PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know Anything About Parawood?

Terry Teadtke
03-02-2009, 12:30 AM
Thanks

Terry

Mike Parzych
03-02-2009, 7:34 AM
It's the lumber from rubber trees. They have a certain number of years of productivity, then they go more or less dormant. The groves are cleared and replanted. It's basically junk wood that came on the market when someone decided to make use of the trunks that were normally burned. It's found a use in far east mass-produced furniture.

Jamie Buxton
03-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Like Mike said. It is junk wood because as lumber it has no character. It is kinda white, and big-pored, and has no chatoyance. It is blah. It won't hurt you, but there are many prettier woods you could choose. (Also, I've never seen it as lumber. I've only seen it in finished products.)

John Thompson
03-02-2009, 8:58 PM
A large majority of the furniture you see at Bassett, etc. that comes from SE Asia anymore is para-wood which is rubber tree as mentioned. They also use it for pallets as it's cheap there when it is re-cycled. So.. not great figure but with stain it can be used if you have some. I made a set of chairs for a kitchen table from bottom pallet runners I saved from work for over a year. They look fine with stain but the PW is not a good stand-alone as has been stated.

Sarge..