PDA

View Full Version : Delta/Rockwell 46-111

Lori Kleinberg
03-01-2009, 3:45 PM
Can someone tell me about this lathe. I have the opportunity to buy, haven't checked condition yet. What is a good ball park price? Any concerns with this model. Can I do pens, bowls etc?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Matt Newton
03-01-2009, 4:10 PM
Lori,
I bought a 46-111 about 4 years ago for $500. It also came with all the guys tools, three face plates, a stand, a never been used delta expanding chuck and some other things I couldn't identify:rolleyes:. I don't know what the price they're asking is, but it is a very well made machine for the day. Given that, I just bought a Nova 1624-44 on sale for $900 at Woodcraft. I bought the Rockwell before I started turning and figured I would try it and see if it was something that interested me. Needless to say, the slippery slope has possessed me and there is no turning;) back. You can still get parts for the 46-111. I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, PM me.

Lori Kleinberg
03-01-2009, 5:05 PM
Thanks Matt. I also am not doing any turning yet. I would like to someday, maybe when I get a little better at regular woodworking. I believe he is asking 150 for this lathe. I don't know what or if anything comes with it. He is also selling a Delta scroll saw model 40-601 and a 12" Delta planer. I figured I could probably make a deal if I bought all 3. I don't actually need any of it, but I thought any extra scroll saw for cheap (asking 75) couldn't hurt. I am not sure which Delta planer, but could probably knock price down from 125. I already have a Dewalt 735 and as I said I don't do turning and so know nothing about lathes.
I wouldn't even know any specific questions to ask.

Dennis Ford
03-01-2009, 6:59 PM
Lori;
150 is a very good price for that lathe. It won't do large bowls but is bigger (and better) than a mini lathe if you have plenty of space.

Doug Sewell
03-01-2009, 9:11 PM
I bought that lathe a few months ago. I'm still trying to re build it. The parts , if availible, seem a bit pricey. I had to replace the bearings, the cost was pushing the $100.00 mark but I was able to get them from a friend(auto parts) for less than $30.00.Mine didn't come with a bango but I found one on the bay that would work with a little fiddling. mine had no motor, no stand and no chucks. But it also had no rust and I only had to drive 35 miles and I paid $25.00. I still need to find a motor and chucks so my guess I'll have about $300- $400 by the time I'm finished. But at the end it shoud be as good as new. It needs lots of work but its getting there. I have not had it running yet but it seems to be a nice lathe.Hope this adds some insight for you.
Good luck.

Doug

Lori Kleinberg
03-02-2009, 12:40 AM
Thanks everyone for info and tips. The stuff is still for sale and I really haven't made up my mind yet. I really don't have the room for a mid to large lathe, but I would like to get one some day.

Mike Stephens
03-02-2009, 7:46 AM
Here is a link to my 46-111 http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=104100

I just started turning in December and am loving every minute of it. I believe for the money it is a good first lathe. I do want a bigger 1 already though. Buy as much lathe as you can afford the first time.

Mike