PDA

View Full Version : Marking solutions

Gary Shoemake
07-14-2004, 9:42 AM
Hi folks

Just wondering, has anyone used any of the marking solutions put out by an company called Thermark? The place where I bought my laser recommended this product. They come in 6 colors and can be used by low power lasers for marking ceramic tiles and they claim some metals. I've got a small bottle but haven't had a chance to try it. I'm recently retired and finished a degree and now starting a small buiness in southern New Jersey. Any feedback would be welcomed.

Gary

Keith Outten
07-14-2004, 12:59 PM
Gary,

I've heard of the produck but haven't had the time lately to place an order. I did purchase some of the laser tiles, although expensive they were great. Laserbits stopped selling laser tiles when they heard about Thermark so it is the only product available that I know of right now. If you have a chance to test Thermark please let us know what you think, there are probably ten of us on the edge of our seats :)

Gary Shoemake
07-14-2004, 1:40 PM
PS I was told that the black that I have purcheased will not only handle the tile but glass and metal.

Gary:D

George M. Perzel
07-14-2004, 2:02 PM
Hi Gary;
I haven't tried the Thermark products, but have tried Cermark LMM-6000. I think it's from a different manufacturer. It comes in different forms-I got a large spray can-expensive, about $60, but works great on metal and a can goes a long way.
I would add picture to this reply to show results but can't figure out how.
George M. Perzel
LaserArts
[link moderated]

Gary Shoemake
07-14-2004, 2:40 PM
Hi George

You have a mercury 100 right? The folks at Signwarehouse are very high on this product especially since it does come in colors and they have tested it with a moderate degree of success on 12 watt machines. The outfit that I got mine through is near Pittsburg. You apply it with an airbrush withdiluting the solution with demineralized water or denatured alcohol. I have a show this weekend but you can bet I'll try it the first thing next week.

Gary

George M. Perzel
07-14-2004, 7:06 PM
Hi Gary;
Yep- have a 100 watt Mercury-great unit. Love to hear the results of your efforts. Thanks
PS- will try the Cermark on tile-never thought of it but might work.
George

George M. Perzel
07-15-2004, 7:10 AM
Hi Gary;
Finally figured how to post pics-here's one of a stainless stell knife marked with Cermark. Stuff is amazingly durable-fuses to the metal.
George M. Perzel

Gary Shoemake
07-15-2004, 9:17 AM
Hi George

Nice work, I hope I have that much success when I try mine. I should Have gotten a higher power laser but funds said 12 watt. I'm haing fun with it and am starting to get some business. We do engraving for some jewelers on semi-precious stones and are get orders for tiles for bathrooms in the seasdie communities. There are some that I've done with wood adornments over lintels for some builders in Avalon and Stone Harbor NJ where they tear down 3 million dollar houses to put 5 million ones up. Thanks for sharing your experiences it really helps.

Gary

Keith Outten
07-15-2004, 12:19 PM
I called Thermark yesterday and asked them for send me some samples of their product line so I could write an article for this forum. They didn't exactly promise to ship samples but they did take my address so we will see.

Thermark did offer to ship me engraved samples which I declined. If the product doesn't work on my machine it isn't much of a test.

Update 7-15-04

I got a call from the Tech Support group at Thermark and they agreed to send me a couple samples of their black marking products, one for tile and glass and another for metal marking. As soon as I receive the material and run some tests I will post the results here in this forum.

According to Thermarks tech support their products are as permanent as the surface material you are marking. They do have several colors available as well which the CerMark brand to the best of my knowledge does not. Colored marking products are not yet available in spray cans however they expect to have them in just a few weeks.

Keith Outten
07-15-2004, 3:49 PM
George,

How do you test Stainless Steel to see if it has a coating? I have found that when there is a coating the CerMark material will rub off, it's not permanent. I have used both a buffing wheel and bead blasting with glass beads which seems to be the better choice before engraving.

Have you had this problem?

George M. Perzel
07-15-2004, 7:47 PM
Hi Keith;
I guess I've never run into the problem. The stainless I have done so far has been confined to knife handles and blades, Medical bracelets, and industrial equipment ID tags-no problem with any of them (that I've heard about). I have had some problems with the permanency if the power is too high.
Anxious to hear how you make out with the Thermark-can it be sprayed with an airbrush?
George

Keith Outten
07-15-2004, 9:51 PM
George,

According to Thermarks tech support you can mix the paste, two parts denatured alcohol or water to one part of the paste and spray it with an airbrush. Like CerMark this is the prefered method of applying Thermark. Spray cans are available for the black marking material but not the colored ones as yet.

If you search this forum you will find a thread I made concerning engraving some Stainless Steel flasks. The flasks were coated so I had to remove the coating to get CerMark to work. This happens on SS coffee mugs as well. Raw SS like flat bar and sheet isn't a problem and works well without prepping at all. I found that most of the polished SS is coated but removing the coating also means disturbing the finish. I wish there was a way to test the steel before engraving so that you would know if it is coated.

Gary Shoemake
10-01-2004, 6:55 PM
Hi Keith

I saw in a couple of your other posts that you have used Thermark on a project or two. How do you rate it and how does it stack up against Cermark? I have a good sucess rate on some things I have done.

Gary

Chuck Burke
10-02-2004, 7:22 PM
Gary,
You mentioned in a previous post that you talked to or that the folks from Sign Warehouse were raving about Thermark...

Did you buy your laser from Sign Warehouse? How is your experience?

I recently returned from a visit to their office/showroom/warehouse in Denison Texas... so I was just curious what your experience was.

Chuck Burke
Pacific LaZer Works
Woodinville WA.
:cool:

Gary Shoemake
10-02-2004, 10:20 PM
Hi Chuck

Yes I did buy mine from Signwarehouse and have had nothing but positive results from dealing with them. I have talked to Kevin many times and he and Eddie have always been of great help to me. I just wished that I would have been able to get at least a 25 watt machine. I got a 12, and even though it is low powered it still does a lot that I want it to do. I'm told that it can be upgraded to a 25 with a visit from one of the folks in Texas, so that is my next goal.

My phone calls are returned within 3-5 hours after leaving a message unless it is toward the end of the workday. Emails are usually returned within 8 hours and sometimes in the late night early morning. I really have to say I'm very satisfied.
How has your experience been? I follow your posts with great interest. I have a friend in the Seattle area who works for a sign shop that does a lot of work for Boeing and he was telling me that they are training him to use a laser for some projects.

Gary

Chuck Burke
10-03-2004, 12:38 PM
Gary,
I'm glad you had a good experience with Sign Warehouse. After my tour of their facility and meeting Eddie and my sales rep Ronda, (unfortunately Kevin was not there) my initial recalcitrance has gone away. Everyday I become more and more pleased with my purchase.
On another note, if you want to, make mention to your friend at the sign shop that if they ever have overflow they need help with, I am here and happy to help.

Thanks
Chuck