PDA

View Full Version : Winged Black Walnut bowl.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-02-2009, 5:15 PM
Finished this bowl last saturday after starting it just a few days before from a green log, it is 13"X8" and 3" high.
The wood comes from a small Walnut tree that got removed from behind my place after Christmas, and I cut the log into pieces and gave most of them to the woodturners club for the raffle.
It is ⅛" thick at most places but for the shoulder and base, the sapwood was quite translucent while it was still wet, after having it had for one day in a paper bag I remounted it and sanded the inside and wing topside, and put one coat of Polymerized tung oil on it, then put it back in the bag for another day.
Then I took it out again and by this time the bowl had changed shape enough that I couldn't mount it the normal way and had to haul out the vacuum pump and mount it that way, finished the base and sanded the bottom of the bowl and the underside of the wings.
Put another coat of Polymerized tung on the inside and top and also a coat on the other side/bottom, let it sit for another day and polished the top side some.
Pictures taken and showing :)

All comments welcome :D

Greg Haugen
03-02-2009, 5:19 PM
Sweet!! Even if it was painted black, I'd love the form and craftsmanship. The color of the wood and the way it plays on the form is incredible!! Well Done!!

charlie knighton
03-02-2009, 5:23 PM
very nice, is the whiteness of the sapwood from the walnut being so green, or from the tung oil??? what does the Polymerized do to the turg oil

Dave Ogren
03-02-2009, 5:28 PM
Leo,

Once again, absolutely just beautiful.

Dave

Bill Bolen
03-02-2009, 5:49 PM
Lovely piece Leo! I rarely find Walnut here with very white sapwood. Ours is usually more tan. I love the stark white on this...Bill..

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2009, 5:52 PM
Beautiful piece Leo. Really like the sap wood against the black or dark wood.

Dave Halter
03-02-2009, 6:11 PM
Great looking piece! That's beautiful wood.

Dave

John Timberlake
03-02-2009, 8:42 PM
Great shape and nice finish. I have never had a piece of walnut with that much sap wood. Really nice.

David Christopher
03-02-2009, 8:50 PM
Leo, thats another beautiful piece...I allways look forward to seeing one of your pieces of art

Nathan Hawkes
03-02-2009, 9:27 PM
Leo, that's great! I have to ask how you can use the vacuum pump when its that warped. Every time I try to use mine on a bowl that I haven't turned twice, then It doesn't ever get a good seat on the chuck surface. What sort of foam or vacuum sealer do you use?? Do you have any pics?? I'm new to the vacuum chuck thing, and I could use the suggestions.

Steve Schlumpf
03-02-2009, 9:29 PM
Leo - very interesting form! Love the way you used the colors of the wood to your advantage! The detail lines around the outer edge and again at the rim of the bowl highlight the change within the form - very nice touch!

Once again I feel like I have been to school on the basics and how just a few little things can enhance the whole. Thanks for that!

Terry Achey
03-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Wow, Leo. Simply stunning! Beautiful color contrast and such a unique design. Nice job seeing that beauty of a piece hidden inside that small tree!

Terry

Barry Stratton
03-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Another beauty Leo!! Very well done.:D

Jarrod McGehee
03-03-2009, 12:33 AM
Nice Job Leo. I like that white sapwood. sure was a lot of it on that piece huh? So what exactly is Polymerized Tung Oil? Also that picture of the piece turned upside down almost looks like a tophat from a glance... just a little sidenote.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-03-2009, 12:36 AM
That's another Leo! Great form, finish and wood!

Mark Patoka
03-03-2009, 9:02 AM
That's really cool. Neat way to show off and use the heart/sapwood in the design.

Jack Mincey
03-03-2009, 9:50 AM
I love the contrast in the sap and hart wood. Very nice.
Jack

steven carter
03-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Leo,

I don't think I've ever seen anything just like this one, I really like it.

Steve

Lionel Mercier
03-03-2009, 1:31 PM
Fine work. Just what I enjoy with.

Chris Padilla
03-03-2009, 1:42 PM
I've always cursed all the sapwood in my walnut boards but "mine eyes have seen the beauty" now! :D

Thanks for sharing....

Ken Glass
03-03-2009, 6:19 PM
Leo,
You have done a wonderful job with the wood to capture the Sap and Heartwood together. The form and finish are excellent. Very well done.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-04-2009, 3:40 AM
Thanks Nathan, I used wetsuit foam, kind of thick, but I needed that or I wouldn't get a seal, don't have any pictures, but I could make some, though it isn't anything fancy, I just use whatever I have around that will work, I did another one this evening, also warped, but not quite as bad, used the same foam, I got a whole wetsuit from friends that had one they couldn't use anymore, nice stuff, just a little thick for some things, but I do have some of that cheap thin stuff if I don't need the thicker foam, HTH

Jeff Nicol
03-04-2009, 6:35 AM
Leo, The piece speaks to us all, it is wonderful and the contrast and shape are something to behold! Sometimes the best laid plans are interrupted by nature for a reason, this is one of them!

