PDA

View Full Version : Mission-Inspired Plant Stand

Keith Starosta
03-02-2009, 3:09 PM
Mission-Inspired Plant Stand

I'm sort of in between projects at the moment, as I just completed a clock for my wife, and am gathering funds to purchase the lumber for my trestle table. I needed a quick-turnaround project, and remembered that my wife's plant stand at the front door was falling apart. PERFECT! I did a quick search, and found a picture that I liked. It was a scanned image taken from a 1912 Popular Mechanics magazine. Here it is...

I got a quick design approval from the LOML, and away I went. Ideally, I would have used QSWO, but since I didn't want to spend any money on this project, I was going to use some recycled lumber. The SYP I'm using is from an old king-sized waterbed frame. :D It cleans up pretty well, I think.

Obviously, the first thing I did was mill up all components of the stand. I glued up panels for both the top and the secondary shelf, and moved on to the stiles. I milled the tenons first, and then started on the grooves that would accept the decorative panels beneath the top. This is where I encountered my first (of hopefully few) problems.

I was going to "drop" the stiles onto a spiral straight bit chucked into my tabletop Delta "shaper", but when I turned on the machine, the motor ran but the spindle wasn't turning. I opened it up, and saw that the drive belt had broken. Nice. :mad: I didn't want to wait for a new belt, so I started noodling how to accomplish my task. Ultimately, I did end up using the Delta shaper...or the top of it, at least. :D Turns out the width of the stiles is such that it fits perfectly into the miter track. I used a stile in the slot as a backstop of sorts, and clamped a block of wood to the right side of the table to keep everything in place. I ganged all of the stiles together so that my router had some stability, and away I went. It may look a little strange, but it worked great!!

I'm at the point where all parts are milled and awaiting initial glue-up. Everything is going along pretty well at this point...

My next steps are to cut out the diamond shapes in the panels, and then cut the top and shelf to size. I've also started messing around with colors for the finish. My wife isn't a fan of super-dark wood....or even dark wood, for that matter. I told her that she was going to be involved in helping with the color selection, for which she initially balked at. Then she saw all of the choices she was going to be able to play with, and changed her mind... :D

I'm hoping for some shop time later today, but we'll see. I've got a ton of snow to shovel, and kids who want to play. :D

More to come...

- Keith

Jim Becker
03-02-2009, 5:52 PM
Gotta love a "man on a mission"... :D Looking forward to this project!

John Thompson
03-02-2009, 8:19 PM
Good start.. looking forward to the finish line..

Sarge..

Keith Starosta
03-06-2009, 5:14 PM
06 March Update!

I was able to get in the shop for a little while last night, and some over the last coupld of hours. I got quite a bit done!!! I've got the entire project to the dry-fit stage, ready for sanding. Here are some pictures of the progress I've made...

After color and grain matching (as best I could) the slats for all four sides, I laid out the diamond shapes. I used my miter guage to make the cuts, but wish I wouldn't have. I didn't count on being able to see as much of the back of the slats as you can. The undercut of the TS blade is pretty plainly visible...if you get right up it. :o Oh well....live and learn!!

After a quick test fit into their respective stiles, I did a dry fit of the assembled panels into the legs. I'm really happy with the way it all fit together!!

At that point, I chamfered the tops of each post, to ease the sharpness. For safety reasons, I ended up using the TS for this process. I clipped each of the corners for the top, leaving about 1/16th of an inch all the way around. I hadn't originally planned on putting a chamfer around the top, but ultimately thought it would be a nice touch. I mortised the legs for the bottom shelf supports, then clipped the corners of the shelf. Shockingly, it all fit together like a glove!

Here are closer shots of the top and the side panels...

Hopefully I'll be able to get the sanding done over the weekend, then start on the finish!!

Thanks for looking!!

- Keith