PDA

View Full Version : todays oak and maple bowls post 3 (2 more bowls) critque please

curtis rosche
03-02-2009, 8:00 PM
the oak is red oak. the maple is something that doesnt want to sand at all . so i tried to burn it. i sprayed wd40 on the inside and threw some wood shavings inside and lit it. but only the oil burned it didnt even do anything to the wood. so then i pulled out the wire brush that goes on the drill, and wire brushed the whole thing. the pictures dont really pick up the pattern well. and then i took a mapp gas torch to it. just to scorch it.

curtis rosche
03-02-2009, 8:01 PM
one more picture...

curtis rosche
03-02-2009, 8:55 PM
thoughts? ..........................

Dennis Ford
03-02-2009, 9:02 PM
The platter is very nice, you did a good job getting the center section shaped. It can be difficult to avoid a hump or valley in the center of platters.

The shape of the bowl looks good, I don't care for the wire brushed and scorched finish. To each their own.

David Christopher
03-02-2009, 9:37 PM
Curtis Im with Dennis I really like the platter and the shape of the bowl is really nice...did you try to power sand...I think a smooth finish on the bowl would make it very nice

curtis rosche
03-03-2009, 8:38 AM
i tried powersanding the maple peice but it just didnt want to work.

Steve Schlumpf
03-03-2009, 9:51 AM
Curtis - the platter turned out nice! I'm not a big fan of burned - so I have to agree that a smooth, natural wood finish would look better. The bowl does have a nice form to it!

Keep experimenting - it is how we learn!

Jack Giovo
03-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks again for showing your stuff - I havent been in my shop for four days as the temps havent gotten above the teens and it is dang cold out there spending cash for fuel and not projects is not where I want to be right now:eek:

Your platter is great looking and the bowl has a great design

Jack