PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic cutting of circles with raster combined

Sylvia Feller-Dow
03-02-2009, 7:50 AM
Hello everyone,
I must be having a blonde moment. After several failed attempts, here is my problem. I am trying to make something for my daughter. Bubbles, simple bubbles out of 1/8" clear acrylic. Where they overlayed each other it also cut it versus raster engraving. Please help. You know how when you over think something you get that mental block? I am there! How do I combine a bunch of circles with just the outline being cut, but the inside raster engraved. Help!!
Thanks guys.
Syl

Kenneth Hertzog
03-02-2009, 7:59 AM
Sylvia
you could do it one of two ways depending on your machine
you could raster first and then cut you circles second
two different programs
or if your machine will do it set your outline to a different color
and have it run that pass second and raster first.
ken

Steve Clarkson
03-02-2009, 8:01 AM
Hello everyone,
I must be having a blonde moment. After several failed attempts, here is my problem. I am trying to make something for my daughter. Bubbles, simple bubbles out of 1/8" clear acrylic. Where they overlayed each other it also cut it versus raster engraving. Please help. You know how when you over think something you get that mental block? I am there! How do I combine a bunch of circles with just the outline being cut, but the inside raster engraved. Help!!
Thanks guys.
Syl

Is this what you want?

Sylvia Feller-Dow
03-02-2009, 8:51 AM
Thanks so much. I was hoping to do it in one shot so the dual file sounds best. Can you tell me if there are any good instruction sites regarding the coloring of the hairlines. I have honestly never had to use it. My specialty is in pictures not so much vector cutting, never mind over lapping onces.
Thanks
Syl

Phil Salvati
03-02-2009, 9:18 AM
Syl,

Do you have Corel Draw? There are some great tips on www.coreltips.com

If you put in your signature what machines and software you have...someone with the same products will chime in with a fix for ya.

P

Sylvia Feller-Dow
03-02-2009, 9:41 AM
Yes, I love Corel.
It is the main program I use for the laser.
Syl

Sylvia Feller-Dow
03-02-2009, 9:47 AM
Steve, the attachment is not working for me. Can you send it full size, not as a zip?
Thanks so much
Syl

Steve Clarkson
03-02-2009, 9:54 AM
Sure, just PM with your e-mail address. Is it what you needed? If you put the two of them on top of each other, you should be able to raster and vector in one shot. Also, after you saved it, did you unzip it?

Sylvia Feller-Dow
03-02-2009, 9:56 AM
Yes, but it showed up as a black square.
dragonflylaser@msn.com
Thanks so much. I wonder if my zip program is out dated.
Syl

Harlan Kilbourn
03-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Steve,

I tried to file and it did not load into X3, so is this X4? . Sylvia may have a different version of Corel.

Harlan

Sylvia Feller-Dow
03-02-2009, 10:30 AM
I have Corel 11

Dave Johnson29
03-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Where they overlayed each other it also cut it versus raster engraving.

Hi Sylvia,

Unless I misunderstand the problem.

Open the Properties Docker (Windows / Dockers) and select the stuff you want to raster then set the line width to 1.0pt or greater. The Hairline and 0.5pt will always vector but 1.0pt and up will raster.

That should raster first then cut after all the rastering is done.

Sylvia Feller-Dow
03-02-2009, 10:39 AM
No, you have the jest of it but due to the circles over lapping it cuts it all the way through after rastering. I am trying to figure a way where I can combine cutting and rastering in one shot which should be possible, but how? by creating an outline on top to the image or is there a trick to it?
Still puzzled due to not being able to open the file that was sent to me. Another question, I use Corel draw 11, never really had an issue but is the corel x4 better and if so in what way?
Syl

Steve Clarkson
03-02-2009, 10:59 AM
My bad......I always forget that not everyone has x4.....I re-sent it to her in v10.

Phil Salvati
03-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Syl,

Here is your outline in red. Just add your red circle for the hoop.

Phil

Woops! I didn't get the inside lines saved to the file...but Steve got it done before me!

Linda Tetreault
03-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Is This what you need?

Martin Boekers
03-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Sylvia,

It sounds like you will need two levels, one that will raster and one that will cut.

take the first level (raster) and set the circle outlines to a rasterable width, each engraver has it's perameters. My Epilog the smallest is .5

Then after you have that set for the first level, duplicate it and set for hairline (give that a color to make it easier)

Then under the arrange dropdown, you can select shaping.

This gives you options about combine areas that overlap or intersect.
If you fiddle around a bit with this I think you can get what you need.

Then (Epilog driver) you can chose combine to set your raster and vect.

Hope this helps.

Marty

Martin Boekers
03-02-2009, 1:27 PM
Sylvia,

Try this one,

Marty

George D Gabert
03-02-2009, 2:54 PM
Is this more like what you need. Change the width of the lines in the raster layer to your liking. And the colors in the raster and cut layers to your machine requirements.

Regards
GDG

Sylvia Feller-Dow
03-02-2009, 3:23 PM
That works. Thanks so much and have fun with the pups.
Thanks again,
Syl

Sylvia Feller-Dow
03-02-2009, 3:28 PM
That is it!!! Done in one shot. How did were you able to do that in one drawing. That is what I would love to do.
Syl

George D Gabert
03-02-2009, 3:55 PM
I used your drawing as a template.

Made cut layer. Inserted circles on that layer

Made raster layer and and copied circles to that layer

Back to cut layer and then welded circle together to get outline

Back to Raster layer and turn circles into arcs. Move endpoints of arcs to where needed.

Set widths and colors

Deleted original template layer

Regards
GDG

Sylvia Feller-Dow
03-02-2009, 4:44 PM
Thank you again,
Syl

Howard Garner
03-02-2009, 5:14 PM
Read most of the responses and others have provided solution, but not how to get it done.
The problem as I see it is the overlapping "bubbles" get cut out.
I can think of two ways around this.
1: Create and out boundary around all the bubbles - make this your cut color, make the rest as raster
2: Break the bubble circles into arcs for the outer section and inner section designate the cut and raster as required.

Howard Garner
VersaLaser VL-300

Sylvia Feller-Dow
03-02-2009, 6:01 PM
That is exactly what I needed. Thanks so much
Syl
Legend 36EXT