PDA

View Full Version : Delta 50-760 Dust Collector Good Choice?

Ryan Eldridge
03-02-2009, 1:23 PM
Hi there all I am looking at getting a dust collector for my shop. I have 18x18 garage shop, with a table saw, band saw, lunch box planer and 6" jointer in it.

It is just me using the tools in the shop one at a time so I do not mind moving the DC from machine to machine. Or moving the machine closer to the DC. I have been using a little DC that I cobbled together from the HF portable dust collector and the Thein baffle, it works ok but I end up with a ton of chips in the bottom of my table saw and it sucks for emtpying(pardon the pun)

I was thinking of getting the delta 50-760 it seems to be a good performer I would probably just use the 5" port instead of the wyed 4" ports.

What do you all think of this choice? And also what are any of your suggestions?

Thanks,
Ryan

Chris Friesen
03-02-2009, 7:03 PM
I have that collector. It works reasonably well but the bag isn't all that big so heavy use can fill it fairly quickly. Your pre-separator should help with that. I empty the plastic bag into large garbage bags.

Going with the larger hose is a good idea. The collector actually can theoretically flow enough air to use a 6" hose, but you'd need larger ports on your tools to actually make that useful.

You may want to consider removing the metal "X" in the intake. I found that long stringy jointer shavings got caught up on it and plugged the intake. Snipping it out solved the problem.

Mike Sandman
03-02-2009, 7:22 PM
I have this uit in a 20X12 garage shop. I used 4" ducting and blast gates to each of the stationary machines, which are used one at a time, as in your shop. The longest run of ducting is about 20 feet with a couple of right angles. It does very well, in general. If you're planning to roll it to each machine there will be penty of static pressure (vacuum) to do the job using a 4" hose or a 5" one. It's fairly easy to change the bag and the unit is reasonably sturdy. The only problem I have even wit the long duct runs is with the table saw's zero clearance insert. Some dust collects above the table but I'm about to solve that (I hope) with an overhead hood and a hole or two drilled in the insert.

Mikail Khan
03-02-2009, 7:23 PM
I'm happy with the performance of my 50-760, but the casters are on the small side so its gets stuck when it reaches a small obstruction like an extension cord. Consider upgrading to a larger diameter wheel to resolve this problem.

I will eventually get around to upgrading mine.

MK

Paul Stroik
03-02-2009, 7:33 PM
I also have the 50-760 with 4" wye. One to Bandsaw and the other to Tablesaw. Very satisfied and no complaints. I do have it situated in the center of the shop so no moving around required.

Brian Peters
03-02-2009, 7:50 PM
Great dust collector, very powerful.. quick googled it looks like one I have - 1200CFM @ 1.5hp - I think I paid $350 for it.

Chad Harrison
03-02-2009, 8:31 PM
I have this uit in a 20X12 garage shop. I used 4" ducting and blast gates to each of the stationary machines, which are used one at a time, as in your shop. The longest run of ducting is about 20 feet with a couple of right angles. It does very well, in general. If you're planning to roll it to each machine there will be penty of static pressure (vacuum) to do the job using a 4" hose or a 5" one. It's fairly easy to change the bag and the unit is reasonably sturdy. The only problem I have even wit the long duct runs is with the table saw's zero clearance insert. Some dust collects above the table but I'm about to solve that (I hope) with an overhead hood and a hole or two drilled in the insert.

I have a similar set-up, and the 50-760 with a Thien chip separator suits me just fine. I'm not looking for surgery theater cleanliness, mind you, but I don't feel like I'm choking on dust at any point. Even with the known limitations of 4" PVC runs, I have no complaints.

Ryan Eldridge
03-02-2009, 9:26 PM
Thanks for the push towards the DC guys. It seemed like a good one for a single user shop. I went ahead and ordered one for just less than $350 including shipping.

I am looking forward to using it. I will provide a report back on how it works.

Rob Diz
03-03-2009, 12:11 PM
I have it and like it a lot. I have a single car dedicated shop. I have BS, TS, RAS, jointer, 18 inch woodmaster and performax sander (the sander "lives in the other garage). rather than move the DC around, I used 5 and 6 inch snap and lock metal piping to plumb my shop. I go from the 5 inch to a 6 inch trunk with 5 inch drops to 4 inch blast gates and flex to the tools. It works great for me.

