PDA

View Full Version : Final Assembly (Gloat)

Randy Miller
03-17-2003, 12:12 PM
Well, I tried to put this into weekend accomplishments, but I've haven't quite figured out how to link multiple images, so I'll try it the old fashioned way - multiple posts :-)

A few weeks ago, a crate arrived and I hadn't been able to really touch the contents because I've been reworking the shop. So I finally got around to it and built it up. Below is what I started with, and the next post is what it ended up as.

Thanks for looking, full review will follow in the next week or so.
-Randy

Randy Miller
03-17-2003, 12:13 PM
Here it is, where it will stay -- all 800 lbs. of it! :-)

Jim Izat
03-17-2003, 12:17 PM
Randy I hate to prove my ignorance, but what is it?

Jim Izat

Randy Miller
03-17-2003, 12:34 PM
That is a Stubby 750 Lathe. It is a little less well known than the other contenders in the big lathe category, but will stack up well against any of them. A two horsepower 3 phase motor with VFD converter built in for standard shop use and variable speed, moving lathe ways it has more configurations than you could possibly use.

It is so silky smooth that with my airmate helmut on, I couldn't here the motor spinning at 1600 rpms.

-Randy

Ted Shrader
03-17-2003, 1:45 PM
Randy -

Nice new toy! And thanks for putting GLOAT in the subject line. :) Didn't have card you for a drive-by.

Very cool!

Ted

Scott in Douglassville, PA
03-17-2003, 3:12 PM
Arrived a few <i>weeks</i> ago, and you're just <i>now</i> getting around to assembling it?!

I will <b>never</b> understand people...

Michael Cody
03-17-2003, 8:37 PM
Originally posted by Scott in Douglassville, PA
Arrived a few <i>weeks</i> ago, and you're just <i>now</i> getting around to assembling it?!

I will <b>never</b> understand people...

<b> I AGREE!!! </b>:eek:

There should be a rule that if you get something that is gloatable and leave it in the box more than 24 hours .. you to donate it to someone who is motivated to really appreciate it....

Jonathan Flachman
03-17-2003, 9:32 PM
what does that mean I have to do with the powermatic 8" jointer I bought (used) in December and haven't assembled yet? Of course, even if I had, I don't have the 220 power yet to turn it on :(

Terry Hatfield
03-17-2003, 10:12 PM
Randy,

You have clearly violated the "put the new tool together as soon as you get it" rule. Crate it back up and send it to me. As a good will gesture I will send you mine.

You dog!!!! Wish I had one...'course I ain't got any time to use the one I have...:(

Terry Hatfield

Steven Wilson
03-17-2003, 10:22 PM
Ohhhhh, Ahhhhhhhh, a Stuby - congrats on the new lathe. They look so cute when they're all wrapped up

Terry Hatfield
03-17-2003, 11:56 PM
OK you guys!!!!!

Cut that out!!! I'm getting lathe envy:D

Terry

Jim Becker
03-18-2003, 8:12 PM
Oh, my...now I'm truely jealous! :eek: The Stubby is my next...and last...lathe. I've been drooling over them since I finally got to see them "live" at the AAW Symposium in Providence last summer.

Congratulations on the "birth" of a great tool!