PDA

View Full Version : Do I have room for a bigger saw?

Rob Price
03-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Okay, so I'm upgrading my TS to a cabinet saw, and I want to get the big extension table for it. My options are 36" (current saw) and 50" rip capacity. I built a Google sketchup model to play with. I listed the big things I have, everything else in the shop (shelves, wood rack) is easily moved around.

My current setup is listed first, I have my saw towards the back of the shop, facing the door. I left enough room between the saw and the back work bench to fit a 8" board/plywood behind the saw, but it leaves a lot of unused space. Plus, my extension table is also a great assembly table, so I spend most of my time between the miter station and the assembly table. I have a router table on the right hand side of my saw, so I spend my time right there, and I end up not even using the big workbench in the back of the shop, which is the taller bench and easier on my back.

So what I want to do is turn my TS and extension table around, so the two workbenches are close to each other and I can use both more easily. The problem is that if I get a 52" saw (85" total width) the shop gets narrow. It's not a big problem, except that I like having a router table in my extension wing, and if I turn the saw around I don't have enough room to stand comfortably at the right end of the saw to use a router. But it does open up room for a dedicated router table/station. (See option 1).

Option 2 is to replace the current saw with the new saw in it's current configuration, but that puts the left end of the saw up against a wall and I don't think would be a comfortable/safe working position. NOTE: the saw kerf is in the wrong place in this picture. (see option 2)

Another idea is move the saw towards the door, where my shop is wider. There I will have room for a router table in the extension wing, I will have almost 36" to walk around the left of the saw, but then the saw is closer to the back door and the blade doesn't line up with the door. It is almost 48" from the wall behind it, and if I have a long board to rip, I can move the saw (I am getting a mobile base) to the right and line the blade up with the door. The only problem here is I can't rip plywood full length, which I don't do much. I do have a straight edge and a circular saw with a good blade. (see option 3)

Or I stick with a 36" extension table and just flip my shop around like in setup 1. I still have room to use the extension table as a router table.

I've attached the sketchup model if anyone wants to play with it and suggest other ideas.

I think I lean towards option 1, just putting the extension table against the right wall and building a dedicated routing station. This also would involve the least amount of re-working my DC setup. I have PVC and 3 way switches throughout the shop, if I move the TS I have to move a lot of PCV and move the switches. If I turn it around I'm still okay with minor adjustments.

Chip Lindley
03-02-2009, 12:43 PM
IMHO, option #4 seems best!. Solid stock can come directly through the doorway and be ripped. IF you angle the saw, longer stock can be accommodated in your shop, corner to corner! In a small shop everything is a juggling act! IF your saw faces the door as in #2, all stock must be handled Twice!

Honestly! There are so few times in the past 20 years I really really needed a 50" fence, that I cannot presently recall any! But, a *clear* 30" rip capacity is VERY usable! All that extra real estate is either wasted to clutter, or at best utilized as a glue-up table/router table extension.

With space at a premium, consider the 30" fence in all practicality! 4x8 Sheet stock is frustratingly impossible to handle in a small shop! I use sawhorses and a skilsaw outside, to cut stuff into manageable pieces. Then I trim exactly square on my sliding TS extension.

Jim O'Dell
03-02-2009, 12:52 PM
I'd vote for 1,2 or 3 based on the fact that they are the only ones to allow you to rip sheet goods if the need arises, without rearranging for temporary use. If you never use wheet goods, then pick your poison. :D Jim.

Rob Price
03-02-2009, 1:14 PM
36" has served me well, but there are occasional times where I've needed more. What I can't do on the saw, I do with my circular saw. Cross cuts across sheet goods are no prob, I have a very nice edge guide clamp, it's those rips down the 8' that take a little more work.

The price for the larger fence is really a small fraction of the cost, so I feel like now is the time to get it. I plan on building a cabinet underneath for storage, but that would make it less mobile as well...