PDA

View Full Version : HF has WOODEN planes?

Matt Ranum
03-02-2009, 12:44 AM
I'll admit to buying some things from Harbor Freight and do from time to time flip through the website looking at things. Not my first choice of places to shop but its handy sometimes.

Anyway, I'm going through their special order section tonight and found of all things, full size wooden hand planes. http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/search.do?o=40&category=WOODWORKING+HAND+TOOLS&subcategory=Misc.+Woodworking+Tools&search.searchdeep=false&search.subcatid=201&s=1

From the pictures they actually don't look too bad. I don't intend on trying one but has anyone here played with one of these? Just curious.

I picked up one of the #33 planes a while back to play with and to see how bad it was I mean you don't buy much for $9.00. I gotta say I was a little surprised at its quality, its no Bailey or Bedrock but a usable plane just the same.

Ben Rafael
03-02-2009, 11:45 AM
I haven't seen those in their stores.
There are also no prices listed.

Richard Magbanua
03-02-2009, 3:45 PM
I could waste hours in Harbor Freight!
Those planes look like they are relabeled Mujingfang planes from China. I have a few on my shelf. For the price they are amazing and once you get them adjusted they work very well. It's just a different type of experience. Finding some of these in my HF store would be a pleasant surprise.

Ben Rafael
03-02-2009, 4:18 PM
Wood planes are pretty simple and easy to tune. Replace the irons and they might be a deal.

John Shuk
03-02-2009, 5:30 PM
Harbor freight USA . com is different than harbor freight . com I'm not sure of why they have 2 different sites but they do. You may be able to find them on the other one.

Dave Lehnert
03-02-2009, 9:23 PM
Harbor freight USA . com is different than harbor freight . com I'm not sure of why they have 2 different sites but they do. You may be able to find them on the other one.
Harbor Freight USA . com is a listing of product sold in the retail stores. So they may in store soon.

I have this plane purchased from HF and for $9.00 it's a bargain. Like the above post said not a high end tool but a bargain.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/90300-90399/90310.gif

Mike Henderson
03-02-2009, 9:32 PM
I have the Stanley version of that plane (Stanley 78), but I'm missing the rod and fence. I wonder if the rod and fence would fit a Stanley 78. For $9 I'd buy their plane just to get those parts.

[Or anyone have a fence and rod they want to sell??]

Mike

Michael Gaynes
03-02-2009, 10:46 PM

Mike

How about $10?

http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/nu78fekit.html

Mike Henderson
03-02-2009, 11:02 PM
How about $10?

Thanks - I didn't think to look there.

Mike

David White II
03-06-2009, 11:36 AM
$9! Even the Anant and Groz versions go for $80, online and at Woodcraft, resp. Neither of the HFs nearby carry this or the woodies though, and they cant be ordered online. Anyone want to make a care package? There did seem to be a bunch of the no. 33 planes available. I thought about getting one to make a scrub plane approximation, but it seems too small.

Quesne Ouaques
03-07-2009, 8:33 PM
I bought an 9 5/8" ebony Taiwan-style hand plane (Windsor Design "curved wood plane") at my local HF about 4 years ago ($12 on sale). They have disappeared from the shelf since then, but I've kept my eyes open.

Some of the metal work is a bit rough, and it took a while to get it set up right, but in the end I was impressed with the value. It's really not a bad plane. I keep it razor sharp set for a paper-thin cut, and it's my dowel-flushing and finishing plane. For the price, I would buy two more and set them up a little differently for a variety of purposes.

I'm not a big fan of HF (especially for power tools) but I have found you can find the odd value -- or even a real gem -- if you try a few things and return what you don't like.

Dave Lehnert
03-07-2009, 9:57 PM
$9! Even the Anant and Groz versions go for $80, online and at Woodcraft, resp. Neither of the HFs nearby carry this or the woodies though, and they cant be ordered online. Anyone want to make a care package? There did seem to be a bunch of the no. 33 planes available. I thought about getting one to make a scrub plane approximation, but it seems too small.
Funny I can't find them now but when I made the post I got the pic from their web page.

Bill Houghton
03-07-2009, 11:04 PM
How about $10?

Stanley's shipping prices are pretty steep. Keep that in mind when price shopping.

Rob Luter
03-10-2009, 3:48 PM
I have the Stanley version of that plane (Stanley 78), but I'm missing the rod and fence. I wonder if the rod and fence would fit a Stanley 78. For $9 I'd buy their plane just to get those parts.

Mike

I have a couple of spare fences and I'll mail you one. Just PM your mailing address. The rods are available from Stanley as was shown in an earlier response.

Rob Luter
03-10-2009, 3:50 PM
Stanley's shipping prices are pretty steep. Keep that in mind when price shopping.

When I ordered a part I called and convinced them they should just drop it in a first class envelope. I think postage was a couple bucks. I could be mistaken though as I've slept since then :confused:.

george wilson
03-10-2009, 3:51 PM
HF plane parts may possibly be metric,and not fit a Stanley.