PDA

View Full Version : White oak dough?

jay case
03-02-2009, 11:10 AM
What do you use for white oak wood dough? Hardware store only sells red oak which is not a good match.
thanks for any tips

David Christopher
03-02-2009, 11:15 AM
sawdust and glue will work if the area is not to big....take a belt sander and make some dust, mix it with carpenters glue and wah lah wood filler

Quinn McCarthy
03-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Jay

When I use wood dough I usually mix some colors together until you get it right.

Davids method work well too. Especially on woods like cherry that get dark over time. I have seen jobs were people match the putty to the current color of the cherry and a few years later you have light spots all over the piece.

Quinn

jay case
03-02-2009, 11:41 AM
When you mix sawdust with carpenters glue does it take stain then? I always have had problems with glue preventing wood from being stained. What is wah lah wood filler? Is that a brand?

David Christopher
03-02-2009, 11:48 AM
When you mix sawdust with carpenters glue does it take stain then? I always have had problems with glue preventing wood from being stained. What is wah lah wood filler? Is that a brand?

yes it will take stain to a certin extent but if you will seal the wood first ( sanding sealer ) and then stain it will all come out even...

and no wah lah is not a wood filler, just a saying

Rod Sheridan
03-02-2009, 12:41 PM
[quote=David Christopher;1069091

and no wah lah is not a wood filler, just a saying[/quote]

Voila! (French), used in a sentence to indicate a transformation or sudden occurence.

Sorry, my keyboard doesn't have the accent key to put the accent over the a.

Regards, Rod.

Lee Schierer
03-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Jay

When I use wood dough I usually mix some colors together until you get it right.

Davids method work well too. Especially on woods like cherry that get dark over time. I have seen jobs were people match the putty to the current color of the cherry and a few years later you have light spots all over the piece.

Quinn

I do the same thing, but you can also mix in oil based stain into the wood filler if the wood is going to be stained. Stain a piece of scrap and then add stain to the wood filer until the color matches the stained sample.

Thomas Pender
03-02-2009, 2:03 PM
I use Timbermate's White Oak filler when I need to :o. It is water soluble and wonderful. I buy it from Woodworker's Supply and they have Red Oak, Cherry, Maple, etc. If you mix it with you stain in advance it even looks better. IMHO it has saved me more than I deserve, plus it sands perfectly (220 by choice).

You can mix it with saw dust also and when used properly only someone like one of us can tell.

Craig Reynolds
03-02-2009, 2:24 PM
Famowood Oak

David DeCristoforo
03-02-2009, 2:25 PM
"...and no wah lah is not a wood filler..."

Now you tell us. I've been getting very strange looks from people ever since I started asking for "Wahlah" wood dough.

http://www.daviddecristoforo.com/Misc/rofl.gif

Tom Veatch
03-02-2009, 2:40 PM
...wah lah...

Phonetic spelling of the pronunciation of the French word, voilą (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/voila), lit. "look (or see) there".

David Christopher
03-02-2009, 2:41 PM

Now you tell us. I've been getting very strange looks from people ever since I started asking for "Wahlah" wood dough.

I get strange looks with out saying anything

jay case
03-02-2009, 2:50 PM
ok thanks. Ill check out Rockler then. They should have something

Howard Acheson
03-02-2009, 3:28 PM
What are you going to use it for? Remember, wood changes color when you apply a finish and no wood filler is going accept stain or penetrating oil to the same degree as the surrounding wood. Therefore, it is best to wait until the wood has been colored and has had the first clear coat applied. Then you will know what color you need to match.

jay case
03-03-2009, 12:49 PM
its not that critical. Just want something close enough. I might try and experiment with the glue sawdust mixed as a paste but I have my doubts that the glue will allow the paste to accept stain.

jay case
03-04-2009, 11:05 AM

I'll have to brush up then and dust off my Idiots Guide to Gibberish.