PDA

View Full Version : My first attempt at a box... and i ended up with a bowl.

Brian McDermaid
03-02-2009, 10:10 AM
My idea was to create a simple box out of ash with walnut accents (walnut base, rim/ring and finial).. I got a little to aggressive with the lid and ended up making a 'doughnut' out of it :o.

Soo.. my 1st attempt at making a box turned into my 2nd bowl.

http://www.lostbyte.net/pen/bowl3-1.jpg

I may end up finishing the walnut base for it... but i still have some emotional healing to do over the lid :).

~Brian

Ken Fitzgerald
03-02-2009, 10:12 AM
I'd say with that fine bowl to look at...your emotional healing won't take long! Nicely done recovery! Great form, finish and the wood is stunning. Like that combination!

Steve Schlumpf
03-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Brian - that is really a good looking bowl! Nice wood combination - great clarity in the photo! To bad about the lid - but that kind of stuff does happen from time to time! You could always make a domed lid for this piece - if you still wanted a lid.

Alan Trout
03-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Brian, Very nice bowl. I would take that bowl over a box any day. Good Work!

David Christopher
03-02-2009, 11:33 AM
started out to make a box and ended up with a piece of art. I know it is not what was hoping for but that bowl is very nice

Belton Garvin
03-02-2009, 6:55 PM
Nice Bowl. Not sure if it was intentional or not but the grain from the Ash flows right into the Walnut and then back into the Ash. Beautiful job of grain matching. That looks like it would be tough to do.

Bear

Leo Van Der Loo
03-02-2009, 7:46 PM
Emotional healing ??, aw that's a beautiful Bowl Brian, the woods really complement each other, yes too bad you screwed up, that would have been an exceptional good looking box :D, so what's stopping you from making another one :confused:, you now know how not to do it :rolleyes: :eek: :p :p :D
Running and ducking, ;)

Bill Bolen
03-02-2009, 7:58 PM
I know it is not what you intended but you now have a great "save" and a fine bowl...Bill..

Jack Giovo
03-02-2009, 8:21 PM
Brian

well you saved it and the box "turned" into a very nice looking bowl - good save from the scrap pile:D

Jack

Dennis Ford
03-02-2009, 9:21 PM
If every piece came out just like we planned it, turning would not be nearly as much fun.

Your "design opportunity" turned out really well, you should be proud.