Spectacular!!

Jeff

Leo Van Der Loo
03-04-2009, 7:58 PM
Sweet!! Even if it was painted black, I'd love the form and craftsmanship. The color of the wood and the way it plays on the form is incredible!! Well Done!!

Thank you Greg, appreciate it :)

very nice, is the whiteness of the sapwood from the walnut being so green, or from the tung oil??? what does the Polymerized do to the turg oil

Thanks Charlie, it is the fresh green wood, turned thin and dried before it can stain itself, as it will do that otherwise.
Polymerized Tung oil, gets hard quicker and harder-shinier than non polymerized tung oil, go to the link and click on instructions.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=20051&cat=1,190,42942

Leo,

Once again, absolutely just beautiful.

Dave

Thank you Dave, appreciate it :D

Lovely piece Leo! I rarely find Walnut here with very white sapwood. Ours is usually more tan. I love the stark white on this...Bill..

Hi Bill, thank you, I don't think the Black Walnut here is any different than yours Bill, but this was real fresh and turned and dried very quickly, it is the only way I know of to have it not get stained by it's own sap, though it will eventually get colored slightly by UV light and air oxidation.

Beautiful piece Leo. Really like the sap wood against the black or dark wood.

Thanks Bernie, take care.

Great looking piece! That's beautiful wood.

Dave

Thanks for commenting Dave :)

Great shape and nice finish. I have never had a piece of walnut with that much sap wood. Really nice.

Hi John, thanks, it takes a number of years for the wood to turn into dark heartwood, if the tree grows well that is wider than if the tree grows slow, I do believe that is the reason for the wider sapwood :).

Leo, thats another beautiful piece...I allways look forward to seeing one of your pieces of art

Thank you for your kind words David, I'm having fun doing it, and I keep on trying to show the beauty that's in the wood :D

Leo Van Der Loo
03-04-2009, 8:45 PM
Leo - very interesting form! Love the way you used the colors of the wood to your advantage! The detail lines around the outer edge and again at the rim of the bowl highlight the change within the form - very nice touch!

Once again I feel like I have been to school on the basics and how just a few little things can enhance the whole. Thanks for that!

Thank you Steve, Steve you do have a very good analytical eye, it was exactly my thought as I was turning the blank, if turning the usual way there would be just a small bowl with two dark half moons, nothing more.
Going very thin with a wide rim, so as to keep the white and dark contrast of the wood was something I could do, but a wide flat rim would be very weak and delicate, also changing shape while the wood dried, wouldn't look so good I thought, so the curve was used to make it more interesting and strengthening the whole piece, and using the distortion to enhance that shape.
The little details just popped up as I was doing the final cutting, keeping the "less is more" in mind, so just a little added detail to have the wandering eye stop, it did seem to be just right.

Sometimes it works, and I'm pleased with it, next one might not be as good, but I'll have fun doing it :D.

Wow, Leo. Simply stunning! Beautiful color contrast and such a unique design. Nice job seeing that beauty of a piece hidden inside that small tree!

Terry

Thank you Terry, yes it's all there, we just have to recognize it, I guess that's the hard part :).

Another beauty Leo!! Very well done.:D

Thanks Barry, appreciate it :-))

Nice Job Leo. I like that white sapwood. sure was a lot of it on that piece huh? So what exactly is Polymerized Tung Oil? Also that picture of the piece turned upside down almost looks like a tophat from a glance... just a little sidenote.

Hi Jarrod, thank you for commenting.
I've got a link here, if you go there you'll see a tech and instr, just click on that and you will get the low down on polymerized pure tung oil.
Yes the old style top-hat shape was noticed here also :D

That's another Leo! Great form, finish and wood!

Thank you Ken, just like I always say "never the same", and I keep on trying that :)

That's really cool. Neat way to show off and use the heart/sapwood in the design.

Hi Mark, thank you, yes I think it worked well :D.

I love the contrast in the sap and hart wood. Very nice.
Jack

Thanks Jack, appreciate your commenting :)

Jeff Luedloff
03-04-2009, 8:48 PM
awesome bowl

Leo Van Der Loo
03-05-2009, 1:25 AM
Fine work. Just what I enjoy with.

Thank you for commenting Lionel :D

I've always cursed all the sapwood in my walnut boards but "mine eyes have seen the beauty" now! :D

Thanks for sharing....

Hi Chris, thank you, take care :)

Leo,
You have done a wonderful job with the wood to capture the Sap and Heartwood together. The form and finish are excellent. Very well done.

Thanks for your kind words Ken, much appreciated :)

Leo, The piece speaks to us all, it is wonderful and the contrast and shape are something to behold! Sometimes the best laid plans are interrupted by nature for a reason, this is one of them!

Spectacular!!

Jeff

Thank You Jeff, always to be outdone by nature, but it is nice to sometimes be able to give it a helping hand. :D

Leo Van Der Loo
03-05-2009, 1:27 AM
Hi Jeff, thank you for commenting, take care :)