PDA

View Full Version : When is DNA... DOA?

Gary Chester
03-02-2009, 4:36 PM
I'm wondering if my DNA is too old and tired to be doing any good... It still smells pretty strong but it's color is pretty dark from a bunch of black walnut. I alway keep it in a sealed container. I'm thinking that all the water it has pulled out of the turnings has mixed with it and has diluted it making it less effective.

How long do you use yours before replacing it.

Greg Haugen
03-02-2009, 4:52 PM
Gary,
When I used to use DNA as the bowls were saturated with DNA and removed I would add some as the levels dropped. A member in our club "claims" the alcohol doesn't "pull the water out" but binds with it in the cells so when the alcohol dries the water dries. Hence the alcohol in your bucket should always be alcohol. I'm not sure if I believe that or not. It's a theory. Part of this "questioning" is the reason I built a kiln and took the guesswork out of it. I've never had an issue of the "color" from a walnut batch effecting another batch of lighter color bowls. Dave Smith's site, article, and blog has some excellent and continuously updated info on the subject.

Not much help, I know.

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2009, 6:00 PM
I have used DNA now for 3 yrs now and haven't changed it out. I just keep adding as the levels go down. I have had good luck with it.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-02-2009, 7:54 PM
Why would you change it, or should I ask why do you use it ???
If it makes you feel better keep using it, the wood won't know the difference IMO

Steve Schlumpf
03-02-2009, 9:13 PM
I do the same as Bernie! As the levels drop - just add more DNA. Have never had a problem with the DNA not working.