PDA

View Full Version : Just purchased MM FS35

dan lemkin
03-02-2009, 1:24 PM
Hi,

After some deliberation... I decided to go whole hog and get the FS35 elite instead of the FS30... This is after my misadventures and return of the G0634...

Major factors were:
- longer bed
- two speed planer
- 4 blade tersa cutter head
- better fence
- built in included mobile base

I just sent off the order email and am feeling a little queasy about the price... but figured... I won't have to upgrade in the future... someone pat me on the back and tell me I am making a wise decision. Never had such rapid buyers remorse before... (my wife made me promise to set up a budget after this... ouch!)

Doug Shepard
03-02-2009, 1:51 PM
Boy did you screw up. Just so you dont suffer pangs of remorse every time you look at it, I'll pay the shipping and let you store it at my place so youre not constantly reminded. Always willing to help out a fellow Creeker in need.:D

Rod Sheridan
03-02-2009, 2:48 PM
Hi,

After some deliberation... I decided to go whole hog and get the FS35 elite instead of the FS30... This is after my misadventures and return of the G0634...

Major factors were:
- longer bed
- two speed planer
- 4 blade tersa cutter head
- better fence
- built in included mobile base

I just sent off the order email and am feeling a little queasy about the price... but figured... I won't have to upgrade in the future... someone pat me on the back and tell me I am making a wise decision. Never had such rapid buyers remorse before... (my wife made me promise to set up a budget after this... ouch!)

Dan, you won't regret it once the machine is in your shop.

I purchased a Hammer A3-31 and wish I'd done it sooner.

I'm interested in the shipping material, could you please photograph the machine packaged for shipping?

Have fun with it, it's a once in a lifetime purchase, and you'll love Tersa heads..........Rod.

dan lemkin
03-02-2009, 2:52 PM
I will post images of the whole shipping process... to compare with my previous experience... But with the preface that it is an apple-orange comparison...

Will this, and photos of my new sawstop contractor serve as a mini gloat?

Chris Padilla
03-02-2009, 3:26 PM
I have an FS41-Elite (16"+) so I believe yours is 14"-, right? 350 mm = 13.78"

Once we have pics, we can begin to BELIEVE! :D :D :D

Although, I have 3-knife Tersa head since it is an older model.

dan lemkin
03-02-2009, 3:42 PM
it is a 14" ish.... it has a 4.8hp 230v motor. can anyone confirm that this will run on a 30amp circuit? I would rather not rewire the shop... AGAIN...

does anyone use the two and two blade option... like two m42 and two hss? or two carbide and two hss?
does anyone agree that the hss give you a better surface than the m42 or carbide?

carbide seems risky... one chip and you are out $100 a blade. for $400+ in blades, I would consider a shelix head for it.... so I will probably get the m42 blades, or HSS depending on feedback I get here.

Rod Sheridan
03-02-2009, 3:49 PM
Dan, my 4HP(S6) Hammer runs just fine from a 15 Ampere circuit.......Rod.

Chris Padilla
03-02-2009, 3:53 PM
The motor is fine on 240V/30A circuit.

I have never thought of mixing blade types and I can't, really, since I only have 3.

I can't bring myself to purchase the carbide knives when the m42 and hss are so cheap and cut so nicely. Honestly, I can't tell the difference in cut when the blades are new. The m42 will last longer than the hss but brand new, *maybe* the hss cut cleaner.

Since they are about the same cost, get sets of m42 and hss and see what you think.

Danny Burns
03-02-2009, 3:57 PM
After I change my knives on my regular headed jointer for the hundredth time, I will check in with you to see if you still have buyers remorse! LOL

Some people in order to avoid buyers remorse start low, and slowly work their way to the top, and along the way spend way more than if they had just bought the top-end at the start, of course they never noticed the extra time and expense, so they completely avoid buyers remorse.

Enjoy it!:eek:

Bruce Page
03-02-2009, 4:55 PM
Sweet!I hope this one arrives safe and sound.

Jim Becker
03-02-2009, 6:07 PM
Congratulations, Dan. You're going to really enjoy that machine! I have it's older sibling, the FS350...it's part of heart of my shop.

I'll also confirm that the 4.8hp MiniMax machines run just fine on a 30amp 240v circuit.

Todd Solomon
03-02-2009, 6:23 PM
That's one fantastic machine! I had one with the same motor, it'll run just fine on a 30 amp breaker. Heck, I've run a 7.5HP motor on a 30 amp breaker. Start-up current is higher (plate says 38 amps), but circuit breakers will allow momentery spikes higher than 30. So your motor will be just fine on 30 amp breaker.

Welcome to the combo j-p family. I have an AD741 Felder with the Tersa head, you're gonna love it.

David Sparks
03-04-2009, 5:18 PM
Dan, you won't regret it. I thought it cost all the money in the world when I bought my FS35
over fifteen years ago, but I love it, and looking back the price seems very reasonable. You have to consider how much it would cost to have both a jointer and planer with that much width capacity as well as how much more space two machines would occupy. I've never had a minutes trouble from either my FS35 or my S45 bandsaw. I'd like to buy a larger Minimax bandsaw in the future when I can afford one.

Rye Crane
03-04-2009, 5:58 PM
Dan,

Congratulations on our new MiniMax FS35. I am sure you will enjoy the
stability and power of your new jointer/planer. I bought their FS2 last year and have really enjoyed being able to skew difficult grain pieces over
the cutter head. I use the HSS Tersa knives and the finish is almost as good as my LN 41/2 smoother gives me. I understand the M42 lasts longer but the carbide will not give you as good a finish as the HSS and that they will last much longer than the HSS or M42. With the Tersa head you can save your less than perfect knives and use them on questionable boards with knots, etc. They change out so easily.

You may want to try Ed Papa at Simentechinc.com he carriers Tersa as well as Aigner safety pieces. I used the Aigner brackets on front and back of my J/P to mount extension tables for really large pieces for jointing. Really handy.

Good Luck, let us know and show the pictures when you get it up and running. Congrats again.

Rye Crane

Steve Rozmiarek
03-04-2009, 9:35 PM
Congrats Dan! The butterflys go away, usually right after you try it out. Then however, the regret for not buying it sooner will kick in:D