PDA

View Full Version : The Black Crow

Dewey Torres
03-02-2009, 3:57 AM
Another in my series of stoppers:

Spalted box elder with ebony/ca inlay (new)

Still experimenting with form and photos as well as inlay on curved objects.

Also looking for any ideas you think are cool for the next one.

Thanks for looking!

alex carey
03-02-2009, 4:15 AM
That is a cool looking piece and a cool looking crow. Nice job.

Jeff Nicol
03-02-2009, 5:45 AM
Dewey, Each piece we see shows improvment and excitement from you! I enjoy your easy way and the care you put into your inlays. Keep on with your craft and have fun every day! I am on my way to the shop soon, I started a Finial HF yesterday and want to get some more done on it!

Have a great day,

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
03-02-2009, 8:09 AM
Very creative work Dewey! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!

Like the second photo the best because it displays the form well. I notice that the photos are larger than the max size allowed and that causes the vBulletin software to kick in and resize/compress your images for you. That means you may have lost some of your color or focus adjustments. Just something for you to consider........

David Christopher
03-02-2009, 8:46 AM
Dewey, those look great. everyone seems to get better...looking forward to the next ones

Paul Douglass
03-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Nice job. We have Covey Run wine here, has quail on the label, than there is Canoe wine, Yellow Tail has a kanagroo. Make a grape cluster and leaf. Take a trip to the store and look at all the labels. Lots of ideas there.

Than tell me how you do that. I like it.

Scott Conners
03-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Very cool! I want to see one with a bird of prey soaring on it! A trout jumping would also probably be a great seller. Is it easier to do the inlay work on the side grain? I imagine a mushroom shaped stopper with a soft curve to the top would give you a nice large canvas, but would be end grain.

Richard Madison
03-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Steve, I did not know that the forum software did that. Was going to suggest that if the background is white, the white balance is off a bit. Can increase the depth of field a little by backing the camera away and zooming in with the lens. Also might increase exposure (second picture) by 1/3 or 2/3 of a stop. Just some thoughts.

Jim Becker
03-02-2009, 5:59 PM
Very clever, Dewey! You're getting this spinny thing fast!

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2009, 6:01 PM
Dewey that is a great looking stopper. Really like the inlay.

Dave Halter
03-02-2009, 6:05 PM
Great stopper. I like what you're doing with the inlays.

Dave

Tony De Masi
03-02-2009, 7:21 PM
Another great one Dewey. You are progressing pretty rapidly, so keep going.

Tony

Dewey Torres
03-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Very creative work Dewey! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!

Like the second photo the best because it displays the form well. I notice that the photos are larger than the max size allowed and that causes the vBulletin software to kick in and resize/compress your images for you. That means you may have lost some of your color or focus adjustments. Just something for you to consider........

Thanks Steve...always room for improvement!