PDA

View Full Version : New Freud Router - Any suggestions to help??

BOB OLINGER
03-01-2009, 5:24 PM
I purchased one of the Freud FT1700 routers referenced on the Deals & Discount forum a few weeks ago. I was attempting to set it up today for a trial run, however, I had difficulty in getting the shank of the router bit (also Frued bits) into the collect as the collect was too small. I turned off the retaining nut and was able to wiggle the collect out. I gently spread the collect, inserted the bit, put the collect/bit back into the router, but the retaining nut wouldn't go down far enough to catch the threads. So off again; I tried this several times, but if I reset the collect, started the retaining nut, the receptacle diameter was just too small for the bit shank. It just appears the collect ID is a shade too small. But this seems like it shouldn't happen. Anyone with a similar problem or suggestions? In the past, I've used emery cloth to remove minor surface crud on router shanks so they would go in easier, but this is beyond a little emery cloth work. I've been using a router for 30+ years, but never encountered this. I thought I'd share this to see if I'm missing something before trying to contact Freud. Thanks, in advance.

James White
03-01-2009, 5:39 PM
Hi Bob,

Give this a try. Thread the collete nut on to the router shaft till it bottoms out. Then back it off it will turn by hand until a certain point you feel some resistance as you are back it out. Then continue backing it off until that resistance is gone. It is not until that point that you can add or remove a router bit. I believe this is a safety feature. Or at least it is not a defect. I hope that makes sense.

James

BOB OLINGER
03-02-2009, 8:54 AM
Hi James,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it early this am before leaving for work. I tightened the nut as far as possible, then started backing it off, trying the bit along the way, but didn't work. I didn't think to tighten it with the wrench, then start the loosening process - doesn't seem that would help, but I'll try anything to get it to work.

Fred Belknap
03-02-2009, 9:13 AM
You never said what size you are using. My guess it is the wrong size collete, maybe a metric size.

Ray Dockrey
03-02-2009, 9:14 AM
That router, and most routers nowadays have a self releasing collet as James was describing. With the bit in the collet, start untightening it. It will loosen then you will reach some resistence but the bit still won't release. Continue to loosen and you will feel it get loose again. Then the bit will release. I am guessing that what has happened is you haven't backed the collet all the way off. You are hitting resistance and stopping and the bit won't go in the collet. You need to loosen it some more and get past the resistance. Here is an article and video on self releasing collets.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/stuckbits.html

scott spencer
03-02-2009, 9:40 AM
You never said what size you are using. My guess it is the wrong size collete, maybe a metric size.

I have read about a few folks that received the European metric collet, so that's a possibility. Call Freud's CS, they'll likely send you a new collet.

Bill White
03-02-2009, 9:45 AM
I found that I had to loosen the collet much more than on the PC before it would fully release. Once I did that, no probs.
Bill;)

Ray Dockrey
03-02-2009, 9:50 AM
You never said what size you are using. My guess it is the wrong size collete, maybe a metric size.I saw Scott's post so I am editting my post. I have that router and it only comes with 1/2" and 1/4" collets unless they did something weird at the factory.

Dave Sweeney
03-02-2009, 10:35 AM
When I received mine the ¼" collet was missing altogether. A call to Freud customer service was all it took for them to send me out one. Very helpful people there so I'm sure they'll fix you right up with the correct collet. You might want to check out your ¼" collet before calling as it too might be metric.

Brian Runau
03-02-2009, 11:08 AM
I got the wrong collet with my new unit. I got metric VS inch.

Freud took care of it, but their collets are not marked either way.

Brian

Charles McCracken
03-02-2009, 12:57 PM
I purchased one of the Freud FT1700 routers referenced on the Deals & Discount forum a few weeks ago. I was attempting to set it up today for a trial run, however, I had difficulty in getting the shank of the router bit (also Frued bits) into the collect as the collect was too small. I turned off the retaining nut and was able to wiggle the collect out. I gently spread the collect, inserted the bit, put the collect/bit back into the router, but the retaining nut wouldn't go down far enough to catch the threads. So off again; I tried this several times, but if I reset the collect, started the retaining nut, the receptacle diameter was just too small for the bit shank. It just appears the collect ID is a shade too small. But this seems like it shouldn't happen. Anyone with a similar problem or suggestions? In the past, I've used emery cloth to remove minor surface crud on router shanks so they would go in easier, but this is beyond a little emery cloth work. I've been using a router for 30+ years, but never encountered this. I thought I'd share this to see if I'm missing something before trying to contact Freud. Thanks, in advance.

Bob,

The problem is most likely that the nut and collet have become separated. The collet must be securely snapped into the nut before inserting them as an assembly into the router shaft. Try this and let me know.