PDA

View Full Version : First bowl (Critique please)

Dave Halter
03-02-2009, 4:54 PM
Okay, okay, it's not the first bowl I've turned. BUT, it is the first one that still has a bottom in it - so technically the others would be funnels, right?

It is Maple and is about 7.5"W x 5.5"D x 2.5"H.

Now for the questions. I have put 2 coats of Watco Danish Oil on it, but what do I do know? I have a buffing system, including unused bowl buffs, but I think it would just tear the NE off. Should I spray a finish on?

Thanks,
Dave

Judy Kingery
03-02-2009, 5:05 PM
Dave,

Man that's pretty, light and airy, kept all your bark for a NE. Excellent! Only thing I can tell you is how does it feel, I mean to the touch on your finish? I've not used Watco Danish. From the look of it - it looks finished to me. Really nicely so. Unless it's tacky or dull up close, I'd bet anything between a satin and gloss like it looks in your picture is perfect! Maybe others who've used the finish you used will add some insight. Very nicely done!

Jude

Ken Glass
03-02-2009, 5:07 PM
Dave,
WoW!! That is a very nice N.E. It could have been your 50th. Form, technique and finish are all great. I don't see why you need any other finish. The finish shows well without being too overdone. Well Done!

Steve Schlumpf
03-02-2009, 5:20 PM
Dave - very nice bowl! Great form and love all the bark! I have used Watco 'Natural' for years and it is good stuff! Depending on what you want the finished product to look like - you can poly over the Watco once it has dried or just leave it as is. Personally, I like the way this looks now and wouldn't change a thing! Nice work!

alex carey
03-02-2009, 5:22 PM
no idea whats next but that is a beautiful bowl. Nice job with the bark, keeping it all intact can be tough.

charlie knighton
03-02-2009, 5:32 PM
very nice... i like your natural edge

Michael Mouse was mentioned on another thread and he does some very good natural edge, he likes to find the curly stuff in his wood pile

Bill Bolen
03-02-2009, 5:44 PM
That is a great piece.....especially considering it is your first "non funnel". It has a very light "feel" to it form the pic. Watco natural or a few coats of wipe on satin poly would help protect that very white wood and the poly would help hold the bark in place. Just be cautious buffing...don't want to loose that bark. Great job!...Bill...

Dave Halter
03-02-2009, 5:53 PM
Dave,

Man that's pretty, light and airy, kept all your bark for a NE. Excellent! Only thing I can tell you is how does it feel, I mean to the touch on your finish? I've not used Watco Danish. From the look of it - it looks finished to me. Really nicely so. Unless it's tacky or dull up close, I'd bet anything between a satin and gloss like it looks in your picture is perfect! Maybe others who've used the finish you used will add some insight. Very nicely done!

Jude

The finish feels good, but it's not fully cured yet. I put a second coat on this morning.

Dave

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2009, 5:55 PM
Great looking NE. Keeping the bark on and a really nice finish.

Dave Halter
03-02-2009, 5:58 PM
That is a great piece.....especially considering it is your first "non funnel". It has a very light "feel" to it form the pic. Watco natural or a few coats of wipe on satin poly would help protect that very white wood and the poly would help hold the bark in place. Just be cautious buffing...don't want to loose that bark. Great job!...Bill...

I like the way it looks now, but I was concerned about just an "oil" finish and whether I should put wipe on poly over it. If I do put the poly on how do I poly the bark? Do I not worry about the "face" of the bark and just get the edges?

Dave

Dave Halter
03-02-2009, 6:02 PM
Thanks for all of the comments. The self-critique in me says the pics make it "look" better than it "feels". There's still some ridges that you can feel, but they're large more like humps than ridges. Overall, I'm pleased though.

Dave

Frank Townend
03-02-2009, 6:51 PM
Dave that is a beautiful bowl ... as is.
Nicely done.

David Christopher
03-02-2009, 7:37 PM
Dave, like everyone else it finished to me... very nice

Allen Neighbors
03-02-2009, 7:44 PM
Dave, I use CA glue on the bark attachment point, when I'm turning it, that way I don't have to worry about the bark coming off later.
You've got a perfect bowl here. Super job, very well done.

curtis rosche
03-02-2009, 8:08 PM
excelent bowl

Don Carter
03-02-2009, 8:10 PM
Dave:
Great looking bowl! I am not a big NE fan, but that one is very nice.

All the best.

Don

Toney Robertson
03-02-2009, 8:18 PM
Nice looking NE.

You did a great job with the bark which is not easy to do (at least for me).

Toney

Randy Hoch
03-03-2009, 12:35 AM
Thanks for all of the comments. The self-critique in me says the pics make it "look" better than it "feels". There's still some ridges that you can feel, but they're large more like humps than ridges. Overall, I'm pleased though.

Dave
Dave,
I know what you mean about the self-critique... The humps you referred to: Are they up on the wings just above where you start to "turn air" if you know what I mean. You sure can't see them in the photo! That's where I get them and I think it has to due with flexure. I'd like to be able to support the wood with my off hand but I know better! Those wings can bite! I guess a light touch and sharp tool is what's called for. I've been at this for more than a year and I haven't done a NE bowl any better than yours.
BTW, I wouldn't even consider buffing on this piece.

Randy

Jarrod McGehee
03-03-2009, 12:51 AM
Dave, great form on the NE and it looks good as is. But just one question... How did you get all the bark to stay on so nicely? when I tried an NE the bark would go into orbit. Come to think of it, I think some of it was part of that meteor shower last weekend. ;)

Dean Thomas
03-03-2009, 11:42 AM
It's awful, Dave. You should not keep it in your house. Embarrassing, even.

You need to get in your vehicle and drive it down to Kansas City RIGHT NOW to prevent any further embarrassment. I'll hide it from the public for you to help you save face.

As always, friend, you've produced a very nice piece.

You also need to show off your ornament "rack", with details about the how and why. I heard about that demo, even though I wasn't there. :)

Dave Halter
03-03-2009, 9:38 PM
Dave, great form on the NE and it looks good as is. But just one question... How did you get all the bark to stay on so nicely? when I tried an NE the bark would go into orbit. Come to think of it, I think some of it was part of that meteor shower last weekend. ;)

I really don't know. This is one of three bowls I turned last year at a class and the only NE one. It was pretty wet when I turned it and I can only think that that has quite a bit to do with keeping the bark on.

Dave

Dave Halter
03-03-2009, 9:41 PM
Dave,
I know what you mean about the self-critique... The humps you referred to: Are they up on the wings just above where you start to "turn air" if you know what I mean. You sure can't see them in the photo! That's where I get them and I think it has to due with flexure. I'd like to be able to support the wood with my off hand but I know better! Those wings can bite! I guess a light touch and sharp tool is what's called for. I've been at this for more than a year and I haven't done a NE bowl any better than yours.
BTW, I wouldn't even consider buffing on this piece.

Randy

There are humps you can feel toward the top of the wings and also at the transition area from the side to the bottom. I think those may actually be a result of sanding a bit of a flat on those areas.

Dave

Dave Halter
03-03-2009, 9:44 PM
It's awful, Dave. You should not keep it in your house. Embarrassing, even.

You need to get in your vehicle and drive it down to Kansas City RIGHT NOW to prevent any further embarrassment. I'll hide it from the public for you to help you save face.

As always, friend, you've produced a very nice piece.

You also need to show off your ornament "rack", with details about the how and why. I heard about that demo, even though I wasn't there. :)

Dean,
Thanks, but the wife seems to like it...although her taste may be somewhat suspect considering who she married.:D I plan on bringing it the meeting tomorrow night. Hope to see you there.

Dave