PDA

View Full Version : Tool and Lumber Gloat

Gary Benson
03-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Answered a craigslist ad and scored a nice set of Lie-Nielsen small spoke shaves, one flat and one rounded bottom, for a great price. Nice guy, but given the economic times, a recent divorce, and a recent injury, he needed cash more than the tools. He also sold me some nice 4/4 maple, 3 4/4 wide walnut boards, 2 wide 4/4 cherry boards, 2 6 inch 4/4 cherry boards, 4 very nice 5/4 cherry boards (all boards over 8'), and one nice 24 inch 8/4 piece of curly maple. All said and done, I gave him about 4.50 per board foot. Not a great deal, but I figured I would likely buy it somewhere, and again he could use the money, plus I was already there.

I have been self-employed for 11 years so I understand the burden of paying bills, payroll, long hours etc. Counting my blessings, our business is holding up, and we have saved a nice cash reserve for just these times. For me, I prefer this type of economic rescue plan, hope he gets back on his feet asap.

I will enjoy the tools and lumber, but given the circumstances, hard to truly gloat.

David Christopher
03-01-2009, 11:58 PM
glad somebody cares....good gloat....what cha gonna make???

Brian Kent
03-02-2009, 1:19 AM
Good for both of you. Glad it worked out.

Matt Ranum
03-02-2009, 10:33 AM
"I have been self-employed for 11 years so I understand the burden of paying bills, payroll, long hours etc. Counting my blessings, our business is holding up, and we have saved a nice cash reserve for just these times. For me, I prefer this type of economic rescue plan, hope he gets back on his feet asap."

Glad it worked out for the both of you. Its nice to be able to help people like that and not take advantage of them like some do.