PDA

View Full Version : Questions - Grizzly G1023 vs. G0690/G0691?

Jason White
03-02-2009, 8:41 AM
I have some questions about Grizzly's new 10" cabinet saws.

Other than a riving knife and the color of the saw's cabinet, I'm wondering what the major differences are between the G1023 and the new G0690/GO691.

My questions:

1. Is the newer saw as heavy-duty as the G1023?
2. Any differences in terms of the strength/mass of the trunnion assembly?
3. Any improvements or changes in dust collection capability?
4. Is the fence on the G0690/91 better than the one on the G1023?
5. Is there a router table/extension wing available for the G0690/91?

Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide. I know a lot of us are very interested in Grizzly's new offering.

Jason

Jason White
03-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Judging by the number of views, I see I'm not the only one with questions!
:D

I'm including pics of the two saws in question: The older one (the G1023) does not have a riving knife. The new one (G0690) does have a riving knife.

Other than the splitter/riving knife -- are these essentially the same saws?

Jim O'Dell
03-02-2009, 5:54 PM
Jason, I had emailed Griz tech assistance back in Jan. about the trunnions, didn't have one in yet to compare, then again the first week of Feb. when some reported they had ordered the saws and they were in stock. The second time, they said the trunnion was heavier, but couldn't tell me why or how much. I'm guessing by the amount of steel the mechanism for the riving knife added to the trunnion. But some pictures make the G0690/1 trunnion back piece look a little lighter. I think we need someone to go by (buy?:rolleyes:) one of the Grizzly stores and look at this for us. :D Overall weight of the 691 compared to the 1023 with the 7' rails shows right at 100 lbs more.
Change in the location of the DC port, but who knows if that makes an improvement in collection or not. Anyone know if the 1023 had the sloped shelf leading to the port?
I'm going to guess that the fences are comparable. Just a guess though. It does look to have more adjustments, even more than my Biese.
Both tables are 27" deep...no reason their router table or any of the others wouldn't fit. Might not have the bevel at the front edge like the table does. Jim.

scott spencer
03-02-2009, 7:53 PM
Dunno if these will help at all, but it's good comparison viewing:

http://www.grizzly.com/images/pics/jpeg500/g/g0690_det5.jpg

http://www.grizzly.com/images/pics/jpeg500/g/g1023sl_det1.jpg

John Callahan
03-02-2009, 9:46 PM
If my eyes aren't deceiving me it looks like the G0691 has a RH cast iron extension wing ............ I don't think the G1023SLX does. Might be where some of the extra weight comes from.

Jim O'Dell
03-02-2009, 10:07 PM
John, the parts list shows a right CI extension. Maybe someone with one of the 1023SLX units will confirm. Jim.

glenn bradley
03-02-2009, 11:06 PM
You can see the difference in the trunnion required to angle the riving knife with the blade. Beyond that, I don't know.

Duncan Horner
03-02-2009, 11:25 PM
I have 1023SLX.

2 CI extensions, one left, one right. Extra RH extension beyond the CI is melamine over plywood.

Jason White
03-03-2009, 6:48 AM
Just looking at the pictures, it would appear that the trunnion assembly on the 1023 has a bit more mass to it. Not sure if that's really an advantage or not, though I imagine it would be.

Jason

Dunno if these will help at all, but it's good comparison viewing:

http://www.grizzly.com/images/pics/jpeg500/g/g0690_det5.jpg

http://www.grizzly.com/images/pics/jpeg500/g/g1023sl_det1.jpg

scott spencer
03-03-2009, 7:17 AM
Here's a different look of the trunnions from the 1023"S" from Grizzly's website. It looks to be an older version of the same system shown for the 1023"SL", but is right tilt vs left tilt....just different color paint, and less cabinet shroud around it (that might even be just some "photoshop" effects for the catalog pic).

http://www.grizzly.com/images/pics/jpeg500/g/g1023s_det1.jpg

The whole swing arm and arbor carriage look the same except for the riving knife accommodations for the 0690 (which I think is a pretty clever adaption to an existing design). The trunnion brackets are a bit different on the 1023 than the 0690....the arc that bevels the whole system looks like a tighter radius on the 1023, plus the male/female orientation of components of the rear bracket system are reversed compared to the 0690. I'm not seeing much evidence of one being significantly heavier than the other though. It looks to me like they added the gear for the riving knife, and adapted a different bracket system for the 0690 from the same basic trunnion system that's on the 1023.

Shiraz Balolia
03-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Answers in the text of the quote.

Thank you for the interest.

I have some questions about Grizzly's new 10" cabinet saws and am hoping Shiraz will weigh in here.

Other than a riving knife and the color of the saw's cabinet, I'm wondering what the major differences are between the G1023 and the new G0690/GO691.

My questions for Shiraz:

Heavier. See weights listed on our web site.

