilley was huisache and mesquite and I really needed more stuff to turn. When I arrived at the house I was talking with the people and come to find out one of them was a tree trimmer and had a pile of BBQ wood out back and they told me to take what I wanted. Of course I had to take a few pieces. This is just one piece. I do love mesquite.

Don the lathe stand is working out great. I really like the lathe and the stand more and more every time I use it. I was hogging 1/4" off at a time without a hicup. great power, stable. and smooth.

Alan