PDA

View Full Version : CorelDRAW Mono Chrome Tutorial

Tom Knight
03-02-2009, 2:45 PM
Attached is a zip file with a video tutorial on converting images to MonoChrome in CorelDRAW. Bit of a different routine but I think this routine will help with setting up for your images for engraving a little faster.

I will be digging more into this and providing more little tips and tricks in the future as time provides.

Let me know if this routine works for you or if you have ideas or tips that can build on this little routine...

I also attached the CorelDRAW file so you can work along with the video if you like or you can review the results of the conversion.

Steve Clarkson
03-02-2009, 3:24 PM
Tom,

Thank you. That was an excellent tutorial. I'm comfortable that I can now convert an RGB to Monochrome.

I only have one question.......why would I want to do that? LOL!!!!

The RGB, greyscale and monochrome images all looked the same on the screen......is there an advantage to converting to monochrome when using a laser?

Tom Knight
03-02-2009, 3:37 PM
Tom,

Thank you. That was an excellent tutorial. I'm comfortable that I can now convert an RGB to Monochrome.

The RGB, greyscale and monochrome images all looked the same on the screen......is there an advantage to converting to monochrome when using a laser?

Hi Steve,

From what I understand many of the lasers work with mono chrome and the conversion has been an issue at times. So I have been interested in how this can be done quickly and easily in DRAW. Which was the inspiration on me figuring out that routine.

I gues there are some pretty expensive software solutions out there so my hope was this simple routine would open this conversion up for Engravers or at least make some of the work associated with the mono chrome conversion a bit easier.

Thanks,

Tom

Steve Clarkson
03-02-2009, 3:47 PM
Hmmmmm......I guess I'll have to test it by engraving a greyscale and a monochrome to see if there is any difference.

I assume you can make photos monochrome too then.

Tom Knight
03-02-2009, 4:20 PM
Hmmmmm......I guess I'll have to test it by engraving a greyscale and a monochrome to see if there is any difference.

I assume you can make photos monochrome too then.

I would to like see your results.. So I can try to tweak this conversion process out a little better. Then I could write up some scripts for corel etc if needed to turn the process into a few mouse clicks.

Scott Shepherd
03-02-2009, 7:06 PM

Tom doesn't speak "laser" so he's telling you the graphics side of it. Essentially, this is like what Rodney, Frank, and Doug worked out for Photoshop, except it's done from within Corel itself. He's speaking the right terminology (I think), and it's us laser users who have made up all sorts of other phrases for it.

John W. Love
03-02-2009, 7:14 PM
He's speaking the right terminology (I think), and it's us laser users who have made up all sorts of other phrases for it.

We have to have our own lingo to keep the scroll sawers at bay. You know how those traditionalists can be! :p

Steve Clarkson
03-02-2009, 9:10 PM
Tom doesn't speak "laser" so he's telling you the graphics side of it. Essentially, this is like what Rodney, Frank, and Doug worked out for Photoshop, except it's done from within Corel itself. He's speaking the right terminology (I think), and it's us laser users who have made up all sorts of other phrases for it.

So do you think a monochrome picture would engrave better than a greyscale?

Scott Shepherd
03-02-2009, 10:06 PM
So do you think a monochrome picture would engrave better than a greyscale?

Photograv doesn't use grayscale. This is the same concept as that.

Tom Knight
03-03-2009, 5:43 AM
Photograv doesn't use grayscale. This is the same concept as that.

The monochrome file is a 1 bit black and white file while the greyscale is an 8 bit file... The trick in this routine is that you have a 1 bit that is converted to look like an 8 bit. Corel uses a soft mask to accomplish this. Actually it comes down to the transparency on the pixels which is what allows you to have the greyscale look on the black and white bitmap.

I will try to whip up another video to explain this in more detail but from what I can see so far once I crack into this a bit more I should have more information...

Actually this monochrome design is pretty cool and the things you can do with it are amazing.... to say the least. At least from my point of view.

Steve Clarkson
03-03-2009, 6:53 AM
Ha! And Frank tried to tell me that there was no such thing as a 1 bit greyscale!!!!

Thanks Tom.....once again, VERY informative. I know I'm gonna learn ALOT from you!

Scott Shepherd
03-03-2009, 7:34 AM
Ha! And Frank tried to tell me that there was no such thing as a 1 bit greyscale!!!!

Thanks Tom.....once again, VERY informative. I know I'm gonna learn ALOT from you!

There isn't. This is simulating grayscale in 1 bit format. Same thing PG does.

Brian Robison
03-27-2009, 8:51 AM
Tom I'm playing with this but at the end, my picture stays black.

Steven Wallace
03-27-2009, 1:23 PM
Tom,
Thanks for the tutorial it worked great up and to the point where at the end you started changing colors. Whatever color I selected the background color changed too. Although during the presentation as I followed along I had a transparent background but after the last change to 1 bit mode the background has returned. Any solutions or quick fixes?
Steve

Dave Johnson29
03-27-2009, 2:45 PM
but after the last change to 1 bit mode the background has returned.

Hi Steve,

That is the way it is supposed to be. With 1-bit it means something is either a White or Black. Transparent is not actually a color, it is more of a rendering process when displaying the picture.

By 1-bit, it means that each pixel in the picture is represented by 1-bit of a byte and that the bit can only be turned on (white) or off (black). Actually that may be the other way round, don't quote me, :) I am old I forget stuff and too lazy to look it up.

Your laser only gets two options, burn (black) or not burn (white).

Steven Wallace
03-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Dave,
Thanks for the reply I was just trying replicate what happened with the tutorial. However your explanation was completely understandable. I will have to get up to the boonies someday and meet you for a cup of coffee or an adult beverage and talk over the lasers. Sounds like you have a nice setup from reading your posts and I envy your having a CNC shop.

Dave Johnson29
03-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Sounds like you have a nice setup from reading your posts and I envy your having a CNC shop.

Be careful what you wish for. With 11 tons of cast iron sitting in the workshop, it can be a millstone around the neck.

I would be happy to sell off all the CNC and machinery stuff. I want to move to a warmer climate. This cold is nuts, 24 deg last night, 22 tonight. OK, so it is clear blue skies and Sunshine, but when you open that door... Bbbrrrrr.

Not too bad by mid afternoon when it zooms up to 48. :)

stephen haner
04-15-2009, 6:17 PM
when i get to the last step my picture stays all black. did i miss something?? Also my laser only takes 2bit BMP pictures. I can find a way to save that with corel. I dont know if im missing that save option. I am very new to this and have never made a good engraving. I teach at a middle school and would love to have the students engrave pictures so any help would be great. any other programs that work better then corel??

ed olveda
05-16-2013, 2:45 PM
Attached is a zip file with a video tutorial on converting images to MonoChrome in CorelDRAW. Bit of a different routine but I think this routine will help with setting up for your images for engraving a little faster.

I will be digging more into this and providing more little tips and tricks in the future as time provides.

Let me know if this routine works for you or if you have ideas or tips that can build on this little routine...

I also attached the CorelDRAW file so you can work along with the video if you like or you can review the results of the conversion.

This really put everything into perspective thank you Tom!

Mike Null
05-16-2013, 4:04 PM
Ed

welcome to SMC.

You might check the dates on these threads as this one is 4 years old. Still, if it helps, great!