PDA

View Full Version : Finial Lidded Box

Bernie Weishapl
03-01-2009, 6:23 PM
Well Steve thanks for the inspiration. I decided I really like the box you posted so decided to see if I could make a variation of it. The finial I think looks pretty good and has good lines but I am not sure of the base. After I was done I get in that mood of could a, should a, well you all know. Anyway doesn't have any finish on it yet. I am going to be on the road so thought I would leave it and see if it moves and if not I will put finish on it when I get back. The box body is cherry. The finial and base are bubinga. I will finish it probably with antique oil. It is 8 1/2" tall overall and 2 1/2" at the widest. Let me know what you think.

Toney Robertson
03-01-2009, 7:24 PM
Nice Bernie.

Will you try and expose it to some sunlight to darken the cherry?

Or are you worried about the cherry darkening to the point that it would be close in color intensity to the bubinga?

Good job.

Toney

David Christopher
03-01-2009, 7:28 PM
Bernie, that is beautiful. love the color combo and the form

Alan Trout
03-01-2009, 7:31 PM
Well done Bernie, I really like it

Alan

Jim Kountz
03-01-2009, 7:56 PM
Beautiful Bernie!! Love the form, great job!!

Steve Schlumpf
03-01-2009, 8:41 PM
Nice work Bernie! I know what you mean about the could a, should a, would a problem - which is why I put it on a shelf and forgot about it for a year! I think you did real good on this! Nice wood combination, good form and a nice flow to the piece! Nice job!

Don Carter
03-01-2009, 8:49 PM
Bernie:
I like it a lot. I like the wood combo.
Travel safely.

All the best.

Don

Richard Madison
03-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Looks good Bernie! The bulb of the finial might be just a tad big, but a cool piece nonetheless.

Bernie Weishapl
03-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Thanks everyone. I have another one drying now out of walnut and cherry. I did the base a little different and I like it a lot better although I think Richard hit it. I wish I had made the ball smaller and that might have did it. Was fun making them.

Yep Steve I do that on about every piece. The LOML says I am way to critical. I told her that how I improve my turnings. She just gave me the old roll the eye's look.

Dewey Torres
03-02-2009, 4:04 AM
If it would make you two feel better I could try one!

JK! Not yet... nice rendition Bernie!

Jeff Nicol
03-02-2009, 5:49 AM
Bernie, I too have been inspired by Steve, you and many others to make a HF with base and finial. Mine is out of white pine and indian rose wood. The pine has some blue and pink mold with some curl in it so I had to make something out of it.

This one is great and the next one is anticipated by all!

Jeff

steven carter
03-02-2009, 8:49 AM
Bernie,

Really nice! Good choice of woods. The only thing I might suggest is smoothing the transition between the bottom of the box and the pedestal. I did a crude photoshop edit to show what I mean. Finial and pedestal both look good to me, I wouldn't change them at all. Just my $.02 and probable not worth half as much:).

Steve

Jack Giovo
03-02-2009, 8:54 AM
Bernie

I have seen some of your posts and you are very talented nice job again - very nice work:)

Jack

michael gallagher
03-02-2009, 9:20 AM
Bernie, I think it looks pretty good and please post a follow up after you get it finished.

I like your photo tent - your sheet does better than my old towel draped over the washing machine!

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2009, 6:12 PM
Thanks again. Steven I see what you mean about the transition. I will give that a try to see how it turns out.

I will post when finished along with the walnut and cherry one I did later that night. I did the base a little different. I think it turned out better than this one.

Tony De Masi
03-02-2009, 7:18 PM
Very nicely done Bernie. I think I agree with Steven also about the transition from the base to the hollow form though.

Safe travels.

Tony

Leo Van Der Loo
03-02-2009, 7:21 PM
Hi Bernie :), looking at your rendition of Steve's "box", there's both a nicer and less so to my eye, I do like the visual separation between the foot and the vessel in color and shape, (one thing I didn't like on Steve's)but what I don't think is the best on yours, is the size of the bulb on your finial, I do feel it is just too large :(, and like I say, just IMO :) :D