PDA

View Full Version : Vari Grind Jig

Mike Stephens
03-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Could someone please tell me the height from the v arm were the jig sites to the center of an 8" wheel. :confused:

Ron McKinley
03-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Not sure what your question is but the base of the Wolverine jig should be 6 1/4" - 6 1/2" below the center of the grinding wheel. Hope this helps. If not please re-ask your question........Ron

Scott Conners
03-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Ron's measurements are correct. I don't have the jig at hand right now, but I believe the pocket is about 1 1/4" above the bottom of the base unit, so you'd be looking at about 5"-5 1/4" below center of the wheel. If no one has answered more accurately by later tonight I can have a precise measurement when I get back from the shop.

Narayan Nayar
03-02-2009, 12:04 PM
I just installed one this weekend. Ron is right. The base goes 6-1/4" to 6-1/2" below the center of the grinding wheel.

-n

Mike Stephens
03-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Ron's measurements are correct. I don't have the jig at hand right now, but I believe the pocket is about 1 1/4" above the bottom of the base unit, so you'd be looking at about 5"-5 1/4" below center of the wheel. If no one has answered more accurately by later tonight I can have a precise measurement when I get back from the shop.

Yes I'm looking for the hight from the pocket to the center of the wheel. I bought the vari grind jig but built my own base system.
Thanks'
Mike

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=109615&d=1234264605

ROY DICK
03-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Mike,
Mine is 5 3/4".

Roy

Thom Sturgill
03-03-2009, 11:37 AM
The distance from the BOTTOM of the wolverine jig is supposed to be 6 1/4 - 6 1/2" according to ONEWAY's documentation - however there is considerable distance from the bottom of the jig to the bottom of the cup, maybe as much as an inch. 'aroundthewoods.com' has an article on building your own jig and he shows the bottom of the cup to center of wheel being 4", which was for his homemade holder. I think that is probably too high for the vara-grind holder.
Taunton press has a PDF (http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pdf/ShopBuiltJig.pdf) on their site showing a design by King Heiple that has dimensions, again 4" from bottom of cup to center of wheel, but again that is also for a custom built grinding jig.

After building a couple, I broke down and just bought the whole rig as it was detracting from being able to turn:)

Jeff Nicol
03-03-2009, 12:07 PM
I built my own base too and it is whatever it is. I had nothing to go by. The thing that matters is when you adjust the jig to match the bevel on your tools. It can't be to high as you will not be able to grind the tool or to low as the same problem. The jig is adjustable and the legnth of the cup from the wheel should be adjustable. You should be able to come up with the right adjustment for your setup. Mine works great and have not had any trouble. I just switched yesterday to an 8" grinder and all I did was change the angle on the jig and moved the cup out to get it right.

My situation,

Jeff