Similar design, but G1023 is slightly beefier. Both are very heavy duty and, in most cases, better than others on the market.

Very similar.

Not better functionaly, but I personally like the feel of the G0690/91

I will have to punt on that one. Will physically have to see if the G1023 router table ext. wing will fit. Might have hole alignment issue, but sizes appear to be similar. Worse case, we may have factory make one that we will offer at a later date.

And yes, it is a Leeson motor on the G0690/91.

Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide. I know a lot of us are very interested in Grizzly's new offering.

Jason

Jim O'Dell
03-03-2009, 10:49 AM
There is a picture on WoodNet of the trunnion on a 691. New owner took his top off in preparation to take the saw to his basement shop. Looks just like the picture above, only black instead of green. ;) Also there is a closeup picture of the motor label...the Leeson motor label. Just thought I'd pass along some info. Jim.

Jason White
03-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Terrific!

Thanks so much for answering my questions, Shiraz. I imagine the new saw will be a big seller for you.

Jason

Answers in the text of the quote.

Thank you for the interest.

Rich Lightfoot
03-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Well I thought I was going to be able to post some 'new' info because I stopped by the Springfield MO showroom on my way home from LA.

From what I could tell sticking my head in the cabinet and looking up the the trunnions are very similar with the 690 being slightly more 'streamlined' so possibly a little lighter. I was also very surprised to see a Leeson motor on the 690.

Fit and finish on both saws was very good and the controls on both were smooth and easy to operate. Of course that's what I expected for showroom machines.

Without actually being able to put it to real use I would say the fence on the 690 is definitely superior to the one on the 1023. As noted it 'felt' better and has numerous adjustment points that looked very easy to set any which way you want.

The miter gauges are different but seemed very similar in terms of adjustments and quality.

I liked the riving knife and guard. There were 2 knives for through and non-through cuts. The guard was narrower than I expected and it's a split design so the sides move independently of each other. The top spline of the guard is heavy gauge metal with a window cut in it so you can see through to the blade.

I would think dust collection should be about the same, the collection points on each saw will make piping easier for some and more difficult for others depending on each individual set up.

If you want the cast iron router extension your safe bet seems to be the 1023 as nobody knows if Grizzly's current extension will fit the 690 which I find odd and irritating. How could they not know?

Right now a 1023SLW is $1125.00 with free shipping. A 690 with the router table extension which may or may not work would be $1640.45 after shipping. A $515.45 difference. Not to mention the extra sales tax in my case. I will be getting a new saw this year and I do want a router table extension but these days $515.45 is a big difference. On the other hand, I could 'forget' the 1023 exists, get a base 690 and an Incra TS-LS.....See honey, It's really not that much more........

Chris Allen
03-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Does anyone know if the Benchdog Promax will fit? It looks like it won't fit the left side of the saw, but I could be wrong. Any problems mounting it on the right side?

Jim O'Dell
03-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Interesting, the pictures above for the 690/1 trunnions appear different than the pictures the poster took of his 691 over at woodnet. The back part where it attaches to the cabinet is 3 pieces instead of 1. Not sure why, or if it makes any difference. Can't see that it would. Maybe the picture above doesn't have the 2 extra mount pieces attached. Just an observation. Jim.

Guy Belleman
09-15-2009, 4:56 AM
When I ordered my G0690, I asked Grizzly Technical Service if the router extension table would fit and was told yes, that the bolt patterns were the same.

I am extremely happy with the G0690. I have also owned the G1023SL and was very happy with it as well. Being a Government employee I had to get rid of it when transferred. Both saws are similar. The riving knife and short extension table on the 0690 are superb additions. I wonder why I didn't get a saw with a riving knife 30 years ago.

I do agree with Mr Balolia, the fence on the G0690 seems to float nicely along. It took a little adjusting, but when I got it tweaked, it is just like air hockey disc floating to where I want it, and then it locks down tight. It is beautiful. It did take some adjusting from the factory settings to get it there though.

Two months ago, I had no trouble cutting boards out of 5 inch planks in increasing deep cuts. No trouble with alignment, the cuts lined up perfectly when I had to turn the plank over for the opposite side cut.

Rick Moyer
09-15-2009, 5:45 AM
Hello Guy. Would you say that there are no discernable differences between the two saws (other than the riving knife) that would make one choose one over the other? Do you feel that the 0690 is at least equal to the 1023?

James Combs
02-17-2010, 9:32 PM
I realize this is an older thread but I too am looking/debating between the the G1023 and the G0690. It appears that Grizzly has updated the G1023 series. I would like to see the thread updated for the "R" series G1023's as in G1023RL & RLW answering the same original questions. The trunnion on the new G1023R's appears to be significantly different then the older "S" series and the one on the G0690. If anyone can pitch in here I would appreciate it.
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/JDCOMB%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png

I have some questions about Grizzly's new 10" cabinet saws.

My questions :

Jason