PDA

View Full Version : Cedar HF

Bill Bolen
03-02-2009, 6:08 PM
Red Cedar is from a cut off of a log I sent to a friend. I usually turn this form face grain orientation but tried the end grain form on this. Looking down into the end of the log the red heart wood flared out sort of in a star shape. 6X7.5 with a "pouty" lip and a bit of texturing around it. 6 coats of wipe on gloss poly...Bill..

Dave Halter
03-02-2009, 6:13 PM
Wow! What a finish! I think I could shave in the reflection on my monitor. Very pleasing shape and gorgeous wood.

Dave

curtis rosche
03-02-2009, 8:09 PM
i love that finish it almost looks like glass

David Christopher
03-02-2009, 8:13 PM
beautiful HF and finish I really lovr cedar

what kind of wipe on poly did you use

did you buff

Jack Giovo
03-02-2009, 8:17 PM
Great work - like the way you see and turn the wood and finish is just right - thanks for posting your work:D

Jack

Don Carter
03-02-2009, 8:18 PM
Bill:
Wow! You have been busy. Love the wood and the finish and as always, great workmanship!
Thanks for showing it here.

All the best.

Don

Chris Haas
03-02-2009, 9:18 PM
how do you get it to not split on you. i have a cedar log and i literally watch it crack while its on the lathe.
a landscaper i know has a bunch of red cedar he wants me to come get, but i have put it off because i cant get anything to not crack on me.

Steve Schlumpf
03-02-2009, 9:42 PM
Bill - now that's sweet! Great form and color! Nice detail line around the rim! Finish looks like glass - doesn't get much better than that! Very nice work! Very nice!

Richard Madison
03-02-2009, 9:52 PM
Bill,
Very pretty indeed, and the surface looks quite level. At some point in the finish process do you sand it level?

Chris Rae
03-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Beautiful!!! I love the cedar, the shape and the finish. Very, very nicely done!
Chris

Jarrod McGehee
03-03-2009, 12:46 AM
That HF is absolutely astounding with a finish to match! great job, great job!!!!!!

Jeff Nicol
03-03-2009, 8:00 AM
Bill, Are you buffing them out or are you just that darn good at application of the wipe on poly? No matter which they are very nice!!!

Love the form too!!!!

Jeff

Bill Bolen
03-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Chris: I have not had a piece of cedar yet that did not crack. Sometimes you are about done and can hear it crack. Just stay on top of the larger cracks filling with sawdust and CA, wait to fill the multitude of smaller hairline cracks until the first coat of finish is on. Prevents a lot of mars from the CA.
Richard and Jeff: For the finish I wet sand between coats usually takes a half dozen coats with this cedar as it really sucks up the finish. Wet sanding each coat about guarantees a flat surface. This has not been buffed yet. Finish is so smooth I really don't need to buff but it feels so much better in the hands after buffing that I will use white diamond and wax. Tripoli is not needed here...Bill..