PDA

View Full Version : Curly maple and walnut desk

Matt Newton
03-01-2009, 3:56 PM
Hello all. Although this is not my first project, it is the first one I feel good enough about to post. I got the basic design from one I saw on the FWW web site IIRC. The wood is curly maple with some spalting. The beading and pulls are walnut. I made the beading using a Stanley 45 I picked up at a yard sale. I even turned the pulls. (It only took me 15 tries to get 4 that looked almost the same.):D I'm not sure if I should make the pulls for the top drawers smaller. Please let me know. The finish is Bush oil. I will be putting a few coats of rubbed varnish on as it will be in the kitchen. Thanks for looking and please be generous with the faults.

Mark Valsi
03-01-2009, 4:13 PM
Matt,

Nice work.

when I look at a piece, I am always looking for good proportions, and yours has it.

The inlays add greatly to the drawers. Your choice of wood from a strategic and tactical view are excellent. A fine choice from which to make the piece, and the good selection of that type.

You didn't try to get too fancy, so the simplicity of the piece stands out.

I'm not so sure about the knobs yet, they may grow on me, but seem a little too large, albeit very nicely done. Definetly the top pulls should be smaller.

all in all, a job very well done !!!

Adam Grills
03-01-2009, 4:38 PM
Looks good but would look better IMO if the lower pulls were not so long and the upper pulls smaller and slightly shorter than the lower (after resizing)
Adam

Brent Smith
03-01-2009, 4:55 PM
Hi Matt,

Nice looking piece. I have to agree about the pulls though. Perhaps cutting the bases off of them would be a simple and eye pleasing fix. Why not try it on some of your practise pulls and see what you think.

Doug Mason
03-01-2009, 9:01 PM
Very nice--I like the style of the piece--it works.

Robert Meyer
03-01-2009, 10:18 PM
A beautiful piece. You have nailed the proportions right on - everything works together. I would also make the knobs (top and bottom) smaller. Nice finish also.

Dewey Torres
03-02-2009, 4:35 AM
I will say the hard work paid off. Nice build and the grain is amazing!

John Keeton
03-02-2009, 6:27 AM
That is some beautiful maple! I agree on the proportions - very nice build. I think on the knobs it is more the large base of the knob that is the distraction, more so than the overall diameter of the knobs. The upper drawers might be able to get by with the same size were it not for the base.

Rob Luter
03-02-2009, 8:04 AM
Nice job. I'm usually put off by a maple/walnut combination but your sparing use of the walnut combined with choice of finish makes for a nice look. Love the figure in the maple!

Jim Kountz
03-02-2009, 8:43 AM
I really like this, simple yet elegant and very pleasing proportions. I agree the upper knobs could be smaller but I hate to tell you that knowing full well myself how hard it is to get four the same!! Even if you dont do anything with them at all this is still one nice piece!!

Matt Newton
03-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Thank you all for your reviews. Like I said, this was not my first project, but it was the one I finally got the nerve up to "put out there." SWMBO keeps telling me the stuff is good but who ever listens to them. :D Thanks again and maybe there will be more postings later.

Jim Becker
03-02-2009, 5:54 PM
Really nice work, Matt!

John Thompson
03-02-2009, 8:27 PM
First.. really.... really nice piece as it is just a well.. nice piece. :)

Agree on the knobs that the upper might be a tad smaller in diameter and the lower not quite as tall. As mentioned.. you could shorten the lower to save time and re-do the upper. I think you answered your on question just by asking it.. You noticed it before we saw it. ;)

But again... that is a very impressive piece.

Sarge..

Chris Padilla
03-02-2009, 8:40 PM
While I like the proportions, I think you used too much figured wood...it distracts my eye...everywhere I look I see figured wood alive and moving. I think I would have left the curly wood at the desktop and drawer fronts and that would be it.

I think the curl loses its impact when used too much in a piece and it becomes a distraction. Perhaps when the desk is "loaded up" with paper and desk items, it will help...I dunno.

BUT, I still like the design and proportions. Very nice job! :)

Jarrod McGehee
03-03-2009, 1:09 AM
Dang that wood sure does look nice!!! I'm a fan for sure. musta cost a fortune! I saw a sweet piece of figured maple at the lumber company I deal with that had a lot of figure in it but I couldn't affort 14.66 a foot :( I really like the color on that whole thing. GOOD JOB

John Michaels
03-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Outstanding job. The figure and color of that maple is top notch. I like everything about the desk, even the knobs.