PDA

View Full Version : which tires?

Kerry Adams
03-02-2009, 9:18 AM
Good Morning,

Need new tires for the Tacoma. Without going in to details I want to take my business to a certain place. They have Cooper or Uniroyal. Haven't used either one before, and I am old! Anybody have a vote for one or the other?

Thanks,
Kerry

Brent Leonard
03-02-2009, 10:30 AM
If that is your only choice, Cooper would be what I'd buy. I'm not saying Uniroyals are bad, just that the set I had I was not pleased with. I've had good luck with Cooper, but they are the tires on my boat trailer. That may not say anything for LT tires.

My favorite truck tire is the BFG All terrain. Inexpensive, good life and great performance. I run 33x12.50x15 on my Ford P/U and have tried a few tires in the last 10 years on that truck. BFG's have been the best so far, and I will continue to buy them.

Greg Cole
03-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Same with Brent. BFG All terrain's are the only tire if put on my trucks... going on 17 years now. Unless you drive in mud etc, they'll be a very serviceabale tire for you.
YMMV.

Jim O'Dell
03-02-2009, 11:02 AM
It's possible the Uniroyal dealer may have the BFG's also. Jim.

Gene Howe
03-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Coopers on all my trucks and passenger cars for the last 20 years or so.
They wear wonderfully, although the F250 and 350's tires are a little rough riding at recommended inflation of 80 Lb.s. With a load on, not so bad. (load on the TRUCK, not me, with a load on);)
Our passenger car Coopers give a smooth ride.

Greg Peterson
03-02-2009, 1:13 PM
Unrelated to tires, but what year and model of Tacoma are you driving?

Rick Moyer
03-02-2009, 2:05 PM
I've got Coopers on a Jeep. They've been great so far.

Bob Moyer
03-02-2009, 2:10 PM
I just put Goodyear Fortera Tripletreds in my 2005 Tacoma; great traction here in Pennsylvania and a nice quiet ride. Expensive but I only put 12k on a year

Karl Brogger
03-02-2009, 2:46 PM
BFG All Terrains are a good tire. I might buy a 2nd set of wheels and get some Mud Terrains for winter.

My last two sets of tires have been Bridgestone Dueler Revo's. Awesome tire, the previous set lasted 67,000 miles, which I thought was phenomenal considering the number of miles I put on pulling a trailer. Good snow/mud capabilbity with out being horribly noisy, with a diesel its hard to tell the noise though. Down side is they are spendy. The set I have now cost $220 per tire, the last set was $180 for 265/85/16, load range E.

Lee Schierer
03-02-2009, 3:52 PM
I used to have a Ford Explorer and it bounced like crazy when the tires were properly inflated. I put on a set of Kelly Safari SUV tires and it was like buying a new car. Quieter ride and no more bounching like a rubber ball every time you hit a bump. They wore well and had excellent winter traction.
http://www.kellytires.com/kellytires/graphics/Tires/full/106131.jpg
I'm considering them again when my current SUV needs tires.

Dennis Peacock
03-02-2009, 3:57 PM
Maybe you could find and use a set of these tires? Michelin has the design and testing for them now.

http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/14020-0-1.html

Tom Godley
03-02-2009, 4:21 PM
You must take each tire on an individual basis.

Uniroyal is owned by Michelin. Michelin also owns BFG

Cooper is a large company that also owns Avon tire in the UK -- Cooper has been big in the private label tire business they make many fine products

Ask the guy who sells them -- make sure you are buying a tire built for the type of vehicle and the kind of driving/ terrain you are going to drive on.

Tire rack has Uniroyal -- you can look over the tires and see people with your exact vehicle report back on the likes/ dislikes

You can be buying the same tire with a different name and at a different price and never know it.
irrelevant
I have been using a Goodyear tire for both my performance SUV and my sport sedan -- in these particular sizes Goodyear has them produced in Germany -- in other sizes they are produced in the states and are a completely different tire.

Brand names in many instances are irrelevant. Also, some people want great stick others want long life -- mutually exclusive.

mark page
03-02-2009, 6:04 PM
I have to go with Bob on this one. Goodyear triple treads on my car, Goodyear assurance on LOML van (one step below triple treads). I hated G/Y tires previously but they have proven themselves as of late. 80K guaranteed miles out of them. They cost an extra buck or so but I feel worth it. In fact I believe a year or so ago I posted about my experiences with these tires. No affiliation, just happy.

Larry Edgerton
03-02-2009, 6:35 PM
I have used Coopers on my trucks for years, and I could get Kumhos or Goodyears for free because of our racing sponsorships.

The ones I use have the S shaped blocks, but I can not remember the three letter designation. There is one just like it except the tread blocks are square, those are not what you want. They are better off road but will not last half as long on pavement. The square blocks are noisier as well, which goes along with less wear. I think the ones I buy are ATR's, but check it out and go for the S shaped tread. I was getting over 65K out of these Coopers with a hopped up diesel, and I drive like a madman. To give you an idea, I got 23K out of a ste of Goodyear ATS's that cost twice as much if I had paid for them.

I have a new Chevy with lousy Goodyears or I would just walk out and look, but they will be the next set.

The BFG all terrains someone mentioned are not worth a tinkers damn in rough terrain, but will wear forever and provide a good ride.

I have never had good luck with Uniroyals, but to be fair I have not used them in years.

Kerry Adams
03-02-2009, 6:58 PM
Good evening,

Thanks for all your replies. I changed my plans and ended up with Michelin XL's.

Kerry

Brent Leonard
03-02-2009, 8:48 PM
The BFG all terrains someone mentioned are not worth a tinkers damn in rough terrain, but will wear forever and provide a good ride.

I don't know if any A/T tire has ever been really great for true offroad use. I've always subscribed to the thinking that an A/T tire is for daily driver trucks that see some offroad (nothing really rough). An A/T tread pattern just isn't aggressive enough. The BFG A/T, has a great on road ride, is quiet, very good in snow and has good life span. They suck in the mud. My shovel can attest to that, Elk hunting in Colorado...:D

Dedicated offroaders like my brother, run true off road tires on their rock and mud rigs, but don't tear up good offroad tires on a daily driver.

Clarence Sears
03-05-2009, 4:43 PM
Good choice. I've Michelins for years on my trucks and never had a problem:D