PDA

View Full Version : Plane rehab - V&B 905

Mike Henderson
03-02-2009, 6:14 PM
Here's a Vaughan & Bushnell 905 that I rehabbed recently. It had a few problems, including needing a new knob and tote, which I made out of walnut (V&B used walnut for at least some of their planes). It has a corrugated bottom, with is a bit hard to find in the V&B planes.

For those of you who don't know V&B planes, they have the Bedrock frog and the body of the plane is drop forged steel, so it won't break if you drop it off your bench like a Bedrock will. The planes also look like a Bedrock, with the flat top sides (if that makes any difference to you).

V&B made three models of their planes, the 700 series, the 800 series, and the 900 series. The 700 and 900 had the drop forged bodies while the 800 was cast iron. In my opinion, the 900 series planes are better quality than the 700 but my exposure to the 700 series is limited.

I prefer the V&B 900 series planes to the Bedrock, primarily because of the non-breakable body, and because they are usually less expensive than the Bedrock. Performance is the same, but they will benefit from a modern, thicker iron.

Mike

Matthew Dunne
03-02-2009, 7:51 PM
Looks great. Beautiful knob and tote!

Richard Kee
03-02-2009, 8:04 PM
I've followed your discussions over the last several months and noted your attachment to V&B planes. Based on your expressed satisfaction with these planes, I jumped on a 905 when it came available, and for less than $10.00. I've not been disappointed!

I have a couple of questions for you:

1. Your tote seems to have a longer horn than does mine. Did you use the V&B tote as an example, or did you use a Stanley? My tote seems to fit my larger hand better that does a Stanley, but I like the longer horn.

2. Was you plane originally painted on the side? Mine is and I've been reluctant to remove it until I determined if it was supposed to have not been painted. The condition of the finish (japanning) on both the inside and outside looks to be original and is in excellant condition.

I hope to have mine finished in a couple of weeks.

Richard

Mike Henderson
03-02-2009, 8:25 PM
Richard - please see my notes in your text.

Mike

I've followed your discussions over the last several months and noted your attachment to V&B planes. Based on your expressed satisfaction with these planes, I jumped on a 905 when it came available, and for less than $10.00. I've not been disappointed!

Yeah, I hesitated to say a whole lot about the V&B planes because the more people who are looking for them, the higher the price will go. You did very well getting that plane at $10. V&Bs in really good condition often go for $60-$80. That's in really "original" condition.

I have a couple of questions for you:

1. Your tote seems to have a longer horn than does mine. Did you use the V&B tote as an example, or did you use a Stanley? My tote seems to fit my larger hand better that does a Stanley, but I like the longer horn.

I used a tote from another V&B as a guide, but I have to stress "guide". I didn't even try to be exact - I just went with what looked good to me. If I later find the horn to be too long (not comfortable), I'll take the tote off and sand it down.

2. Was your plane originally painted on the side? Mine is and I've been reluctant to remove it until I determined if it was supposed to have not been painted. The condition of the finish (japanning) on both the inside and outside looks to be original and is in excellant condition.

When you say "on the side" I assume you mean on the outside of the body. The answer to that is "No", none of the V&B planes were painted on the outside. Many were nickel plated (I think it's nickel) and the plating is often starting to come off. Doesn't affect operation - just looks.

I hope to have mine finished in a couple of weeks.

Please post a picture when you're finished - heck, post a picture now so we can see what you have to deal with. I (and some other people) might be able to answer your paint question better.

Richard

Craig Johnson
03-02-2009, 9:33 PM
Shes a beaut Mike.
Nice job!

Jim Koepke
03-03-2009, 4:11 AM
Nice work.

Do you know of any sites with information on the V&Bs to add to our Neanderthal Wisdom pages?

jim

Michael Sobik
03-03-2009, 9:23 AM
Looks great! The knob and tote are fantastic.

Mike Henderson
03-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Nice work.

Do you know of any sites with information on the V&Bs to add to our Neanderthal Wisdom pages?

jim
Over the years, Jim, I've read things on the V&B planes and the company but I don't think I bookmarked any of it. Some of it was a posting on another forum, but by someone who seemed to know the history pretty well.

I'll see if I can find any of it again and, if I do, I'll post the links.

Also, I'll ask here that if anyone knows of sites that have info on V&B planes, please post a link.

Mike

[Just a comment, the three lines of planes - the 700, 800, and 900 - each had a name, like "Uncle Sam", "Lincoln", or something like that. The names are almost never used any more and the planes are just referred to by their numbers.]

Ken Werner
03-03-2009, 1:05 PM
very nice Mike.