PDA

View Full Version : "Best Wood" to Use

Don L Johnson
03-02-2009, 1:38 PM
I'm going to make a box and I want to inlay a cross on the top. I would like to have the cross stay a red/purple color over the years. The top will be walnut burl. What is the best wood to use? I've heard that purple heart will brown up over the years, if not sooner. What about bloodwood? My current thoughts are to rub in an oil to "pop" the grain and then after it drys, lacquer for the top coat. Thanks for any suggestions.

Arnold E Schnitzer
03-02-2009, 1:41 PM
Whatever wood you use, consider spar varnish for your finish. Spar varnishes have UV inhibitors which should help keep the wood color from bleaching out.

Doug Shepard
03-02-2009, 1:48 PM
IMHO purpleheart or bloodwood isn't the best wood for inlaying into walnut. Even if you manage to somehow stop (I'm not sure it's possible) or slow then tendency to turn brownish, it's just not much of a contrast. I'd go with something much lighter - maple or even holly. I put some bloodwood trim on a stainded mahogany project and once it started browning, there's not all much difference between the colors.

David Christopher
03-02-2009, 2:20 PM
IMHO purpleheart or bloodwood isn't the best wood for inlaying into walnut. Even if you manage to somehow stop (I'm not sure it's possible) or slow then tendency to turn brownish, it's just not much of a contrast. I'd go with something much lighter - maple or even holly. I put some bloodwood trim on a stainded mahogany project and once it started browning, there's not all much difference between the colors.

I agree with Doug about contrast... maybe cut a small piece and put it on the walnut and see what it looks like

the purple will stay purple if it has a little sunlight once and a while

Lee Schierer
03-02-2009, 2:25 PM
I was asked to make a prayer request box for our church and used walnut inlayed in red oak with a honey oak stain to match the woodwork in our church. It has not changed color much since it stays indoors and the church has little natural sunlight.http://mysite.verizon.net/us71na/prayerbox.jpg

The browning of the woods you mentioned would be due to exposure to UV particularly from sunlight. If the box is used indoors, most likely it will see little sunlight. You could dye holly or birch and it will retain the red color for many years. I have a desk name plate (see attached photo) my father made for me over 25 years ago from black walnut with red dyed birch inlay. The walnut has lighented (light brown) but the red color is still highly evident.

Cherry will get darker red with age and exposure to light.