PDA

View Full Version : Chip in mouth of Grizzly Jointer - problem?

Danny Thompson
03-02-2009, 9:53 AM
Will a chip in the mouth of a power jointer on the infeed table side make a difference?

I picked up a used 8" Grizzly G0500 yesterday that has zero wear but a little tear. The original owner had bought it along with some other Grizzly items, but never finished putting it together. In a series of moves he had lost the pork chop and the handwheels. He had never even attached a cord.

We plugged it in and everything seemed to run well. No rust. So I bought it ($300 with a mobile stand).

The only real problems I found were two chips:
- One on the bottom edge of the fence, an inch or so past the cutterhead.
- The other on the mouth end of the infeed table, maybe 1/2" across the rim and 1/16" deep.

I don't think the fence chip will make a difference. What about the mouth chip? Does it need to be repaired? Do I have to replace the infeed table?

Eric DeSilva
03-02-2009, 9:58 AM
I have that jointer as well. I don't think the chips you talk about should be an issue unless: (i) you are running 1/2" stock right where the chip is or (ii) the cast iron has mushroomed out around where it chipped. You might put a straightedge around the chip just to make sure whatever caused the chip didn't create a little bump on the edge.

Great jointer. I've never even bothered to install the table extensions.

Chip Lindley
03-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Concerning your *Chips* (no relationship I'm sure!) use *JB Weld* *industrial epoxy) to fill the voids! Clean first with lacquer thinner or acetone to remove oil/grease. Then judiciously hand file and sand the area dead flat with surrounding table/fence. Remember, LESS is MORE when filing/sanding. Take your time. IF all else is straight/flat with your 8" jointer, you got a pretty good GLOAT @ $300!

Matt Meiser
03-02-2009, 10:17 AM
I had an old-iron jointer with some chipping in the mouth and it was never an issue. I would check it as Eric said and knock down any ridge with a file. IMHO the edge is too far from the knives to affect tearout or anything like that and the stock will still be well supported.

If you want to repair it, give JBWeld a try. Use tape, cardboard, whatever to build a dam to hold it in place, pour it, let it cure, then file to shape, cleaning the file frequently. I've not used it on an edge like that but I've had good luck filling holes or gouges, even holes in a sheet metal cabinet on a sander I restored.

Edit: I see Chip posted the same advise while I was typing.

Rod Sheridan
03-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Hi Danny, sounds like an excellent deal on a jointer.

If it were me, I wouldn't replace the pork chop guard, I'd build a bridge guard instead.

It took me a while to get used to one, however I wouldn't go back now......Rod.

John Bush
03-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Hi Rod,
What is a bridge guard? any pics?

Danny Thompson
03-03-2009, 9:59 AM
Thanks, guys. I'll try the JB Weld. Once I get it up and running, we'll really learn if I can gloat.