Oh, one other nice thing about the Delta DC - you can flip the assembly so the motor is underneath. That's a big help if, like me and a few others, you run your lines up the wall and over your ceiling.

Now the 18 inch woodmaster can throw off some serious chips, which this DC was able to collect, but they often go hung up on the metal X right before the impeller. I ended up buying a 30 gallon metal trash can, cut two holes in the top and made my own "preseapartor" to collect those chips. It works like a dream. I just used that trash can with my performax sander, and a lot of the dust stayed in the can as well. I didn't have time to make the Thein baffle, but that will probably improve collection as well.

I ahve to say it is much easier to empty the trash can than the lower bag. I always end up with crap on my arms when I remove the lower bag.

Mark Patoka
03-03-2009, 12:35 PM
I have that DC also and hook it up to each tool individually using the 4" hose. The wheels do get caught up easily on an extension cord but it works great. I don't have a preseparator so the bag fills very quickly when using the planer. If I know I'm going to be planing and filling 3-4 bags in one sitting, I just use large garbage bags in place of the factory bag so I don't have to take time and dump it out each time.

I remember seeing somewhere on the web that someone had made a preseparator that mounted directly underneath the motor, saving space.

JohnT Fitzgerald
03-03-2009, 3:02 PM
I have the -760 and like it a lot. I can't compare it with other DC's though, since this is my first.

I try not to wheel it around - it's located for best connection to my TS, and the only other tool I connect it to for now is my planer (I use a longer flex/spiral hose). I plan on running rigid pipe at some point, and I'll use as much 5" or 6" on the horizontal runs as I can, and drop 4" to the inlets.

The suggestion for a pre-separator is a good one.

One comment on a recent experiment - another poster mentioned running dual hoses to his TS. I have a single hose (maybe 8') to my TS, and another 15' hose that I run to my planer. When I turn the machine on, the 'turbulence' in the lower (clear) bag indicates to me relative airflow into the DC. With the TS connected (blast gate open), I get quite a bit. With the TS closed and the longer flex hose connected to *nothing*, I get considerably less. That goes to show how much an impact the flex host can have on airflow, IMO.

Paul Wunder
03-03-2009, 3:17 PM
Although I am now upgrading to a Clearvue 1800 Cyclone, I have used the Delta 50-760 as a roll-around dust collector for two and 1/2 years. Very good chip collector for a 10" hybrid table saw and 6'' jointer using only the 4"ports and a five foot flex hose. I installed a canister filter from Wynn Environmental
to improve the filtration. I got the idea from a Fine Woodworking article a few years ago in which the 50-760 was top rated as the best performer. Wynn can give you conversion instructions. I am a novice and the project was fun and it works.

Bob Magnuson
03-04-2009, 6:39 PM
Ryan, where did you order for less than $350 including shipping?!?!?

Bob

Brian Peters
03-04-2009, 7:10 PM
Was about 2 years ago, but got a good deal at the local woodcraft.. shop around I've seen it online for about $380 but it fluctuates depending on the retailer. :cool:

Ryan Eldridge
03-09-2009, 4:02 PM
Bob,
I got the 50-760 from Toolking. I guess I mistyped somewhat on the price. The machine was 369.99 with free shipping and then they sent me a card for a $25.00 manufacturers rebate.

The shipping was quick I ordered it on a Monday and had it on Thursday.

When I lived in Denver I would shop there a fair amount seemed to be a good outfit, and the tools I purchased there especially some reconditioned nailers have held up really well.

David Hostetler
03-09-2009, 7:32 PM
I seriously considered that DC, but did not like the bag. I needed a DC AND a good Cartridge filter I could get for less than $350.00

I ended up with a Harbor Freight 2HP (the newer 20 amp model) with a Wynn spun bond filter and a "stovepipe mod" meaning I replaced the 5" flex hose with a pair of adjustable elbows and a short section of 5" duct...

If I had the budget I would MUCH rather have the 50-760

Tony Cox
03-10-2009, 12:36 PM
I've had the 50-760 since last summer and so far it has worked great. It's done everything I've asked of it and now the shop is fairly clean.

I got mine from Amazon for $316.59 with free shipping. I couldn't pass it up. :D

Tony