PDA

View Full Version : Festool Router Bits

Steven Wilson
07-14-2004, 12:13 PM
I'm looking at the Festool OF1010EQ router and trying to pick out a few 8mm bits. My main use for this router, besides 32mm system holes, would be for datos. I'm wondering which bits you folk's use; straight/mortising bits? spiral bits? when do you choose one over the other? what sizes have you found usefull?

Thanks

Frank Pellow
07-14-2004, 12:26 PM
I don't have any answer about the bits however I do have a question.

Why are you not considering the new Festool OF 2000 E router?

Greg Mann
07-14-2004, 12:26 PM
I'm looking at the Festool OF1010EQ router and trying to pick out a few 8mm bits. My main use for this router, besides 32mm system holes, would be for datos. I'm wondering which bits you folk's use; straight/mortising bits? spiral bits? when do you choose one over the other? what sizes have you found usefull?

Thanks
Steve,

In addition to the SMC regulars you might PM Bob Marino and solicit some advice. I don't know if he is your Festool ISA or not but he is very helpful. He is a kind of bonus with Festool.

Greg

Greg Mann
07-14-2004, 12:39 PM

Frank,

I don't know about Steve's reasons but I have been leaning toward the 1010 as my next router as well. I don't have a huge collection of 1/2 shank bits and I felt the 1010 with its handle layout might be real convenient for freehand work. I felt I might not even need a laminate trimmer because the 1010 seems so ergonomic. Building a collection of 8mm bits doesn't seem too objectionable to me given the quality of Festool's stuff and the prices are not out-of-line with other top-shelf sources.

I know there will come a time when I will feel the need for the OF2000 but It really looks like a lot more to handle, and since I am relatively new to this game, learning with the 1010 seemed like it might keep me out of trouble. Just MHO. Goodby for now. I need to go over and see how your workshop is coming along.:)

Greg

Steven Wilson
07-14-2004, 12:51 PM

I'm looking at the OF1010 specifically for doing 32mm system holes and the OF2000 is really too large to work with that. I already have a PC7518 and don't really need/want another large router. The other use I see for the OF1010 is for acurately making dato's and sliding dovetails. I have a complete collection of 8mm Leigh bits, the only other bits I need are straight ones. For edge work I can use a PC690 or the PC7518 either hand held or in a table, or crank up the shaper, but then again I really "hate" routers so I'm more likely to cut edge detail with a hand plane.

Frank Pellow
07-14-2004, 12:51 PM
Greg, those sound like good reasons to me. Perhaps, I should reconsider my future purchase.

Gene Collison
07-14-2004, 10:12 PM
I'm looking at the OF1010 specifically for doing 32mm system holes and the OF2000 is really too large to work with that. I already have a PC7518 and don't really need/want another large router. The other use I see for the OF1010 is for acurately making dato's and sliding dovetails. I have a complete collection of 8mm Leigh bits, the only other bits I need are straight ones. For edge work I can use a PC690 or the PC7518 either hand held or in a table, or crank up the shaper, but then again I really "hate" routers so I'm more likely to cut edge detail with a hand plane.

I have the Festool 1000OF router. I bought it with tongue in cheek thinking it was too small to be really useful. As it turns out, I seem to use it more than my big routers for non table routing operations. I use it a lot on the guide rail where it really comes into it's own. The ergonomics are great, it has plenty of power and very precise (metric) adjustments. After using, it the size makes sense and I wouldn't want it any bigger, I'd buy it again without hesitation.

Gene